Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2009, 11:58 AM

133 posts, read 331,530 times

Advertisements

My son goes to first grade and I think over the course of his first 2 years of school, he has come home with more requests to buy things, donate money to things, etc than I did in my entire 12 years of public education.

Between the fund raisers, t-shirts, book clubs, magnets, pictures, charitable requests, field trips, holiday events, PTA, etc, it seems like every day there is a another $10 or $20 that we are shelling out for something.

Don't get me wrong, I'm glad that PTA seems active and that they are trying to do some fun things for the kids but after a while, you become kind of "numb" to the solicitation and I can only imagine that it affects the participation in some of the projects/fund raisers.

Anyone else feel this way?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2009, 12:08 PM

Default Who thinks carpool is a nightmare?

I get that isn't easy to organize a couple hundred kids from dozens of different class rooms who are excited to be going home and efficiently get them to the correct car outside. I get it.

HOWEVER....Why is it that the process is sooooooooooo slow, so disorganized at times and just plain awful???

Kids are dismissed at 3:00 at our school and often, the teachers aren't even checking the carpool numbers until after 3:00, still having to walk through the line and then communicate those numbers back to the school. I could go on and on but was interested in other opinions.

Old 11-09-2009, 12:43 PM

831 posts, read 1,966,381 times
While I am not a parent, I definitely see what you're referring to....our group mailbox at work usually has an order booklet or samples of something (and a desperate parent) lying in wait for an unsuspecting coworker to pick up their mail. It's gotten to the point where I heard one lady pass by the mailboxes and say "WHAT NOW?"

So yep, I see it and I don't even have kids.

Old 11-09-2009, 12:44 PM

792 posts, read 4,491,038 times
Why don't you volunteer to help, since it seems that you have plenty of time to wait in the carpool line while things are so disorganized? I bet the teachers at your kid's school would really appreciate it!

Old 11-09-2009, 12:48 PM

8,269 posts, read 25,122,216 times
I prefer to just cut the PTA a check and that's it for the year.

Old 11-09-2009, 12:50 PM

8,269 posts, read 25,122,216 times
Have your kids ride the bus. Cuts down on the carpool maddness for everyone!

Old 11-09-2009, 12:51 PM

426 posts, read 1,490,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryBean View Post
Why is it that the process is sooooooooooo slow, so disorganized at times and just plain awful???
Sorry to hear that you have such a bad carpool experience. Maybe you can offer some suggestions to the ppl in charge?

My child goes to Laurel Park Elementary and Im very impressed with their carpool procedure. Well organized and quick.

Old 11-09-2009, 12:54 PM

2,698 posts, read 12,182,686 times
i don't get it. what are the teachers communicating back to the school?

is it not just a matter of picking up the kids you're supposed to pick up and leaving? do the teachers now have to make sure each child leaves with the 'proper' adult?

Mike

Old 11-09-2009, 01:01 PM

8,583 posts, read 16,023,087 times
yep...it is all too much..

I don't worry about it though

75% of it goes to my trash can..
If fundraisers take away from family time then the tradeoff
is not worth it...

I help at school for 2-3 events a year, support what I really
think is important and don't worry about the rest.

Our "senior parents" go a bit overboard with a senior event
almost every week it seems... That is fine but I am not going to
feel quilty because they over plan stuff and expect help for
every event..

Old 11-09-2009, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dedratermi View Post
Why don't you volunteer to help, since it seems that you have plenty of time to wait in the carpool line while things are so disorganized? I bet the teachers at your kid's school would really appreciate it!
Thanks for your advice!!

I DO volunteer...I read in the mornings, I volunteer with PTA and I do "lunch bunch" at least once per month. Next time..just ask.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary