U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-10-2009, 09:11 PM

238 posts, read 640,759 times

Advertisements

I'm hearing the weather man say there could be "major issues" in regards to flooding later this week. What exactly does that mean for this area? Are we talking some overrun streams/lakes or are we talking people's homes getting ruined? I'm from Pittsburgh and to me "major issues" meant the 3 rivers flooding and entire neighborhoods/towns being destroyed. Just trying to get some perspective....
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2009, 09:22 PM

Location: See endorsements: https://www.facebook.com/lorilyn.bailey.7/
6,274 posts, read 15,426,467 times
Crabtree Creek sometimes floods Crabtree Mall on Glenwood -- the parking lot and the interior.

Some roads elsewhere get flooded, blocking them. New Hope Church Road near Capital always seems to temporarily flood.

I remember some apartments somewhere in Raleigh getting flooded.

We live on a small lake, and during Hurricane Fran, it brought a huge turtle up over the fence, and the water came up about 10 feet into the yard, but we're on a slight hill, so it's no big deal. During really heavy rains, it might come up 5 feet into the yard.

I have no idea what the current rains will do. Other people may know the "standard places" it might flood. It's not major. No neighborhoods lost or anything like that.

None of it lasts very long -- usually.

Sounds like it will be much worse along the coast.

Tomorrow is Veteran's Day, so some people have the day off (state employees, banks). That may help out with traffic a bit tomorrow.

Last edited by lovebrentwood; 11-10-2009 at 09:34 PM..

Old 11-10-2009, 09:23 PM

2,932 posts, read 7,477,799 times
The floods here are usually "flash" in nature. We won't have prolonged days under water or anything like that. The places that flood (the usual suspects) know who they are. If you are in a newer development I'd definitely take a look at the NC Flood Maps provided for free online. You should be ok, but just keep an eye on any local streams near you and drive safely. It's quite easy to misconstrue[URL="http://www.google.com/url?q=http://www.thefreedictionary.com/misconstrue&ei=Gzz6SsunO4uinQe-tun2DA&sa=X&oi=spellmeleon_result&resnum=1&ct=resu lt&ved=0CAcQhgIwAA&usg=AFQjCNGLsLG0vXVkMBNQ-BItmZkKqJ0_Tg"][/URL]a giant puddle for a shiny wet piece of roadway.

Old 11-10-2009, 09:33 PM

10,706 posts, read 21,702,357 times
It's very rare for your home to flood unless you live in a really low area. Your yard might be soggy or even have "channels" that are ruined by water, but nothing serious. The time time we had flooding of a major significance was Hurricane Floyd in 1999, and that was east of Raleigh.

Old 11-11-2009, 08:18 AM

71 posts, read 199,503 times
There are usually flooded roads where pipes have been clogged by wood and debris washing downstream and at older bridges that don't have much clearance over streams above the normal water elevations. If you see a roadway with water running across it, don't drive through because you might drive right into a washed out road pothole or be pushed sideways into the creek.

The weather and news channels warn about flash flooding because there are always people who will try to drive through flooded roads and then get trapped when their car stops running (engine flooded with water) or washed off the road by water velocities stronger than they appear at the surface.

Old 11-11-2009, 08:46 AM

1,961 posts, read 5,699,900 times
Big issue this time of year will be standing water in streets, due to storm drains being clogged with leaves. I'm sure some roads will get closed due to 4 ft of water due to drainage issues. Good news is downstream flooding on the neuse won't be an issue since the lake is so low.

Old 11-11-2009, 10:03 AM

12,475 posts, read 30,889,802 times
When we first moved to Raleigh, over 30 years ago, we rented an apt. on McNeil Street.

This is right off Old Wake Forest Road.

Our street flooded to the left of us and to the right of us. There were a whole group of apts. down the hill from us that flooded but I can't remember the name.

Like another poster said, Crabtree Valley Mall is usually the first sign of flash flooding in the area but if you are not in a flood plain, you probably have little to worry about!

Vicki

Old 11-11-2009, 02:29 PM

1,277 posts, read 3,402,697 times
We didn't go shopping today at Crabtree mall for this very reason - it is known to flood. Most roads have good crowning and ditches on either side to control the rain fall -- the same things that create havoc during an ice storm as folks start sliding around!

Today, we made soup and sandwiches and curled up with books at home instead of doing some early xmas shopping as we had planned.

I did have to go out a few times today for various errands - early, mid day and just now - mid day had the most standing water on the roads and roadsides - I just went out now and the roads are pretty clear. WRAL was saying 2.6" of water from Noon yesterday to Noon today - Falls Lake sure needed it so glad to see some nice rain. I can shop another day!

Old 11-11-2009, 08:37 PM

4,532 posts, read 8,450,313 times
I haven't really been keeping up with the news on this as I'm not in a flood zone, will do tonight at 11pm. But as posters have said, it's usually for a short period and only in certain areas around town. Some neighborhoods are subject to flooding whenever we get too much in a short period or even prolonged like this current system. I don't believe it's going to be on the scale you are used to. Again, I'd keep an eye on the news. WRAL is my favorite but others are good too.

Now what has happened in the past with similar amts of water and wind, is that the ground gets saturated and as soon as the winds become sustained, trees start falling over that would not normally if the ground were not wet. I just saw an update on tv, they are suggesting you secure outside items ready for the wind.

Areas that flood - Brentwood gave you most of them. I'd add that a section of Buffaloe Rd has some townhomes and houses which back up to the Neuse River usually flood. in the past, some homeowners have had to leave via boat or their own canoe. That neighborhood is called River Landings near Elizabeth Dr. I think only certain parts of it flood. Another area is around Western Blvd in some student apts (I think). Of course Wake Forest Rd at the car dealership next to the bridge. And, the biggie can be Crabtree "Valley". We used to joke, (not nice of us I know), that the lower level of the mall will have some great "after the flood" sales once it's dried out. Seriously, cars have been flooded while parked at street level, it's rare but can happen.

I live in Village Lakes in East Raleigh near Knightdale, our lower lakes are overfilled and have covered the dock/pier, and reached up the sloped backyards of homes at the lakes edge by about 7ft- length, not depth. This is normal with a heavy rain and is no threat due to how the homes were built (distance, height). Let's hope the chatter is the usual and mostly precautionary.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary