Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2007, 10:45 AM

577 posts, read 1,897,072 times

Advertisements

The reality is hit home
http://www.newsobserver.com/100/story/573758.html (broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2007, 10:52 AM

3,124 posts, read 12,639,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NC man View Post
The reality is hit home
Well, no kidding. That is hardly news to be honest.

Anyone who moved here, or is planning to move here, thinking it was the land of milk and honey at any time was going to be in for a rude reality check.

However, that doesn't make the area a blight or not a great place to live.

Old 05-13-2007, 11:32 AM

5,730 posts, read 17,545,870 times
I found this paragraph interesting:

"The schools are tight because the school budget is squeezed. The school board cannot impose taxes: That falls to the county commissioners. But school leaders and county commissioners have feared voter rejection since a failed school bond in 1999. They are wary of bond referendums that require big tax increases."

In Dallas, we had 3 pieces to a property tax bill. One piece came from the city, one from the county, and one from the school district. The school tax was BY FAR the biggest of the 3. I never thought about the politics involved with county commissioners fearing re-election if they proposed higher school taxes. That adds a whole new understanding to the problem for me.

Old 05-13-2007, 02:12 PM

198 posts, read 908,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NC man View Post
The reality is hit home

The real reality is ...Wake is fine, and will be fine. People will eventually flee. Some will return home, others, those people looking for a "utopia" in this age we live in will flock to the next area after awhile, after they turn NC into the place they left behind. Utopia is from within. I dont blame one bit the city for the growth issues, it isnt like a tub draiin, they cant just stop the growth immed.. It wasnt like there were no plans at all, its just the growth far exceeded their projections. There was a quote in the newspaper article that said something about the types of questions and disussions being done at town meetings- subdivisions and paint are the topics as opposed to law enforcement and growth issues. Not to say that every meeting is like that. Sounds like the northern curse to me. I'm from the midwest, but my expectations are a whole lot different and I am slightly turned off not because of NC (and I refuse to blame the state) but the demanding influx of people moving there, complaining, and draining things.

Old 05-13-2007, 03:08 PM

125 posts, read 529,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewUser View Post
I found this paragraph interesting:

"The schools are tight because the school budget is squeezed. The school board cannot impose taxes: That falls to the county commissioners. But school leaders and county commissioners have feared voter rejection since a failed school bond in 1999. They are wary of bond referendums that require big tax increases."

In Dallas, we had 3 pieces to a property tax bill. One piece came from the city, one from the county, and one from the school district. The school tax was BY FAR the biggest of the 3.
Government schools are pretty rediculous, they run them just like the government runs everything else.. just keep throwing money at the problem and hope it goes away, at taxpayers expense of course .

Its funny how much money some gvt schools will spend per child, and some private schools will use 1/4 the money, and have much better education.. now i know this isnt true across the board, some private schools are no better than the Gvt schools. I know of specific instances where schools will literally throw their materials away, IN THE TRASH, PALLATES OF PAPER, IN THE TRASH, just so they can keep the same budget they already have.. talk about wasteful. For the paper to make it seem like the schools budget is tight, and thats why they cant address the problem, might not be the case. A competitive school market would do wonders for these situations, in my opinion.

Old 05-13-2007, 08:58 PM

5,265 posts, read 16,545,311 times
Yes....this article should come as a shock to nobody who has lived in this area for more than 5 years. It's true, "the good life has peaked" in Wake County. Sadly, this is especially true here in Apex (which you see is the town they first mentioned and made an example of).

Old 05-13-2007, 09:09 PM

9,848 posts, read 30,208,531 times
Thumbs down Good Article, but silly quotes

Quote from Article:

"There are a lot of things I love here," said legal assistant Beth Christo, 44, of Holly Springs. "But this 'Camelot' thing they try to sell people is false advertising. We've got a lot of issues that need to be solved. Leaders here have not been able to keep up with the growth."

Who is selling a "Camelot" thing? This is not the first time I have heard somebody complain about being "duped" by so called propoganda. I just can't figure out what propoganda they are talking about. Maybe I watch the wrong tv channels, read the wrong newspapers, or visit the wrong websites, but I have never seen, heard, or been exposed to any propoganda about Wake county. Seems like people who say such things are just looking for somebody to point a finger at to lay blame to instead of admitting that they themselves didn't do enough research before making such a big decision to move here.

Wake county has its share of challenges, but I don't see any evidence of people trying to hide these facts. There isn't some big conspiracy going on here. This is a good article, but that quote really cracks me up.

Old 05-13-2007, 09:38 PM

12,475 posts, read 32,155,479 times
You guys are too funny! Having lived here for over 30 years, I've seen nothing but growth for this area. I cannot tell you how many times in the last 30 years I've heard complaints about the schools and the roads and just the growth, in general. Yet, our cost of living is somewhat low and our way of life seems to be way above so many other areas! And people just keep coming! I've heard for years and years that the growth will stop and yet, I haven't seen it! There isn't ONE area that is perfect for everyone. If this isn't the area for you, you'll figure it out soon enough and you'll move to the next area. Yep...its that simple.

Hope y'all had a great Mother's Day!

Vicki

Old 05-14-2007, 05:34 AM

1,611 posts, read 4,836,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teach07 View Post
... Sounds like the northern curse to me. I'm from the midwest, but my expectations are a whole lot different and I am slightly turned off not because of NC (and I refuse to blame the state) but the demanding influx of people moving there, complaining, and draining things.
Nice!
So now you know the expectations of all northerners?
Ans your presence, since you are from the midwest, does not lead to overcrowding. You are not a drain?

C'mon.

Enough of the Yankee bashing. When it comes to adding to the crowding, a transplant is a transplant is a transplant.

Old 05-14-2007, 07:46 AM

478 posts, read 2,041,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Raleigh_Guy View Post
Who is selling a "Camelot" thing? This is not the first time I have heard somebody complain about being "duped" by so called propoganda. I just can't figure out what propoganda they are talking about. Maybe I watch the wrong tv channels, read the wrong newspapers, or visit the wrong websites, but I have never seen, heard, or been exposed to any propoganda about Wake county.
Why would a city put up signs reading, 'The Peak of Good Living' with the county seal on it? Why tell locals and newcomers what to feel about a place? Why spend the money on such things?

Have you read through 'City Life, Carolina Style' bragging at Raleighcvb.org? And how many people know exactly what number Cary, Apex, Raleigh, etc rated on various 'Best Place to' lists?

Propaganda exists. Doesn't mean people shouldn't cultivate critical thinking skills (maybe for the first time in their life) and resist mindless following of the crowd. But propaganda definitely exists about Wake County.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary