Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2009, 05:09 PM

166 posts, read 826,717 times

Advertisements

So, school gets over at 3:45pm. I am planning to pick up my child through the car pool line, which means I have to work it out with my manager and leave early. From the other school she went to, the car pool line would start from 3:15pm...and the line would get quite long, and then at 3:45pm they would start bringing the kids out. I am about 20 mins from the school, so to the parents who do the car pool at any school - when is the latest I need to be there? If I get into line AT 3:45pm, then when the kids start coming out, I should get my child around 3:50? Any pointers, anyone?

Thanks,

B
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2009, 08:55 PM

484 posts, read 1,364,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcbeth01 View Post
So, school gets over at 3:45pm. I am planning to pick up my child through the car pool line, which means I have to work it out with my manager and leave early. From the other school she went to, the car pool line would start from 3:15pm...and the line would get quite long, and then at 3:45pm they would start bringing the kids out. I am about 20 mins from the school, so to the parents who do the car pool at any school - when is the latest I need to be there? If I get into line AT 3:45pm, then when the kids start coming out, I should get my child around 3:50? Any pointers, anyone?

Thanks,

B
Hmm Sorry I don't anything about that school, but can you possibly park in the lot and walk up to get your child? I never thought about doing that with my child's school (middle school) since I am not on any time constraints, but I wonder if you can do that?

My child did not go to elementary school here, she went in NJ and AZ(yes we had a few moves and hopefully we are here to stay) and there, you could park and stand around the area where the kiddos get out and pick up your child or drive up to the car pool lane.

Old 11-10-2009, 05:41 AM

718 posts, read 2,967,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamsncharms View Post
Hmm Sorry I don't anything about that school, but can you possibly park in the lot and walk up to get your child? I never thought about doing that with my child's school (middle school) since I am not on any time constraints, but I wonder if you can do that?

My child did not go to elementary school here, she went in NJ and AZ(yes we had a few moves and hopefully we are here to stay) and there, you could park and stand around the area where the kiddos get out and pick up your child or drive up to the car pool lane.

Most schools don't recommend doing this, if everyone park and picked up their child it would be crazy. Thats what the carpool line is for.

My kids go to Highcroft and I arrive at the carpool line at 3:45 and I usually have my kids by 3:54 and on my way home.

Old 11-10-2009, 06:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamsncharms View Post

dreamsncharms - The current school does not allow it. You HAVE to go through the car pool line to pick up your child, so I think that will be the same in this one too.

slynn41072 - Thanks for the time frame. So, if I get to the car pool line AT 3:45pm, then it is not like I am late...my main point is trying to get there on time, at 3:45pm...

Old 11-10-2009, 06:12 AM

718 posts, read 2,967,542 times
Quote:
dreamsncharms - The current school does not allow it. You HAVE to go through the car pool line to pick up your child, so I think that will be the same in this one too.

slynn41072 - Thanks for the time frame. So, if I get to the car pool line AT 3:45pm, then it is not like I am late...my main point is trying to get there on time, at 3:45pm...

If you get onto the line at 3:45, you will not be late you can even prob push it to 3:50 and still not be late.

Old 11-10-2009, 02:17 PM

1,054 posts, read 1,980,603 times
My daughter went to Highcroft for kindergarten and is now at Morrisville. The line at Highcroft was much longer and moved slower than the one at Morrisville. They may have changed it, but they only had 3 loading stations, where Morrisville has 5. So instead of filling up three cars at one time, we fill up 5. Also, it depends on how many buses serve the school. Because Highcroft's base is so close, most of the kids live in the walk zone. So they either walk home or are picked up (especially if it's raining or cold). I'm not sure how many buses service Mills Park, but that will factor in.

I agree with the pp though. The line starts moving at 3:45pm, so if you pull up at the back of the line at 3:45pm, you're fine. I prefer to do that, than to sit in the line for 25 minutes to make sure I'm the first one through (unless we have to be somewhere right after school). I think they start calling parents if you're not there to pick up your child by 4:10pm or so.

Old 11-10-2009, 02:24 PM

2,834 posts, read 12,011,541 times
At the school my kids go to, the bell rings at 3pm. If I get there at 3, then I not pick them up (get to the front of the line) until about 315. If I get there at 315, I will pick them up by 318.

So, if at your school the bell rings at 345, and you get there then, the line will be VERY long. If you get there 10 minutes later, it probably will not take as long to get them.

Leigh

Old 11-10-2009, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slynn41072 View Post
Most schools don't recommend doing this, if everyone park and picked up their child it would be crazy. Thats what the carpool line is for.

My kids go to Highcroft and I arrive at the carpool line at 3:45 and I usually have my kids by 3:54 and on my way home.
It might be crazy if EVERYONE did, but if a few parents had to do this to meet time obligations, I don't see the big deal. I used to arrive super early, but got tired of sitting in my car doing nothing, so most days I do not arrive at the car pool lane until a few minutes till.

Old 11-10-2009, 02:51 PM

Quote:

I hope you find something that works for you.

Old 11-10-2009, 03:12 PM

Amazingly helpful responses, everyone. Thanks so much. This gives me a real good idea.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary