Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2009, 08:13 PM

9,848 posts, read 30,286,677 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by UVinNJ View Post
I was just visiting the Raleigh area and could not believe how aggressive the driving was! Tailgating, cutting off, speeding and no blinkers!
I bet you could do a search on city data and find a post just like this on every state and metro forum.

Bad drivers live everywhere.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2009, 08:19 PM
DPK

4,594 posts, read 5,727,899 times
I think it depends on what part of the city you are in the drivers you encounter. Venture to the Cameron Village area or well-to-do parts in the beltline where there's a lot of "old money" and be prepared to get stuck behind a slow poke.

The further out you get the more crazy drivers I tend to encounter. Note that it's all relative however. There's a mix of drivers no matter where you go. The one thing I will say though is that we are fast approaching the time of year I hate driving the most. All the nut jobs come out of the wood work to do their holiday errands/shopping. They drive like it's the only time of the year they get behind a vehicle and are prepared to use their cars as battering rams.

Old 11-18-2009, 08:35 PM

6,297 posts, read 16,096,578 times
I used to enjoy driving 540 to RTP for work. I always went 70 (the limit is 65), stayed in the right lane, and it was comfortable. (I once heard a talk from a sheriff's deputy who said the best way to stay alive on the road was to keep to the right; he said the people who did all the racing and swerving in the other lanes were the ones whose relatives he'd have to meet when those drivers died in accidents. That stayed with me.)

When 540 was opened up from Wendell, the drive became a nightmare -- speeders, tailgaters, etc.

And I'm sure traffic is much worse in cities with higher populations.

Old 11-18-2009, 08:59 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,827,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UVinNJ View Post
This is sad news I always heard such good things about the Raleigh area, it is too bad that is getting so nuts. Well, can you recommend any other sections around the county that are more low key? Thanks
The whole county is expected to DOUBLE in population in the next 20 years or so--do with that info what you will. Do you have a job lined up in Raleigh? If so, live close to your work so you won't have to drive as much. If not, and traffic is a big issue for you, you should move somewhere else altogether.

Old 11-18-2009, 09:08 PM

392 posts, read 1,095,726 times
Say what? You want to see aggressive drivers? Try Southern Florida. Half the drivers are too old to be on the road and the other half long ago snapped dealing with them and are on permanent aggressive mode.

In the Triangle, I have not seen that many, just a random fool every once in a while.

Old 11-18-2009, 09:28 PM

346 posts, read 613,142 times
I have a solution...buy an ex police car and drive that around...you'll get respect...BTDT

Old 11-19-2009, 04:34 AM

1,310 posts, read 2,939,819 times
Is it even legal to use your turn signal here? Probably not. And stop lights or stop signs are suggestions; talking/texting on your cell phone while driving is required; driving in the far left lane on 540 is mandatory and don't try to cross at a cross walk with a stop sign (yeah, I'm talking to you lady....the one who was aiming for us at Brier Creek).
All that is needed is a little common courtesy and the lack of it is very apparent. Guess it's that entitled attitude people have here? I've lived in a lot of places but have never experienced such selfishness as I have in this area.

Old 11-19-2009, 04:35 AM

8,159 posts, read 10,929,869 times
I don't know where all the sorry drivers are coming from, but I have noticed that most are young and with a cell phone stuck in their ear. I better stop right there before I get myself in trouble

Old 11-19-2009, 05:10 AM

346 posts, read 613,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by h2ohzrd View Post
Is it even legal to use your turn signal here? Probably not. And stop lights or stop signs are suggestions; talking/texting on your cell phone while driving is required; driving in the far left lane on 540 is mandatory and don't try to cross at a cross walk with a stop sign (yeah, I'm talking to you lady....the one who was aiming for us at Brier Creek).
All that is needed is a little common courtesy and the lack of it is very apparent. Guess it's that entitled attitude people have here? I've lived in a lot of places but have never experienced such selfishness as I have in this area.
Gee sounds like NJ...

Old 11-19-2009, 05:16 AM

43,284 posts, read 77,115,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Raleigh_Guy View Post
I bet you could do a search on city data and find a post just like this on every state and metro forum.

Bad drivers live everywhere.
YessireeBob!

A little piece of wisdom from NRG.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary