Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2009, 01:59 PM

315 posts, read 1,256,999 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by senalj View Post
I went to Costco and signed up for the same package, and got $21 off (waiving of a monthly lease fee, and a "monthly package discount") my bill for 12 months and a $50 Costco card. I also got my HD DVR with no up-front cost to me. So you may want to shop around. When the installer came, I didn't have enough HD lines running from my house to the utility box (or so he said), so I had to get a basic box, in addition. The up-front fee for the basic box was waived, as was the monthly rental fee. Be sure to check this before the installer gets there, because I'm sure they could have run another line from my junction box and didn't. The service costs more than I was paying when I was with Time Warner, but I like the reliability, as well as how crisp and clear the HD channels are on my 1080p Plasma TV. I also like being able to program my DVRs from my cell phone or any computer; that comes in handy when I'm away from home longer than anticipated, and want to watch a specific show (typically Top Chef, Bones and Fringe).

Good luck in your decision!

The lines are the same for HD and SD. There is no difference. Now you may have not had enough lines to run a DVR (you need two per DVR), but I doubt it had anything to do with the HD.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2009, 02:03 PM

9,196 posts, read 24,956,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave in jersey View Post
The lines are the same for HD and SD. There is no difference. Now you may have not had enough lines to run a DVR (you need two per DVR), but I doubt it had anything to do with the HD.
Wouldn't RG59 cable vs. RG6 cable make a difference?

Old 11-04-2009, 02:44 PM

211 posts, read 613,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHTransplant View Post
Wouldn't RG59 cable vs. RG6 cable make a difference?
RG6 is a minimal cost upgrade these days and should always be used.

Quote:
Originally Posted by T|K View Post
Nobody gets the insurance, I asked my installer about it and he said not to worry about it. They will normally come out 1x and fix it for free if you agree to get the insurance after that as well. If you need TV and a whole lot of TV's sat does get more expensive than TWC, but TWC sucks anyways.

The credit check seems very fair, I wouldn't complain about that, any utility company, etc would do the same.
Insurance is good when you chop up the buried cables with a tiller.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyO View Post
FREE Sunday Ticket? Please tell me more!
I just called (several times) and asked for what new customers were getting at the time. It was something like Premier with ST for $59.00 for 6 mo. They wouldn't give that to me, but they gave me ST/SF and then Premier for 2 months for what I was paying.

As for a new customer deal, check here:

Quote:
DIRECTV - New customers only - Choice package for $19.99/month for 12 months (over 150 channels) - Dan Patrick DirecTV Exclusive Offer http://www.thecontentfactory.com/...recTV.html

Call 1-888-343-5957 and use promo code DP

New customers only

Choice package for $19.99/month for 12 months (over 150 channels), current new subscriber price for this package is $29.99/month at www.directv.com

Free Showtime for 3 months (9 channels)

Free VIP installation in up to 4 rooms (no equipment to buy, no start-up costs)

2 FREE HD or DVR receiver upgrades

Free 1-year of service coverage

Offer not available to the general public, exclusive offer to Dan Patrick members

Become a member for free @ http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/danpatrick/
Stolen from another forum.

Old 11-04-2009, 09:01 PM

149 posts, read 431,909 times
We only get cable during basketball season and then have no TV the rest of they year so we go through the TWC vs DirectTV debate every year. We usually go with TWC but my new HD TV, I just wasn't happy with their package. DirectTV had a better offer and they let you suspend your service during any year if you like so it's the same as cancelling except we don't have the headache of reinitiating (at least that's the plan).

Our installer called before arriving around 8 am. He was professional and took 3 hours to take the old dish and install the new dish and run all the lines. He had 2 industrial engineers doing time studies with him to understand his process and where they may be efficiencies or inefficiencies in their installation process. They were all quite polite and unobtrusive. I've had the service a little over 2 weeks and am completely satisfied currently.

Just my .02

Old 11-05-2009, 01:12 PM

12 posts, read 10,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by darman1484 View Post
RG6 is a minimal cost upgrade these days and should always be used.

Insurance is good when you chop up the buried cables with a tiller.

I just called (several times) and asked for what new customers were getting at the time. It was something like Premier with ST for $59.00 for 6 mo. They wouldn't give that to me, but they gave me ST/SF and then Premier for 2 months for what I was paying.

As for a new customer deal, check here:

Stolen from another forum.
That is a great special offer. I called and got the first 12 months at $49.99 then 2 more at $59.99. I got the second receiver at half off and one year free service.

Here's hoping it all works great. The posts here about outages and wind issues have me concerned.

Old 11-05-2009, 01:49 PM

1,877 posts, read 5,347,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brighton-Forest-Resident View Post
Here's hoping it all works great. The posts here about outages and wind issues have me concerned.
Really? I was surprised it didn't go out more often. Seriously, it has only gone out twice in the six months we've had it. And those were really bad storms, which are rare. And even then it was only for a minute or two. Far less outages then TWC. Really, I wouldn't worry about it. A typical windy/stormy day shouldn't bother it.

Old 11-05-2009, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielleNC View Post
Really? I was surprised it didn't go out more often. Seriously, it has only gone out twice in the six months we've had it. And those were really bad storms, which are rare. And even then it was only for a minute or two. Far less outages then TWC. Really, I wouldn't worry about it. A typical windy/stormy day shouldn't bother it.
I never had an outage with my cable, so that is what gives me pause about going to a system that people are admitting they have outages X times per year. No turning back now. I hope it is worth it for 1080P.

Old 11-05-2009, 02:30 PM

9,196 posts, read 24,956,595 times
Quote:
I never had an outage with my cable.
Your one of the lucky few.

Old 11-06-2009, 05:26 AM

I have VIP installation this weekend, whatever that means.

Should I tip the installer?

Old 11-06-2009, 06:46 AM
T|K

891 posts, read 2,498,326 times
Quote:
I never had an outage with my cable, so that is what gives me pause about going to a system that people are admitting they have outages X times per year. No turning back now. I hope it is worth it for 1080P.
What programming to do you expect to see in 1080P? Only on demand stuff is 1080P and even then there is not much of it. A Blu Ray player is a better bet for it imo.

I did not tip the installer, as I had to pay extra to fish an additional line to the HD DVR (which I knew was coming) and I helped him do that and made it quicker for him.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary