Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2007, 08:29 AM

10 posts, read 9,328 times

Advertisements

We are also moving to Cary area, looking at a variety of neighborhoods, confused between Cary, Apex and Holly Springs. Husband works in Cary. 10 yr old will be going to St. Mary's and 8 and 5 yr old to hopefully a traditional school? Planning a househunting trip on June 1st...any suggestions on where to look?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2007, 09:49 AM

62 posts, read 256,996 times
All them are nice, up-and-coming areas. It really depends on what you want - where you'd rather live, the price range, amount of land, schools, new construction vs. older home.

Whats your criteria?

Old 05-14-2007, 12:45 PM

Coming from MA, we would like to have a neighborhood, good schools (traditional) and good zoning. Our price range is high 400's low 500's. Also, for resale, if my husband gets transferred, would like a resale to be desirable.
My husband has been over at Sunset Ridge, said it was beautiful, but people he works with (natives from Cary) warn him about Holly Springs, but not giving him direct reasons why? Any feedback, is there a big difference between Cary and HS or Apex?

Any help would be appreciated!

Old 05-14-2007, 01:32 PM

149 posts, read 772,492 times
I can't, for the life of me, figure out why they would say stay away from HOlly Springs. I would get them to elaborate and then post for the rest of us. Honestly, that makes no sense. There is absolutely nothing wrong with Holly Springs. There are beautiful homes and has a nice small town feel. This kinda has me curious (and a little bit of fumming!).

Quote:
Originally Posted by janice3 View Post
Coming from MA, we would like to have a neighborhood, good schools (traditional) and good zoning. Our price range is high 400's low 500's. Also, for resale, if my husband gets transferred, would like a resale to be desirable.
My husband has been over at Sunset Ridge, said it was beautiful, but people he works with (natives from Cary) warn him about Holly Springs, but not giving him direct reasons why? Any feedback, is there a big difference between Cary and HS or Apex?

Old 05-14-2007, 01:39 PM

2,183 posts, read 7,971,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janice3 View Post

We moved to Sunset Ridge in Holly Springs in September from CA. We love it here. I think Holly Springs gets a bad rap personally. We looked all over the Raleigh and Charlotte areas. We had set our sites on North Raleigh and just couldn't find what we wanted. We had a very generous price range so it wasn't cost that was holding us back. We wanted a nice rural place to raise our kids (13,10 and 8) where the public schools were good and the neighborhood held a nice family oriented feel. Something where my hubby had a 30 minute or less commute. We wanted social activity within our neighborhood. Wooded lots with room. Custom homes. I did not mind driving 15 minutes to major shopping (Targets and such) but did not want to have to get on a major 4 lane road or Hwy to do so. I wanted pretty tree lined roads to drive on. We found all that in Holly Springs and in our particular neighborhood. Yes Harris nuclear plant is close and yes they will be putting in a landfill. But if you do your research the landfill will be easy to avoid. Cary and Apex are also nice areas. I just love how towns get these stigmas but the people who bad mouth them really have nothing to back up their hot air!

Old 05-14-2007, 02:06 PM

202 posts, read 946,993 times
Well if you are worried about resale you should look at the number of houses available in Sunset Ridge. I know it's a big neighborhood but if you just do a quick search on "Sunset Ridge" there approx. 70 homes that are for sale.

I think Holly Springs is a nice area. I think the landfill is far enough away that it's a non-issue for Sunset Ridge. We decided in the end to pass on Sunset Ridge for several reasons, but it wasn't because we thought Holly Spring's wasn't a nice area. We are now focused on the Apex/Cary area. The problem with Cary is it is getting expensive and the lots are rather small. We are finding in Apex the lots are bigger and it's a happy medium between Cary/Holly Springs.

Old 05-14-2007, 02:51 PM

2,183 posts, read 7,971,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rngr99rck View Post
Well if you are worried about resale you should look at the number of houses available in Sunset Ridge. I know it's a big neighborhood but if you just do a quick search on "Sunset Ridge" there approx. 70 homes that are for sale.
I have noticed that certain homes go up for sale here in Sunset Ridge and are gone in less than a week while others sit. Many of those 70 homes you mention are homes that are under construction currently and are sold but have not closed escrow yet. I think too that based on the size of the neighborhood you could pretty much make a comparison for many neighborhoods in Cary and Apex. For example we looked in Windmere when we were looking and there were 14 homes for sell in that neighborhood at the time. that neighborhood only has a something like 70 homes. Another one was Regency. There were quite a few homes for sell in that neighborhood when we looked as well as Lochmere. I think a major factor in these homes is that they are all in the higher price range in these neighborhoods and there are not not a large number of people that can or want to spend $500K or more on a home. That said I really don't think you can compare apples to apples with your observation.

Old 05-15-2007, 04:43 PM

Hello,

Thank you for all your input, my husband has been looking in all these areas, honestly loves them all, it is me that is a bit more picky. I quess I will have to be there and live a while and pick from that. Thank you for all your experience, anyone have thought about renting?

Old 01-28-2009, 07:24 AM

6 posts, read 12,216 times
Hi, I am new to these forums, but have read a lot recently and thank everyone for all the great insights! My husband are I, like many others, are planning to sell our NJ home and move to NC, and are also considering the Holly Springs area.. we loved the Devil's Ridge/Sunset Ridge neighborhoods. I have a question though..we are in our late 40's with one daughter in college; most discussions I read about refer to younger families, and I am wondering if we will really fit in in this area, or does anyone have other suggestions for neighborhoods that might be closer in fitting to our age group? While we loved the above mentioned area, we are open to others like that, just need to be with 45 or so min to the airport.. We are thankful for any advice!

Old 01-28-2009, 09:53 AM

249 posts, read 689,376 times
My wife and I moved into Sunset Ridge in August and love it. But we are on the opposite end of the spectrum. We are late 20s with a baby on the way. I live off Sunset Fairways(in a less expensive part of Sunset Ridge...homes go for mid 300s) and I would have to say from my experience that most people are in there late 30s/early 40s with kids that are in the late elementary school to HS years. While we don't know that many people yet, our neighbors are the only other people near us that are 30 or younger. So while there are plenty of kids around, most are school aged.

I am not sure what your price range is but if you like that area and want something that is more in your demographic, you should check out the homes around Sunset Lake off Lake Flower Drive. My house backs up to the neighborhood and when we want a nice quiet walk with the dogs, we cut through our back yard and walk over there. Most of the people in that neighborood seem to be late 40s and 50s. They have a great boardwalk that takes you down by Sunset Lake.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary