Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2009, 09:07 AM

26 posts, read 79,793 times

Advertisements

My husband just started a job at the RTP. We have been looking to build in the $700,000+/- range with a larger lot (prefer 1 acre). Most of our search has been in the North Raleigh, Wakefield, Wake Forest area with some thought to Chatham county. My husband was just told to look in the Hillsborough area. Any recommended subdivisions? Pros and cons of Hillsborough area versus others?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2009, 09:11 AM

1,877 posts, read 5,343,620 times
Fox Hill Farm! Large lots and beautiful! There are only pros, no cons J/K

The one con I can think of is it is a small town and you will have to drive 15-30 minutes for your larger shopping centers and malls. But they have a quaint historic small downtown with great shops, restaurants, and Weaver Street Market. As well as a Food Lion, Lowes Food, Super Walmart, and Home Depot.

There's also Red Hill Farm.

In the lower price range for half an acre is Churton Grove, which is really nice too. Although, they are mostly between $300,000-$500,000.

Last edited by DanielleNC; 11-17-2009 at 09:31 AM..

Old 11-17-2009, 10:54 AM

1,489 posts, read 5,694,803 times
I guess it kinda depends on you as far as pros and cons. What exactly are you looking for?

Old 11-17-2009, 03:22 PM

60 posts, read 118,745 times
You have to be careful when you're building a $700,000 plus home in a rural area, even if you think you will never move, you never know what can happen. Resale can be challenging in this price range. In the Hillsborough area I would stick to the neighborhoods around St. Mary's Road which are closer to Duke University, or else south of I-85 which is adjacent to Chapel Hill. Tuscany Ridge is another nice neighborhood in that location. Fox Hill Farm is a great location and a very pretty neighborhood. So is Pleasant Green Woods, and there are smaller lots (between 1-2 acres) available there.

Moderator cut: No realtor links allowed.

Last edited by Green Irish Eyes; 11-17-2009 at 04:51 PM.. Reason: No links to real estate sites allowed.

Old 11-18-2009, 06:46 AM

Thanks for the information so far. We currently live in Southeast Connecticut near Mystic, which is ruralish but full of people who work at Pfizer and other professionals. We live on an acre lot that backs up to woods. We have two girls in 7th and 8th grade with the high school about 800 - 900 kids. No gangs and no real drug problems. I worry about plopping them in Wake county with the large high schools and associated problems. I am not sure if my worries are valid or not.

I am curious why the Hillsborough area is not discussed on these forums when posters are looking for places to live? How would you compare this area with Northern Chatham county?

Old 11-18-2009, 07:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by csgood View Post
I am curious why the Hillsborough area is not discussed on these forums when posters are looking for places to live? How would you compare this area with Northern Chatham county?
If you do a search for Hillsborough you will see it has been brought up quite a few times. It is a small town so it isn't discussed as much as the larger towns and cities. Also, the criteria many transplants seem to want fits the North Raleigh and Cary area better. Transplants are more familiar with these areas and don't mind smaller lots and like the manicured look.

Sorry, I am not familiar enough with Northern Chatham County to compare the two.

Old 11-18-2009, 09:51 AM

I can't seem to find any information on Pleasant Green Woods. Is there a website for this? Price range of lots and houses going into the subdivision?

Old 11-18-2009, 10:37 AM

12,475 posts, read 32,246,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by csgood View Post
Thanks for the information so far. We currently live in Southeast Connecticut near Mystic, which is ruralish but full of people who work at Pfizer and other professionals. We live on an acre lot that backs up to woods. We have two girls in 7th and 8th grade with the high school about 800 - 900 kids. No gangs and no real drug problems. I worry about plopping them in Wake county with the large high schools and associated problems. I am not sure if my worries are valid or not.

The further out you go from the more desirable areas, the less expensive homes and land are.

For example...as North Raleigh has become so expensive, folks are moving out towards Wake Forest. Now that WF has become expensive, folks are moving out towards Rolesville.

When we lived in Cary, it was because it was less expensive than North Raleigh (back in the 1980s). As Cary as become very expensive, folks are moving out towards Apex and then Holly Springs, etc.

So...although I think Hillsborough is a cute small town, I'm not sure I'd want to live there but I really don't know it that well as a buyer or as a Realtor. And although most say they are never going to sell, I would think a $700K house in Hillsborough would take quite a while to sell.

If it were ME, I'd spend that $700K in North Raleigh. The LOCATION is more desirable.

Vicki

Old 11-18-2009, 10:45 AM

2,058 posts, read 5,862,062 times
How about Chapel Hill? The schools are great and closer to RTP than Hillsboro. I live in Durham but if I had $700K to spend on a house, it'd be in Chapel Hill before Hillsborough (even though I really like Hillsborough too).

Old 11-18-2009, 11:19 AM

Most people pick Hillsborough because it is a small town, rural, and little traffic, yet convenient to other cities/towns. It's more liberal compared to other small towns. Obviously, if that isn't what you are looking for then go with some of the other suggestions. You will see the obvious difference between the different towns. Like Vicki said, she doesn't care for Hillsborough and lives in Wake Forest. My boyfriend and I like Wake Forest itself, but it is surrounded by traffic and just too built up for us. So that's why we like Hillsborough (although in Efland for now).

I would go down the list of my priorities to narrow down the area cities and towns. Are you asking about Hillsborough and Northern Chatham because you want a small rural town? I believe there are neighborhoods with an acre or so in your price range in Raleigh that others can point out for you if you want a more suburban feel close to shopping and downtowns. Yes, resale in a small town like Hillsborough will take longer compared to a city like Raleigh. It just all comes down to your priorities and what will make you happy. Good Luck! There are lots of options around!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary