Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2017, 10:27 PM

3,395 posts, read 7,767,831 times

Advertisements

I average about $80/month in Cary for water/sewer and garbage/recycle combined. Lowest month was $71 and highest was $86.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2017, 11:24 PM

3 posts, read 2,763 times
You can't (or shouldn't) make new (or future) residents pay for past infrastucture issues, or poor planning by local authorities long before they ever decided to move here. Let's take an engineering approach to this: determine present issues and capacities, identify existing problems with the most efficient ways to resolve them, require our city and state authorities to do the necessary long-term planning in order to address FUTURE anticipated needs - and then decide as a community and state how best to pay for them. Continue with long-term bonds? Property taxes? Infrastructure funds from the state and federal governments? That's what we elect mayors, county officials, state representatives, and our people in Congress for.

Old 12-11-2017, 02:52 AM

1,527 posts, read 1,479,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptSisko View Post
You can't (or shouldn't) make new (or future) residents pay for past infrastucture issues, or poor planning by local authorities long before they ever decided to move here. Let's take an engineering approach to this: determine present issues and capacities, identify existing problems with the most efficient ways to resolve them, require our city and state authorities to do the necessary long-term planning in order to address FUTURE anticipated needs - and then decide as a community and state how best to pay for them. Continue with long-term bonds? Property taxes? Infrastructure funds from the state and federal governments? That's what we elect mayors, county officials, state representatives, and our people in Congress for.
Make the developers pony up for new service requirements.

Old 12-11-2017, 04:05 AM

1,243 posts, read 2,237,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapitalBlvd View Post
Make the developers pony up for new service requirements.
In the end, homeowners pay the bills.

Old 12-11-2017, 04:10 AM

34,088 posts, read 82,920,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atas View Post
I just moved down here from NY where my water bill was 35 a month.
Think how much you're saving on the heating oil bill!

Old 12-11-2017, 07:32 AM

9,358 posts, read 14,085,892 times
My water bill = $0
Sewer bill = $0

Gotta love living rural!

Of course there is some maintenance involved, probably $250 a year.

Old 12-11-2017, 07:35 AM

9,265 posts, read 8,259,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luv4horses View Post
My water bill = $0
Sewer bill = $0

Gotta love living rural!

It all evens out in the end. It's nice to not worry about issues with your well or septic.

I also never liked a pool of my own excrement buried in my back yard, but that was just me

Old 12-11-2017, 07:40 AM

34,088 posts, read 82,920,234 times
Quote:
My water bill = $0
Sewer bill = $0

Gotta love living rural!
And an amortization for the initial install costs; elec svc too (vs an in-town property).

Old 12-11-2017, 09:27 AM

9,358 posts, read 14,085,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
And an amortization for the initial install costs; elec svc too (vs an in-town property).
You buy the house and it is usually already there, done and paid for.

And a septic tank is simply a bioreactor, efficiently converting used organics to water and small molecules. No fuss, no muss.

Yes the well needs power but the cost is really low for a pump (as opposed to heating and cooling for example).

But I meant this sort of to be amusing. You are required to have large acreage to have your own water and septic. The OP should look at his bill again, since often the public water bill includes the cost of the sewage removal/treatment. Often they use an assumption that the removal gallonage is equivalent to the water useage and send the bill as one.

Old 12-11-2017, 09:54 AM

9,265 posts, read 8,259,873 times
Quote:
You buy the house and it is usually already there, done and paid for.
I'm sure you realize this, but septic systems/leach fields don't last forever- 20 years give or take. Any many systems require a pump which requires additional electricity.

I'm just nitpicking, but you get the idea.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary