U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-01-2009, 06:14 PM

9,845 posts, read 29,219,577 times

Advertisements

If so, how does the foliage look during the spring and summer? I just planted one in my backyard on Saturday. I got a great deal on it at a local nursery so I decided to take a chance and add it to my landscape. I dug the hole 4 times the size of the root ball and mixed in a bunch of compost and pine bark soil conditioner so I am hoping it establishes really well over the winter and adds some new growth in the Spring. Most of the pictures I have seen online show some nice spring colors. If you have one of these trees and have an tips on how to keep it happy and healthy please let me know. Thanks!

PS - My wife has informed me that this will be the last landscape project for a while!

My Okame Flowering Cherry Tree
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2009, 07:15 PM

110 posts, read 439,326 times
got one but i need tips also mine actually has more leaves growing out of the roots then it does at the top branches

Old 11-02-2009, 03:36 PM

2,459 posts, read 7,776,744 times
Sometimes called "Cherry Blossom" trees - these are very popular in DC and parts of NJ. The town I grew up in had a "Cherry Blossom" parade every spring. The trees flower very early in the Triangle, even before the pear trees that are so popular here.
It looks good, make sure the mulch is not touching the tree trunk and water it when dry.

Frank

Old 11-02-2009, 04:08 PM

133 posts, read 569,221 times
What store was this tree from? We are considering adding a few of those to our backyard but have not seen this variety around here.

Old 11-02-2009, 06:57 PM

8,583 posts, read 15,312,051 times
I will try to scan and post a picture of one we used to have in our yard.
We planted it when my son was born and took pictures of him with it each year. By 6 or 7 he was in the tree for the picture.

Watch for Japanese beetles because they loved it.

Old 11-02-2009, 07:00 PM

363 posts, read 1,169,832 times
We had a 16' one installed this summer by JusTreez.biz guys but unfortunately it died from over watering (I think it was planted in a spot where there's a lot of run-off and it drowned... JT replaced without question BTW).

Anyway it has beautiful spring bloom, white-pinkey blossom. But I was not keen on the leaves... very small. When replacing the dead one we switched out for a pear instead with bigger leaves.

I will tell you that you've planted it very close to your house there... in 5 years or so that baby is going to be brushing the siding

Old 11-02-2009, 07:01 PM

363 posts, read 1,169,832 times
oh and OMG japanese beetles LOVE this tree. be warned!!!

Old 11-02-2009, 07:35 PM

9,845 posts, read 29,219,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ma91pmh View Post
I will tell you that you've planted it very close to your house there... in 5 years or so that baby is going to be brushing the siding
Thanks for the tips. I was pretty limited on space and put it as far away from the house as possible. I'm actually planning on keeping it pruned to promote and upright growth habit. The part of the house in the background is actually only 1 story so I plan to train the tree to grow in a fashion that by the time it branches over toward the house it will be tall enough to be above it.

Thanks!

Old 11-03-2009, 01:44 PM

114 posts, read 417,189 times
Okame very typically in the heat of the summer drop leaves. Established trees will do that years after being planted. I went to McLamb Nursery to tag some this past summer and they had 16'+ specimen trees that had dropped lower leaves, Kevin the production guy said it was very typical. I saw the same block last Feb when in bloom and it was amazing how beautiful the trees looked.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary