Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2009, 09:23 PM

3 posts, read 8,923 times

Advertisements

My husband and I recently moved from Chicago to Cary. We're currently staying with family within the Maynard loop and are looking for a home to buy. We're in our early 30s and plan to have kids within the next few years. Our realtor has taken us to see the new neighborhoods (Cameron Pond and Greystone) but the lots are really small and they don't seem very convenient to my family's home in the Maynard loop or grocery stores, etc. We've looked at Lochmere, but people have said the schools aren't that great, the school districts tend to change quite a bit, and the homes are older. Need help.

Priorities:
#1. Minimum of 0.25 acres where the houses aren't tightly packed together and with a decent-sized backyard where kids could play
#2. Price range up to $400K
#3. Home no older than 10-12 years
#4. Good school district
#5. Kid-friendly, young families with kids
#6. Convenient to my family who live within Maynard loop
#7. Convenient to grocery store, shopping, etc.
#8. Convenient to airport (but doesn't have to be minutes away)
#9. Convenient to highway but not right behind the house (*I believe 540 is going right behind Cameron Pond?)
#10. Friendly, active neighorhood (but still respecting privacy)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2009, 05:34 AM

792 posts, read 4,487,051 times
"Near Maynard Rd" together with "no older than 10-12 years old" doesn't exist in your price range. That age range generally means western Cary, and then you have the problem of smaller lots, houses packed together, and possibly 540 in your backyard.

I would say pick which one of those priorities are most important to you and drop the other one.

If you can consider the older neighborhoods, you can find everything else on your list.

Old 11-10-2009, 07:11 AM

8,269 posts, read 25,100,833 times
Look in Braeloch off of Chapel Hill Road and Maynard. I love that neighborhood. It fits all of your points I think except *maybe* the schools are a toss up. BUT...with the new school board stuff going on, things will probably change again. ALso Wimbledon off Kildaire is not that far from the Maynard loop. I love that one too!

Old 11-10-2009, 08:23 AM

4,477 posts, read 11,617,023 times
Maynard Road runs entirely around Cary - so that covers quite a large area. Unless "Maynard Loop" means something else? Dedratermi is right though - newer houses and larger lots are usually mutually exclusive.

Old 11-10-2009, 11:13 AM

Thanks for the responses so far. Okay, so I need to revise and update my priorities. I was hoping there was a neighborhood that we weren't aware of that fit all the above. Very sad to hear that newer homes are mutually exclusive of larger lots. What if I expand to houses built since 1990?
#3. - Home no older than 20 years

Clarification on what I mean by Maynard Loop:
#6. - Convenient to my family who live off of Maynard Road, near Cary High School

Old 11-10-2009, 11:45 AM

4,266 posts, read 11,418,220 times
I'd suggest checking out Wellsley . A great established neighborhood off of High House Rd. Home prices range mid to high 300's, about 3000sf, built late 1990's, lots about 1/3 acre. Gorgeous established landscaping/trees. Very convenient to shopping and about 10-15 min. from your family.

Old 11-10-2009, 11:56 AM

2,697 posts, read 8,693,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ljd1010 View Post
I'd suggest checking out Wellsley . A great established neighborhood off of High House Rd. Home prices range mid to high 300's, about 3000sf, built late 1990's, lots about 1/3 acre. Gorgeous established landscaping/trees. Very convenient to shopping and about 10-15 min. from your family.
Pretty neighborhood. Getting to the upper limits of the OP's age requirement, but definitely worth a look. You might find something in Weatherstone in your price range. Again, those homes are probably a bit over 12 years old, but it's a pretty neighborhood w/ a good elementary school essentially in the neighborhood. Highland Oaks (next to Weatherstone) occassionally has resales under $400k, but nothing right now. Bishophs Gate probably starts in the mid $400s, but those are pretty homes with good school assignment and less than 5 years old.

Old 11-10-2009, 12:57 PM

792 posts, read 4,487,051 times
Wellsley is a nice neighborhood, but on the opposite side of town that the OP is interested in (Cary High School).

Take a look at Carriage Woods and Braelock, they are within your revised age range, and very convenient to Cary High School and I-40, although you may find the lot size too small.

If you really want to stay close to Cary High School, your age range is still too limiting, most of that part of Cary was built in the 60's and 70's, with a few areas developed in the mid-80's.

Old 11-10-2009, 01:31 PM

4,266 posts, read 11,418,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dedratermi View Post
Wellsley is a nice neighborhood, but on the opposite side of town that the OP is interested in (Cary High School).

Take a look at Carriage Woods and Braelock, they are within your revised age range, and very convenient to Cary High School and I-40, although you may find the lot size too small.

If you really want to stay close to Cary High School, your age range is still too limiting, most of that part of Cary was built in the 60's and 70's, with a few areas developed in the mid-80's.

I live right near Wellsley and go to the Galaxy Theater (very close to Cary High) frequently and it takes me 10 minutes to get there. The OP mentioned that she wanted the location to be "convenient" to Maynard, not necessarily within walking distance.

Last edited by ljd1010; 11-10-2009 at 01:46 PM..

Old 11-10-2009, 02:15 PM

Thanks for suggestion on Wellsley and Weatherstone. From a few listings that I searched in those neighborhoods, the lots sizes seem good and the schools appear to be good too.

Wellsley listings that I found showed schools as Davis Drive (elementary and middle) and Green Hope (high school). Weatherstone listings showed schools as Weatherstone (elementary), West Cary (middle), and Green Hope (high school). I'll have to get my realtor to show us these. Any strong pros/cons for Wellsley vs. Weatherstone?

And yes, we just want to be convenient to family on Maynard...but definitely don't have to walking distance. I just don't want to be 30 minutes away.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary