Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2007, 07:33 PM

709 posts, read 935,116 times

Advertisements

Gang the moving to Johnston County Clayton or North Raleigh towards granville or Franklin Counties and working in RTP is well gonna be a problem. 4 Dollar a gallon gasoline!! Be careful down here in Raleigh, there is no mass transit. Nothing!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2007, 08:04 PM

141 posts, read 675,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbywan View Post
Gang the moving to Johnston County Clayton or North Raleigh towards granville or Franklin Counties and working in RTP is well gonna be a problem. 4 Dollar a gallon gasoline!! Be careful down here in Raleigh, there is no mass transit. Nothing!
Yeah, it's crazy. I just filled up yesterday, and it was the highest bill I've ever had - $66.

Old 05-12-2007, 08:06 PM

3,021 posts, read 11,058,474 times
Actually, gas costs around three dollars a gallon right now, but I understand your point. Personally, I've never understood the appeal of living more than 20 minutes away from my workplace, but that's just me. Different people have different priorities.

Old 05-12-2007, 08:17 PM

3,124 posts, read 12,667,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsSteel View Post
Actually, gas costs around three dollars a gallon right now, but I understand your point. Personally, I've never understood the appeal of living more than 20 minutes away from my workplace, but that's just me. Different people have different priorities.
I've never lived close to where I work...not always on purpose...it's just always worked out that way.

We moved to Wake Forest having jobs in Butner, because it was the closest Wake County area (I don't like Granville County schools)...but now I work in RTP.....I looked for something closer, and believe me, if I find something I'll jump on it, but for now....the gas is going to kill my budget! (There goes a few pair of Kate Spade peep-toe pumps in my tank!)

Old 05-12-2007, 08:34 PM

850 posts, read 3,625,805 times
Quote:
As for gas, I find $4/gal hard to believe. Its a short drive to cheaper prices;
http://www.raleighgasprices.com/

My dh works 12 hour days and only goes to work 3 and 4 days a week (3 one week/4 the next) and on those days he goes he carpools with another guy from work. So he's using way less gas than if he commuted normally. There are ways around the commute/gas. Plus once someone is here they can look for something more local. Getting a job is harder long distance and when you don't have one.

And BTW there are carpools/vanpools. If there isn't one near you, you can start one. Saves loads on gas.

Here are some current routes;
http://www.ridetta.org/Ride_Sharing/Vanpool/currentVPRoutes.html (broken link)

And if your company participates, the Triangle Transit Authority will take care of an emergency ride home if you need (and qualify for it).

Here are some more car/van pool links;
http://www.sharetheridenc.com/
http://www.roadbuddies.net/commute/map.cfm (broken link)
http://www.carpoolworld.com/
http://www.erideshare.com/carpool.php?dstate=NC
http://www.drivemates.com/ (broken link)
http://www.vanpool.com/joinavanpool.shtml

I do agree though with the current routes to RTP from Clayton that rush hour is a tough one. Working off hours (going in early and leaving work early) is a much more pleasant commute (or doing like my dh and doing 12 hour days). But the bottom line is that my dh LOVES where we live enough to NOT want to move anywhere else. He also happens to love his job (especially since they went 12 hour days).

Lauren

Old 05-12-2007, 08:42 PM

2,834 posts, read 12,033,730 times
thanks for the gas prices link!

I do think carpooling is a great idea, the problem is, my husband cannot just leave work at a set time every day. His office has flexible hours, etc, but he doesn't tend to get home earlier than 7pm on any given night, so it makes it hard to carpool.

The same thing happened to a friend of mine where they have 3 people in their culdesac working in the same company, but carpooling never worked because someone always had to stay late, etc.

What I would love to see, and have wanted for at least 10 years is a rail system here............

Leigh

Old 05-12-2007, 08:52 PM

3,124 posts, read 12,667,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leighbhe View Post
thanks for the gas prices link!

I do think carpooling is a great idea, the problem is, my husband cannot just leave work at a set time every day. His office has flexible hours, etc, but he doesn't tend to get home earlier than 7pm on any given night, so it makes it hard to carpool.

The same thing happened to a friend of mine where they have 3 people in their culdesac working in the same company, but carpooling never worked because someone always had to stay late, etc.

What I would love to see, and have wanted for at least 10 years is a rail system here............

Leigh
Heck, for the past three years my husband and I worked at the SAME place and we obviously lived in the SAME house...and we could seldom carpool....lol. We did when we could (and we were lucky that if things changed during the day one of us could normally find a way home with someone who was going the same way)...but carpools just aren't practical for many these days. The work enviroment is just not conducive to them.

Old 05-12-2007, 09:04 PM

3,021 posts, read 11,058,474 times
Thanks for the wonderful links, Lauren!

For those of us on the western side of the Triangle, here is some more gas pricing info.
http://www.durhamgasprices.com/

Old 05-12-2007, 09:34 PM

1,263 posts, read 4,948,840 times
Quote:
I will definitely feel the pains next month when I move into my house in Knightdale. I work in RTP, my commute now from Brier Creek is awesome...I don't burn much gas...My car (2006 Sedan) gets good gas mileage, but when the price is nearing $3.00+ a gallon, it all adds up. This is definitely going to cut into my budget, but life does go on.

Old 05-13-2007, 05:08 AM

823 posts, read 3,922,824 times
The gas price preditions that I have read predict prices up to $4/gallon by summer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary