Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2009, 02:27 PM

46 posts, read 177,146 times

Advertisements

We are from WA state and used to be able to buy many food items in bulk, from 10 to 50 lb sacks of flour, farina, oatmeal, bulk honey, molasses, maple and other syrups, sugar, pasta's, all sorts of beans, spices... big canned items, all sorts of nuts, dried fruits and veggies, just about everything, even quick prepare foods, such a large boxes of Krusteaz (just add water) cakes, brownies, ect. oils, shortening. Fresh foods, such as milk, eggs, fruits and vegetables were not available there, but other bulk supply stores would carry those items as well.

We also had access to wholesale grocery stores.. called Rainbow Grocery. It made it a LOT easier to feed the family for less money that regular grocery stores.

Does such stores exist in Wake or Franklin County?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2009, 04:40 PM

583 posts, read 2,802,906 times
I did some searching online and can't find any nearby. I think that something like an Amish bulk foods store would be like you're wanting to find.

Here's one that's in North Carolina, it'd be quite a drive but they do online shopping... or you could always take a trip
Welcome to Yoder's Country Market, Blanch NC. Amish Style Country Store (http://yodersmart.com/index.html - broken link)

Old 10-31-2009, 04:43 PM

583 posts, read 2,802,906 times
Found another thread that might have helpful information for you...

https://www.city-data.com/forum/ralei...-triangle.html

Old 11-01-2009, 03:31 PM

46 posts, read 177,146 times
Thanks so much for the suggestions. I'll follow up on them. Hard to believe there is no demand for buying bulk quantity foods for the family household.

I'm also interested in assorted TVP flavored dry goods and tofu sources besides grocery stores.

Thanks all!

Old 11-01-2009, 03:49 PM

9,848 posts, read 30,284,407 times
Buying in Bulk. Aren't we talking about Costco's?

Old 11-01-2009, 03:53 PM

60 posts, read 129,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cottonswoods View Post
...I'm also interested in assorted TVP flavored dry goods and tofu sources besides grocery stores.

Thanks all!
Try Grand Asian Market in Cary South Hills Mall for the cheapest tofu I've found.

They have aseptic boxes, refrigerated rectangular tubs, and a variety of flavored refrigerated options.

They also make and sell fresh tofu on the weekends but I've never tried it.

Old 11-01-2009, 06:29 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,078,069 times
yeah, isn't that the same as costco, sams and bj's? for cheaper groceries than Harris Teeter, etc try Aldi's. They have good products and great prices. We drive half an hour on the interstate about every 6 weeks just to shop Aldi.

Old 11-01-2009, 06:41 PM

1,395 posts, read 5,084,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Raleigh_Guy View Post
Buying in Bulk. Aren't we talking about Costco's?
That's what I was thinking too when I read this. But I assumed since those places are everywhere and the obvious answer then it must not be what she/he's looking for.

Old 11-07-2009, 11:08 AM

1 posts, read 11,441 times
I have to chime in here... what I think the poster is looking for is a store similar to Cash and Carry (Cash & Carry). I also just moved here from the Fort Lewis, Washington area and am seeking something similar to them as well. We used to buy lots of our meats, milk, produce, etc. because they had great prices and did not charge a membership fee to use their stores.

We have a lot of mom and pop independent restaurants and espresso stands in that area and quite a few of the operators shop at Cash and Carry.

Costco, BJ's and Sam's are similar to Cash and Carry, except that the aforementioned have other durable goods where Cash and Carry is strictly food and limited restaurant supplies.

If anyone knows of anything similar to this type of store, I'd love to hear about it!

Old 01-07-2015, 07:45 AM

250 posts, read 694,238 times
Many years ago the person in charge of bulk products at the Fresh Market in Cameron Village agreed to special order bulk oat bran for me. It may have been in the heyday of using oat bran to reduce cholesterol (some of you may remember that). The price per pound was less than the retail price in the store. The Fresh Market employee seemed willing to do this on an on-going basis, but I decided smaller amounts worked best for me. Don't know whether Fresh Market or another store will special order bulk at a discount these days, but you may want to consider asking. The key seemed to be my willingness to buy an entire bulk wholesale package or bag, which was then a minimum of 50 pounds for many dry bulk products I asked about.

Don’t know if it made a difference, but I went to the store and talked with the right person rather than phoning. The right person in my case was not the store manager (I didn’t even talk with the store manager), but the employee who had the authority to do the ordering and would do the extra work. He also had the authority to quote a cost to me, but if not, then we would have talked with a manager.

Not sure this is right, but I thought Fresh Market made a profit and saved the cost of labor and materials required for them to package bulk oat bran into retail amounts. So I thought we both probably came out OK on price.

I wish you the best in finding a local source for what you’re looking for. If you do, I’d be interested in hearing about it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary