Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2009, 09:07 AM

43,286 posts, read 77,115,925 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDUBiker View Post
Greasemap found 1 location in this page. Click here to map them.

It appears that the old owner did those tiles right on top of the older vinyl that you see in the kitchen and other bathrooms. I definitely plan to cover over it with brand new stuff, but the question is whether I go with a new 1/4" underlayment board, then new sheet vinyl, or use the product I found at HD called "Allure" which looks promising. It costs a bit more per square foot but is easier to put down and looks (to me) nicer than your inexpensive rolled or pre-cut sheet vinyl and I could match the oak cabinets better I think. Still thinking through the whole thing.

I agree with clean and fresh - in fact I always did that before a new renter moved in also. People seemed very impressed by the "freshness" each time I turned the property over. I always clean them up nice enough so that even my wife and I would be happy moving in. Makes people appreciate the attention to detail and shows you care.
You will need to lift the toilet to put down a new floor.
With it out of the way, I would strongly advise you to strip down to the subfloor, taking out tiles and old sheet vinyl.
Then the new 1/4" lauan plywood with new sheet vinyl.
It will make a much better job.

Also, that will let you look at the subflooring and see any wet wood that may need replaced.

It really isn't that much more work to make a great job of it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2009, 09:43 AM

1,246 posts, read 4,188,845 times
IMO, I'd spend money on decent flooring and leave the brass. If you switch out fixtures you're talking a good chunk of change to switch out ceiling fans, lights and then door knobs and hinges. It isn't all that bad in the grand scheme of things. Not that I *like* brass, but our last 2 houses have had brass door knobs and they just blend into the background anymore. I'm not about to shell out $$$ to buy more than 25 new doorknobs and hinges when the ones we have work just fine! And IMO if you DO decide to switch out oil rubbed bronze looks so much warmer and current than nickel.

Old 11-13-2009, 09:53 AM

2,905 posts, read 5,922,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielleNC View Post
Is it slightly shaggy? That is very popular now. My parents recently had it put down in their home and my friend had it put down in their house they just built. It's light beige with slightly different colors in it.

As far as people dissing laminate I disagree with most of it. If you get the higher end laminate like we did it does NOT scratch or look fake. Also, if you get the good padding like we did it doesn't sound loud or hollow either. It can be slippery with socks on though, just like wood flooring. But since you are selling and not keeping it to rent, then carpet is cheaper so I would just stick with that.

I agree that the lower end laminate can look fake and have other issues. I would never suggest that to anyone, including a rental.

The house looks pretty good. Like everyone else said just clean it up, give a nice neutral paint job to freshen it up, new flooring the the bathrooms, and a nice carpet in the living areas. If you can find a nice affordable tile for the kitchen I would do that. And I would replace anything brass looking. It will set you apart from the other homes who still have it and new buyers will see it's one less thing they have to change. Good Luck!
It is indeed exactly as you describe. Looks very similar to carpet I have in my house right now and I do like it. It's stylish and doesn't scream out "I cheaped out on this carpet" by any means.

Tile for the kitchen floor is a great idea, but I don't think that would be quite in the budget. Maybe a potential buyer will see all the other nice new stuff and think of it as the one area they could later upgrade?

Old 11-13-2009, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cncsmomndad View Post
IMO, I'd spend money on decent flooring and leave the brass. If you switch out fixtures you're talking a good chunk of change to switch out ceiling fans, lights and then door knobs and hinges. It isn't all that bad in the grand scheme of things. Not that I *like* brass, but our last 2 houses have had brass door knobs and they just blend into the background anymore. I'm not about to shell out $$$ to buy more than 25 new doorknobs and hinges when the ones we have work just fine! And IMO if you DO decide to switch out oil rubbed bronze looks so much warmer and current than nickel.
Not a bad idea. Maybe I'll get the flooring and paint all done and then see how it "feels" with the brass and go from there. It may be that the flooring and paint and landscaping does enough to dress it up that nobody cares about the brass.

Old 11-13-2009, 10:32 AM

6,297 posts, read 16,096,578 times
Tile on kitchen floors is tough on knees.

Old 11-13-2009, 11:11 AM

1,177 posts, read 2,341,591 times
I just spent the last 3 weeks changing out all my brass to oil rubbed bronze.....

this includes 30+ door knobs, 80+ hinges, doorstops, cabinet knobs, all lights, ceiling fans, bathroom tub/shower/faucets/misc, sink faucets, and a lot more.....

it was tedious, time consuming, and costly but i was tired of seeing brass after 8 years

Old 11-13-2009, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by meanieme View Post
I just spent the last 3 weeks changing out all my brass to oil rubbed bronze.....

this includes 30+ door knobs, 80+ hinges, doorstops, cabinet knobs, all lights, ceiling fans, bathroom tub/shower/faucets/misc, sink faucets, and a lot more.....

it was tedious, time consuming, and costly but i was tired of seeing brass after 8 years
Blech...sounds like fun

Old 11-13-2009, 11:57 AM

374 posts, read 1,182,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RDUBiker View Post
Blech...sounds like fun
And a lot of $$$

Old 11-13-2009, 02:04 PM

1,177 posts, read 2,341,591 times
did I also mention swapping out white appliances for SS and changing all exterior lights too?
I'll never know if it was worth the $$$ but it was my form of catharcism after going through a bitter divorce

and I coerced my gf into helping me.....

Old 11-13-2009, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by meanieme View Post
did I also mention swapping out white appliances for SS and changing all exterior lights too?
I'll never know if it was worth the $$$ but it was my form of catharcism after going through a bitter divorce

and I coerced my gf into helping me.....
That is definitely not happening. The price range of the house does not justify SS appliances. Many people I know who live in $300-600K homes don't even have SS appliances The white ones will stay. The house even comes with a fridge! If I didn't have the fridge in there, it MIGHT have been a possibility, but not happening.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary