U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-01-2009, 02:19 PM

10 posts, read 30,580 times

Advertisements

I am considering trying the online shopping services at Lowes Foods. Does anyone have any experience with the service? Is it worth it it? (Background: Busy working mom --> my time is very valuable and I think that it might be worth "outsourcing" the hour I might spend a week in a store for $17.95 per month...) The only area I could see having an issue with is produce (I like to hand pick), but I try to buy produce via Papa Spuds (online farmers market) so probably wouldn't buy much produce via Lowes...

Thanks in advance for any feedback!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2009, 02:33 PM

1,277 posts, read 3,274,375 times
I have used this off and on for a long time (3+ years) - basically since it started. I have only used the one @ strickland/six forks rd - I LOVE IT.

It is a fabulous service for a busy person. It really buys you time. I find it also help me stick to a budget and menus b/c there is little impulse buying and you can see your total as you go. You can use your coupons and there is a credit waiting for you the next time you buy. The service @ that location is wonderful.

Note: I always use my points though to pay for the service. I have also never paid for 'delivery' as I have always picked up.

I'd be interested in hearing if the service is good @ other stores as well.

Old 11-01-2009, 06:44 PM

10 posts, read 30,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeLuvNC View Post
I have used this off and on for a long time (3+ years) - basically since it started. I have only used the one @ strickland/six forks rd - I LOVE IT.

It is a fabulous service for a busy person. It really buys you time. I find it also help me stick to a budget and menus b/c there is little impulse buying and you can see your total as you go. You can use your coupons and there is a credit waiting for you the next time you buy. The service @ that location is wonderful.

Note: I always use my points though to pay for the service. I have also never paid for 'delivery' as I have always picked up.

I'd be interested in hearing if the service is good @ other stores as well.
Thanks so much for the input--I'm probably going to try the Brier Creek location since I live over there...If you get the "unlimited" then you can actually make multiple orders per week paying that lump sum once a month ? (Not that I see that as a regular thing, but could see if I wanted to make a specific dish for one night, I could log in the missing ingredients and pick them up on the way to daycare/home...)

You bring up a great point about actually saving money by not impulse shopping. I figured that if it helped me cook in 1-2 more times per week (rather than going out or ordering in) then I've probably broken even/ahead right there!

Old 11-01-2009, 07:38 PM

1,395 posts, read 4,714,443 times
I use Lowes Foods To Go pretty often. I especially like to use it if one of my kids or myself are sick. I also like the pure convenience of it. When we lived in MA I use to drool over Stop & Shop's Peapod delivery service, but I would never ever use it because they charged more for the groceries than they did in store. I love that the online price is the same as the prices in store. Coupons are applied as a credit to your next purchase.

What I find incredibly frustrating is adding items to my cart. Last week I was going to order my groceries online, but ended up going to the store and doing my own shopping because at some point my online cart totally emptied. It's hard for me to sit down and do shopping quickly. I tend to take longer do put everything in my shopping cart online than I would if I just went to the store. I hate that. They save your old lists so you can click on it and select things you buy regularly. I tend to start fresh every time because I don't order the same things week to week.

I've only had a problem with produce once. I had a tomato that went bad before I got a chance to use it.

Old 11-01-2009, 08:32 PM

502 posts, read 1,159,958 times
We tried Lowes for a few months, but were unhappy with the selections. We always had teenagers as our "shopper." Don't know if this is always the case, but it was our experience.

We have been using the Harris Teeter version for about a year, every week. They have been running "specials" on the service fee, so the $4.95 has been free for us for several months.

The shopper (at HT Cary Park), Anita is awesome and picks out better produce than I would and makes great recommendations. This is her real job, not just a part-time/week-end like the teen shoppers we had. So, she goes above and beyond to make sure you are happy. I can only remember one tiny mistake in an entire year.

If you decide not to go with Lowes, I highly recommend HT.

We had Peapod when we lived in DC. We actually like this better because you pick up the groceries when you want. With Peapod, you have to wait at home during your two-hour window. And, you would not find out what they were out of until your delivery. HT and I am pretty sure Lowes, call you to let you know what they are out of and ask if you would like substitutions.

I love that we save an hour to an hour-and-a-half for 5 bucks. So totally worth it! We save money by not buying impulse purchases and the online list helps us to keep track of what we are running out of. Not having to drag the kids along also has a price.

We also use Papa Spuds...love them too!

Old 11-03-2009, 09:21 PM

70 posts, read 296,867 times
I used it once and thought it was okay. I ordered the groceries and DH picked them up on his way home from work. I like using coupons though so I haven't used it again, though they offered me free services on multiple occassions.

Old 11-04-2009, 12:24 AM

776 posts, read 1,578,826 times
Mrs. Frrrunkis! and I use it regularly...from the new store off of 401 in Wake Crossroads. Before that, we placed our orders from the store off Capital (next to Steak n Shake and Lowes Home Improvement). They're usually good about calling when there's a problem. It certainly makes it easier...since we hate food shopping. It's well worth it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary