Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2009, 05:43 AM

28 posts, read 71,224 times

Advertisements

Is the Raleigh area Conservative or Liberal in their political views, family values, etc?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2009, 08:15 AM

11,151 posts, read 15,833,975 times
Please keep your responses civil and on-topic. Thank you.

Last edited by Green Irish Eyes; 11-08-2009 at 09:09 AM..

Old 11-08-2009, 08:30 AM

13,966 posts, read 24,162,317 times
Default My impression of the Raleigh political environment

To answer the OP question, it's important to establish what "Raleigh area" means. For my answer, I'll just address Wake County as the geographic boundary.
Wake County has historically been very politically balanced. However, that balance is not achieved via some uniformity across the county. There are places that are much more progressive, places that are much more conservative and places that are probably more balanced and nearer the County's "median".
That all said, I don't think that one should be careful to not assume that they know what a liberal and conservative political environment is in the Raleigh area. My impression is that vast majority of liberals in the area would not look like liberals if they were juxtaposed with liberals in some other metros. I can say the same about the conservatives. IMO, Raleigh is neither on the cutting edge of progressive political thought, nor is it overwhelmed by social conservatives. While those sorts of people certainly exist in Raleigh, like they do everywhere, I don't see either as controlling the political discourse.
My impression is that Raleigh methodically moves forward in such a way as to neither be pushing the envelope nor being a laggard to national trending. Its political climate is neither tense like Miami (Where extreme political discourse is more evident to me) nor one sided in political thought.
To outsiders, the Raleigh area may appear more pragmatic than idealistic. It's a place where both liberals & conservatives would probably feel welcomed. It's a place that feels more mainstream Democrat to me. It's a place where conservative thought is more old-school (fiscal) than it is social conservatism.
In the City of Raleigh, its mayor and council leans left but not very far left. Suburban cities in the county are probably more conservative than Raleigh but none of them feel right wing to me. The county has traditionally voted more Democratic than the state as a whole but not as much so as Durham County. Raleigh and the entire Triangle area is reprsented by 3 Democrats in the US House of Representatives and the state's legislature and state house are run by Democrats.
I hope this information helps!

Last edited by Green Irish Eyes; 11-08-2009 at 09:07 AM..

Old 11-08-2009, 10:57 AM

15 posts, read 41,726 times
I agree...I'm very Conservative but I always feel welcomed in Raleigh. I think many of the universities in the Raleigh area are more liberal but that's probably the case with most universities now. As far as family values, Raleigh is just like many other cities, you have to be careful where you live. The city seems more appealing to young professionals now but I think there are still plenty of "family" neighborhoods. Different subdivisions like Brier Creek are very family friendly.

Old 11-08-2009, 11:05 AM

2,119 posts, read 4,167,980 times
NC State tends to be conservative that is comparing it to nearby universities that are liberal such as UNC or even down the road abit such as Guilford College(private very liberal). That is my take on the university scene anyway. There is a good mix of people in Raleigh and lots of NY transplants.

Old 11-08-2009, 11:30 AM

9,196 posts, read 24,938,023 times
I don't think you can capture the politics of the Triangle - or the State of North Carolina - in one label. It varies in so many ways. If you take a snapshot of our politics on the national level, you'll get one point of view - a state that is somewhat conservative and leans slighly Republican (but not consistently). If you take a snapshot of our politics on the state level, you'll get a very different view - a state that is somewhat liberal (although no consistently so), and leans heavily Democratic. Get down to the local level and it gets even more complicated and varied.

Chapel Hill, where I live, is often painted as "liberal" and without political diversity by some who don't know the area very well. Yet in the most recent (non-partisan) municipal elections here, a slate of "pro-business" (and lower tax, pro-development) candidates for mayor and town council had heavy backing and had some limited success (and the mayoral candidate lost by just 99 votes). Proof, I think, that there are a variety of political viewpoints represented everywhere.

Old 11-08-2009, 11:36 AM

393 posts, read 673,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevetrice3000 View Post
Is the Raleigh area Conservative or Liberal in their political views, family values, etc?
The immediate Raleigh area is the most politically balanced area in the entire general Triangle area, IMO.

Old 11-08-2009, 01:40 PM

5,743 posts, read 17,601,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevetrice3000 View Post
Yes.

Old 11-08-2009, 01:59 PM

43,281 posts, read 77,104,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewUser View Post
Yes.
Ditto.

Old 11-08-2009, 02:57 PM

9,848 posts, read 30,284,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
Ditto.
^^ What he said!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary