Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2008, 06:47 AM

475 posts, read 1,574,993 times

Advertisements

We bought our guest bedroom furniture from Rooms To Go two weeks ago. For the last few furniture buys ( dining room and living room) we went with Rooms To Go and the plan was to go there to pick out the guest room stuff as well ( we have two small boys and not a lot of patience so we try to restrict ourselves to a couple of stores). A flyer in the newspaper got our attention to stop by Roomstore and thats what we did. This great agent met us, walked us to the bed section and then asked us to give her a call if we had any questions. While we were walking around, she would come over every 10 mins or so to check us on. No pressure, no sales talk, we saw something we liked, but decided to go over to Rooms To Go to see if there was anything we liked there as well.Walk into Rooms To Go, there is a circle of sales people who were looking at us as if sizing us up. Then we get an agent come over, and it felt like we were trying to buy a car - I mean, this guy came on so strong, spend 15 mins giving us the sales talk...I was put off after the first 5 mins, we told him all we want to do is look around and with trying to keep 2 boys in tow and not run around, we really do not have the time to stand in one place and listen to him talk - but obviously that was not a deterrent and he did his sales spiel - so then we walked around the over-stuffed store - the prices have gone up, and they are kind of convoluted (separate amounts priced for each vital part) so initially it looks cheap but when you add it up, it does go up.So, we went back to Room Store, chose the bedset and chest we liked, they gave us a good discount, and one week later the set was delivered and installed and it looks beautiful.My.02 cents...how we converted over. We now have to buy another bed for the other guest room, and we will probably go back to Room Store again.

Old 11-03-2008, 02:30 PM

9 posts, read 24,256 times
Don't forget that these larger chains have nothing invested in the community; they will pull out if profits fall and are only here to make a buck. Smaller places have freinds and family that depend on the doors staying open. The large store can absorb more costs and slower times; however they will not do it here. If this market slumps another will pickup and off they go.

I still have to say the smaller guys are where you will get your best deals. They are much less agressive with their sales pitch; however the best part is they will work for you. Try going into a local store, not a chain store, and you will see the difference. They will work with you on the price and work for you to find something in your budget.

Old 11-03-2008, 02:56 PM

259 posts, read 1,041,582 times
Default Roomstore

Be careful, this place was recently on TV when a customer received very poor customer service. The furniture she received was torn all over. Since the Roomstore did NOT give her the customer service she deserved, she brought her story to a news station which was aired on TV a little while ago (within the last 2 or 3 months.) The Roomstore finally had to give her a complete refund.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nynraleigh View Post
I am not sure if anyone has checked out the new furniture store that opened in Raleigh. It's a RoomStore, next to the Bassett Furniture store on Glenwood Avenue. I spent the entire day looking at furniture, this was the last place I stopped and they had a plenty of nice things. I thought I would pass on the information. I have started to get ideas and styles for the new home. They also have a website. www.roomstore.com

Old 11-03-2008, 03:02 PM

1,877 posts, read 5,341,299 times
My friend had nothing but problems with the RoomStore in Durham. She ordered a dinning set that was supposed to be delivered. They did not deliver it like they were suppose to. So my friend and her husband drove back to Durham from Mebane to pick it up. It was also suppose to be put together and it wasn't. So they get home to put it together and they're missing a chair. They put everything together and a couple of the chairs are wobbly. They complained several times to the store manager and he did nothing for them. He ignored their phone calls. They FINALLY got the number to the district manager who did eventually help them out. All in all they were a pain to work with and didn't care about customer service.

My bf has a sofa from Rooms 2 Go and he knew it wasn't the best quality and had a limited budget at the time and it was his first furniture buy. The sofa is still holding up almost 3 years later but the cushions are getting flat (the middle cushion is never used and much fluffier).

Anyways, I personally don't care for either stores furniture. I would go with better quality furniture, you can find great deals out there if you look hard!

Old 11-03-2008, 09:15 PM

299 posts, read 635,047 times
While I haven't bought any furniture locally, I did purchase carpeting and appliances at local stores. They either matched or beat the big box stores and I love the fact that in buying from them, I'm contributing to the local economy and keeping our tax rate down. As far as furniture goes, we did do some shopping at the local Boyles, in addition to stores in Hickory and Thomasville. The local stores could not compete with the prices I received there, for example, a chair reduced from $4000 to $800, a dining room buffet for $699 that is still selling at local stores for $1799 and more. It is usually worth asking the smaller stores if they can match prices or do something to make up the difference you can save at the outlets in Hickory and elsewhere. I could not find the quality of furniture at Rooms to Go or similar places that I did at the outlets, either. I'm looking for items that can be passed down and are worth reupholstering when necessary. Those are difficult to find without spending a lot of money so when found at a great discount of up to 75% in some cases, I can't pass them up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary