Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2007, 05:21 PM

60 posts, read 218,271 times

Advertisements

I think I read somewhere that there is a nuclear plant in NC so the electric bills are cheaper than the gas bills(compared to NJ). How true is this. In my apartment search I've seen some apartments that have electric stoves & electric heat as opposed to gas. I'm looking in the Cary area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2007, 05:37 PM

3,124 posts, read 12,664,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tropical View Post
I think I read somewhere that there is a nuclear plant in NC so the electric bills are cheaper than the gas bills(compared to NJ). How true is this. In my apartment search I've seen some apartments that have electric stoves & electric heat as opposed to gas. I'm looking in the Cary area.
I doubt the plant has anything directly to do with rates. I guess you'd just have to compare rates from directly (NJ to NC) to really know.

We have gas and wouldn't change. In fact, our home had an electric stove....I made them pull it out and put in gas.

Old 05-11-2007, 06:44 PM

141 posts, read 675,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tropical View Post
Gas is really the way to go if you like to cook. I just bought a place in Downtown Durham, and unfortunately the building is electric only Bye-bye Viking Range.

Old 05-11-2007, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clockwork View Post
Gas is really the way to go if you like to cook. I just bought a place in Downtown Durham, and unfortunately the building is electric only Bye-bye Viking Range.
Ouch.....that one would be hard to take!

Old 05-11-2007, 06:52 PM
rfb

2,594 posts, read 6,352,399 times
I don't know about the cost. But, if given the choice, I would opt for a gas rangetop and an electric oven. Best of both worlds. All other major appliances would be electric.

For heating, it seems a wash. We have a gas furnace and I like it a lot. But my parents have an electric heat pump and it works really good. From a cost point-of-view, it is pretty close in cost with modern units. If you like to turn down the heat while going to work and then crank it back up when you get home, then gas will probably work better; otherwise, it doesn't matter.

Old 05-11-2007, 07:03 PM

709 posts, read 934,224 times
Don't you people look at rates??

8.045 kwh nov thru may 9.045 kwh june thru oct. here in NC wake county.

NJ JCP&L rates were almost 13.0 kwh year round.

Old 05-11-2007, 07:14 PM

548 posts, read 2,647,149 times
I've never looked at rates. I like my gas, so like Desdemona123, had my electric stove replaced w/gas when I redid the kitchen. The rest of the house is gas too. No idea what the rate is.

Old 05-11-2007, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaimounaKande View Post
I've never looked at rates. I like my gas, so like Desdemona123, had my electric stove replaced w/gas when I redid the kitchen. The rest of the house is gas too. No idea what the rate is.
Yeah....never bothered with the rate....I perfer gas heat, gas for cooking....electric is for lights and entertainment.

Old 05-11-2007, 07:44 PM

60 posts, read 218,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbywan View Post
Don't you people look at rates??

8.045 kwh nov thru may 9.045 kwh june thru oct. here in NC wake county.

NJ JCP&L rates were almost 13.0 kwh year round.
ok, so in NC it's cheaper than NJ but do you mean that el;ectric & gas are about the same in price in NC....

Old 05-13-2007, 09:12 AM

460 posts, read 2,421,504 times
I have natural gas here by choice. Gas range, gas heat, gas waterheater, gas logs, gas dryer, gas grill. Hard core gas user here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary