Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2009, 09:25 AM

86 posts, read 243,018 times

Advertisements

I purchsed some bags of topsoil 2 weeks ago. There were not cheap but also low quality. Then I'm thinking that purchasing a few yards from landscape company maybe a better idea. It turns out worse. I put the soil on some bare spots in my backyard lawn. After a few rain and a few sunny days, it hardened like "concrete", is that normal?
Can somebody recommend a company sell real topsoil? Thanks a lot!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2009, 09:29 AM

9,196 posts, read 24,938,023 times
"Topsoil" bought in bulk is usually clay-laden crap.

Many places that sell topsoil also have a mix that has high organic content - a landscaper's mix. Check out Mulch Masters, for example. I've used it many times. It's easy to work with - doesn't clump or harden, and plants love it.

Old 11-05-2009, 09:37 AM

1,877 posts, read 5,343,251 times
Sorry to hijack the thread, but it kind of relates. I wrote a couple weeks ago about our new grass not growing. Well luckily from all the recent rain, it is! Never did put straw on it but am going to. But I was wondering, I have a couple bags of top soil. Could I use that on the red clay areas instead of straw? Would one be better than the other?

Old 11-05-2009, 09:58 AM

Straw can be full of weed seeds. I'd avoid it if you can.

Old 11-05-2009, 10:37 AM

86 posts, read 243,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHTransplant View Post
"Topsoil" bought in bulk is usually clay-laden crap.

Many places that sell topsoil also have a mix that has high organic content - a landscaper's mix. Check out Mulch Masters, for example. I've used it many times. It's easy to work with - doesn't clump or harden, and plants love it.
Thanks for the input! So the name of the soil is "Landscaper's mix"? I'm intended to use the topsoil to even my backyard lawn and help the overseeding seeds to grow. Shoud I choose the one with high organic content? By the way, the soil condition in my backyard is oweful with 90% of clay. I will love to improve the condition!
Thanks again!

Old 11-05-2009, 10:51 AM

871 posts, read 3,018,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meimei88 View Post
Thanks for the input! So the name of the soil is "Landscaper's mix"? I'm intended to use the topsoil to even my backyard lawn and help the overseeding seeds to grow. Shoud I choose the one with high organic content? By the way, the soil condition in my backyard is oweful with 90% of clay. I will love to improve the condition!
Thanks again!

meimei88, we had a little conversation a week or two ago that addressed some of your questions. It may be a tad late to ideally redo your soil/grass, but do fertilize now what you do have, knock down the weed and crabgrass in the spring with any product that includes Dimension (Lowe's and Ace carry it), and get down a good place for your seed to live next fall. You can't have weed chemicals and grass seed competing, as the chemical does not distinguish.

If you need composted soil (volume) get the best stuff you can find. I was terribly disappointed with the "topsoil" garbage I had delivered by 2 firms this past year. It was all clay, and needed a lot of elbow grease to improve.

If you don't need a LOT of amendment then peat moss is very sensible. You need to work this organic stuff in so a slit-seeder is a must (in the autumn). Good luck!

//www.city-data.com/forum/ralei...st-redone.html

Old 11-05-2009, 01:32 PM

1,877 posts, read 5,343,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielleNC View Post
Sorry to hijack the thread, but it kind of relates. I wrote a couple weeks ago about our new grass not growing. Well luckily from all the recent rain, it is! Never did put straw on it but am going to. But I was wondering, I have a couple bags of top soil. Could I use that on the red clay areas instead of straw? Would one be better than the other?
Oops, I meant garden soil. I have a couple large bags of Miracle-Gro garden soil I haven't used and was wondering if that would be ok to use on the red clay where the grass is finally coming up. Or do you think since the grass was already fertilized during the aerating and seeding that may be too much for it?

Quote:
Thanks CH!

Old 11-05-2009, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielleNC View Post
Oops, I meant garden soil. I have a couple large bags of Miracle-Gro garden soil I haven't used and was wondering if that would be ok to use on the red clay where the grass is finally coming up. Or do you think since the grass was already fertilized during the aerating and seeding that may be too much for it?
I doubt a thin layer of your garden soil covering the seeds would do any harm, and it would certainly be better than leaving them to dry out in the direct sunlight

Old 11-05-2009, 02:33 PM

532 posts, read 2,845,216 times
Here are a few landscape supply places that carry excellent products. Be sure to read the description before buying and match the product to your needs (topdressing lawns, starting lawns, vegetable garden, fill, flower bed, trees and shrubs, etc., and more importantly, if you can, go check it out before you have it delivered or loaded. Try compost if you are topdressing, compost is organic, topsoil is not.

These five are all in the same area near Capital Blvd/Hwy 1 and 540 in Raleigh...

Capital Mulch CHECKOUT THEIR CERTIFIED COMPOST!!!! www.capitalmulch.com - Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â *Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â* Capital Mulch Company 919-845-2974 The Right Products at the Best Pri
Carolina Mulch Express Carolina Mulch Express - Products - Premium Mulch, Compost, Soil/Seed Mix, Playground Cushion (http://www.carolinamulchexpress.com/products.htm - broken link)
Bradsher Landscape supplies SOIL (http://www.bradsherfarms.com/SOIL.html - broken link)
The Mulch Masters (certified compost, too) The Mulch Masters - Wake County's source for mulch, pine straw and stone
Triangle Landscape Supplies http://www.trianglelandscapesupplies.com/soil.html

If you get topsoil, be sure it's screened. You don't want chunks of debris, etc.
If you get compost, you'll pay more for certified and the stuff from the city contains trash debris like plastic as all the yard waste residents leave at the curb goes to the city's compost.

Last edited by cstleddy; 11-05-2009 at 02:43 PM.. Reason: Added the 5th place

Old 11-05-2009, 02:41 PM

532 posts, read 2,845,216 times
Quote:
CHTransplant is sooooo right. Sometimes the weeds in the straw grow better than the grass seed.

A landscaper friend told me to get PennMulch for grass seeds. It's pelletized newspaper with fertilizer, special polymer coating, etc. and excellent results, unfortunately, I've not been able to find it around here. Perhaps it's only available to the golfcourse, ball field, commercial trade.

I'm not sure if this is the manufacturer or not... Lebanon Turf technical reference documents
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary