Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2009, 08:04 PM

273 posts, read 562,495 times

Advertisements

Hello,

Looking at the Renaissance Park neighborhood in Raleigh. Seems to be an up and coming area. Love the neighborhood style as it is similiar to Bedford. But recently heard the Tryon Road extension is on hold and the commercial stores that will be going in may be a Golden Corral and a Strayer University. Anyone live in this neighborhood have any opinions on this area? Any improvments in the surrounding area expected in the next couple of years? My concern about buying here would be losing property value with the development not finishing. I was looking into Olde Towne and heard that went belly up recently. Any info would be fantastic!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2009, 09:19 AM

306 posts, read 883,151 times
Have you searched this forum for threads on RP? There are several - one is fairly recent and addresses what you are asking.

Old 11-16-2009, 11:56 AM

The threads i have seen are from 2007 and 2008. Looking for feedback from people that actually live there and may know what is going on within the community etc. They have had recent meetings on the commercial property going in and if Tryon Road will get done. I know the area but am not part of the HOA nor am i involved with talking to the developer. So looking for a fresh perspective of what is happening in the neighborhood/area.

Old 11-16-2009, 02:51 PM

80 posts, read 192,390 times
Default Golden Corral and Strayer at RP

Try this link from the Southwest CAC. The meeting from Nov 9 had the development of Golden Corral or Strayer Univ on the agenda.

http://raleighnc.gov/publications/Co...est-agenda.pdf

[SIZE=2][SIZE=2][LEFT]Commercial Activity at the corner of South Wilmington Street and Tryon Road
the plan for Renaissance Park includes three blocks of retail with this corner
corner block being developed first. At this time Amelia Park LLC the parent of
Renaissance Park, is planning to fill that first block with GOLDEN CORRAL
and Strayer University. Representatives from Amelia Park LLC and
Golden Corral will join us to discuss their plan and to hear our ideas.
This will be the time to express your opinions about what type of businesses[/LEFT]
you will be willing to support in that area.
[/SIZE]
[/SIZE]

Old 11-16-2009, 03:18 PM

9,848 posts, read 30,281,123 times
A Golden Corral at that location is unfortuante. I don't think that is the type of commercial development that area needs. I like the proximity of RP to DT Raleigh but the dining and retail options in the immediate vicinity are lacking and don't look like they will improve much any time soon. Putting a Golden Corral in that area is not a plus in my book.

Old 11-16-2009, 06:37 PM

Wow so it looks like a Golden Corral is definitely going in per that SWCAC doc. And a Strayer University?? Not looking very appealing after seeing that agenda and what Amelia Park is letting in as far as business. I was hoping for a Lowes/Harris Teeter/Whole Foods or something to draw in a new demographic. This sucks as i love the house options.

Old 11-18-2009, 09:09 PM

27 posts, read 92,202 times
Default Maybe not a Golden Corral

I have a friend who lives there, and she told me that the people at the meeting made it very clear that they do NOT want a Golden Corral. She said they are pushing for more upscale shops and restaurants - she mentioned Starbucks.

I don't know what they will finally decide, but there is hope that the residents will re-direct the plans.

By the way, her house is beautiful.

Last edited by ace22; 11-18-2009 at 09:10 PM.. Reason: forgot something

Old 11-19-2009, 07:45 AM

Thanks ace22, it is good to know they are fighting having that restaurant. The area has so much potential and i hope the developer goes along with what the homeowners want I took a ride by there again yesterday and still love the homes.

Old 11-19-2009, 12:49 PM

166 posts, read 664,018 times
Why would Golden Corral want to put in a restaurant there when they already have one a mile away? Would that mean they plan to close the current restaurant? I hate the thought of an empty building along that road front while they wait for a tenant/buyer, and then it always seems like some business even less desirable would end up in the building. Either way, it is bad for the area. They should stay put where they are, and let some other restaurant come in--if the developer wants a buffet in there, why not try for something healthier, like Sweet Tomatoes--that we don't have already in Garner.

Old 11-19-2009, 03:02 PM

9,848 posts, read 30,281,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ace22 View Post
I have a friend who lives there, and she told me that the people at the meeting made it very clear that they do NOT want a Golden Corral. She said they are pushing for more upscale shops and restaurants - she mentioned Starbucks.

I don't know what they will finally decide, but there is hope that the residents will re-direct the plans.

By the way, her house is beautiful.
Just ad FYI but those Citizen Advisory Councils (CAC) have basically zero pull when it comes to decisions like this. THe residents may say they don't want it but that doesn't stop it from happening. If the area is already zoned for commercial development as long as it meets zoning a developer can put jsut about anything he wants.

I once went to a North Raleigh CAC meeting and saw many people who were against a new Rite Aid being built over by Six Forks Road in an area that had 11 drug stores within a 3 mile radius. They voiced their oposition but it did not change anything. The Rite Aid was approved and built. CAC's help keep you informed of what is coming but do not give any real power to change it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary