Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2009, 02:33 PM

2,905 posts, read 5,922,537 times

Advertisements

My renter suddenly vacated, saying he could no longer afford to live there. He left the house in acceptable condition but I need to touch up wall paint and trim, put new foyer wood flooring in, new carpets, and new vinyl in the bathrooms. The light fixtures are all old "brass" style which I think dates the house, so I may update those to newer, more modern style.

What's "popular" now for these options? The house will sell for around $160K and is a 3 br, 2 ba single (ranch) story with 2 car garage. I would not want to go and put in fancy 3/4" thick hardwoods and tile in the bathrooms, as the house price does not justify it.

I found something at Home Depot called "Allure" - looks tough, stylish, and easy to install right on top of the existing vinyl. Has anyone used it?

The entryway has very thin hardwood (?) flooring. The tenant's dog scratched it up, so I think I need to replace it. Should I go back to "real" wood or go with some sort of realistic looking laminate?

Carpet - standard brown seems outdated. They have similarly price carpet with a slightly deeper pile and some multiple colors that makes it look pretty stylish...good choice?

Finally, suggest a style of light fixture? Brass is out, what about either brushed satin/nickel or even darker? Should I change the faucets to match, or not bother?

If you were buying a house for $160K in a nice neighborhood, what would you expect to be in it, exactly?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2009, 03:15 PM

2,135 posts, read 7,657,162 times
No carpet in a rental/income property. For that price range laminate all the way -- just like the apts on HGTV's Income Property! For light fixtures I would go with bronze over nickel. It will match brass doorknobs -- unless you feel like replacing all of those also.

Edit: Are you selling the home or renting it out again?

Old 11-12-2009, 03:16 PM

93 posts, read 326,612 times
I'm going to be renting or buying in that price range next year.

I'm not clear, are you fixing this up to sell? In that case, you would probably want to work harder to make sure fixtures match, so if you're going to replace some in nickel, you probably should do the whole room.

If you are renting, I would say you could leave any fixtures that are in good condition.

I will very specifically be looking for a home with NO Carpeting. I hate the thought of being in constant contact with a petrolem distillate. It is plastic, for heaven's sake! not to mention the nightmare of knowing what is under there (Pull it up and see! Gross!)

If you must carpet, berber stays nicer looking longer. If you are selling, consider tile instead of vinyl. It can be very inexpensive.

Just my 2 cents!

Old 11-12-2009, 03:38 PM

1,877 posts, read 5,343,620 times
I would go with laminate too. We put it down in my boyfriends house and love it. So easy to clean and many people think it's real hardwood. You also don't need to worry about ruined carpet, if you are still renting it out. I would make sure all the fixtures match and anything should be nice as long as it isn't brass.

Old 11-12-2009, 04:13 PM

4,532 posts, read 8,871,316 times
May I ask which neighborhood it's in? Have you looked at comps in the same neighborhood to see how dressed up they are? Your post says you plan to sell it. If you plan to ask at market then you may need to do some of the things you asked. If you sell below, then obviously more lattitude. I am not sure I would replace wood with something cheaper, even in this price range and esp given the current market - if you have competition then you may want to stand above them. I've looked at loads, and loads of homes these past 2 yrs both for myself and investments, and I've seen it all - some homes were updated, some were not, either way, they sold. It all depends on where and the price. A realtor would know way more about all this than me. Perhaps you could post some pics for folks to weigh in on and, share where it is....

Old 11-12-2009, 04:34 PM

6,297 posts, read 16,096,578 times
For the foyer, look into Novalis peel-and-stick vinyl planks in "golden oak." Novalis at Lowe's: 4" x 36" Timber Golden Oak Vinyl Plank It's $1.07 a square foot. Get extras for replacements.

You can Google the terms and find photos from homeowners who have installed it. (My sister installed it in her kitchen and family room and loves it.)

If you want to get rid of the old carpet, I'd do the whole place (including kitchen and bathrooms) in the same vinyl planks. It looks like hardwood floors. I'd rather have that than laminate. Laminate can scratch easily, be slippery, and sound loud when you walk on it, and it's more expensive.

We put berber throughout our rental home, and it doesn't last that long. I wish we'd put the vinyl planks in instead. Renters can then get their own rugs.

We did repaint the whole place in a very pale, airy beige, with white trim, and it looked very good.

I would leave the light fixtures if you are renting it out (we did replace the ones in our rental) and replace them with nickel if you are selling the place. Light fixtures are actually very inexpensive, and you might as well replace them with nickel even if you're not selling.

Last edited by lovebrentwood; 11-12-2009 at 04:53 PM..

Old 11-12-2009, 04:42 PM

43,284 posts, read 77,115,925 times
The price point is hot-hot-hot with the 1st timers tax credit driving the bus.

What age and style of 3/2 rancher?
And is the 'nice' neighborhood heavily rental, or more owner-occupied?

I don't see Owner-Occupant buyers loving room after room of laminate. They seem to think it is too fake.
I suggest you revisit the hardwoods. Particularly if you can DIY with prefinished.
Payback may come to you in the form of a quicker sale.

Nickel is good.
Oiled bronze is good.
Bright brass evokes evisceral reactions.

Old 11-12-2009, 05:03 PM

12,475 posts, read 32,246,306 times
I agree with the poster that said to look around your n'hood and see what other houses have. Look at the "sold" homes to see.

I would not recommend any type of peel and stick. I would not recommend that you put laminate all over the house. I wouldn't use Berber carpet, too many buyers do not like it.

If you are going to paint, use a neutral like Killem Beige with white trim.

I'd go a bit nicer if you are going to sell. If you are going to rent, I'd use less upgrades since you'll end up having to re do a lot in between renters.

Vicki

Old 11-12-2009, 05:37 PM

6,297 posts, read 16,096,578 times
What is left for the floors?

Plain carpeting? If it's for a rental, it won't last.

The peel-and-stick I recommended doesn't look a bit like peel-and-stick. It looks like hardwood or good laminate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VickiR View Post
I agree with the poster that said to look around your n'hood and see what other houses have. Look at the "sold" homes to see.

I would not recommend any type of peel and stick. I would not recommend that you put laminate all over the house. I wouldn't use Berber carpet, too many buyers do not like it.

If you are going to paint, use a neutral like Killem Beige with white trim.

I'd go a bit nicer if you are going to sell. If you are going to rent, I'd use less upgrades since you'll end up having to re do a lot in between renters.

Vicki

Old 11-12-2009, 06:52 PM

12,475 posts, read 32,246,306 times
I'd go with carpet in the bedrooms. I'd suggest less expensive if he is going to rent the house. If he is going to sell, I'd go with a better carpet but I'd stick with regular builder type carpet, not berber, not frieze.

In the kitchen and family room, you can get a decent engineered hardwood from Lumber Liquidators. However, if he is going to rent, I'd use a good sheet vinyl.

I'm basing this on what my buyers ask for and what is customary in that price range.

Vicki
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary