Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-08-2012, 07:28 AM

60 posts, read 113,439 times

Advertisements

Nvm - did some research - looks like this is illegal. Still bugs me!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2012, 07:28 AM

399 posts, read 704,967 times
From what I heard, now this is just hearsay but it IS illegal. I know someone who does it and tried to explain the dangers but they won't listen. When they have an accident they will find out. I pray they don't kill someone when it happens.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Th3Numb3rs View Post
Anybody else notice this??? I've only been in the Triangle area for a little over a year, but I had NEVER seen people do this before, and it drives me absolutely bonkers. I'll assume its not illegal to drive with headphones in - just idiotic. What a dangerous thing to do.

Old 08-08-2012, 07:35 AM

4,598 posts, read 10,150,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaylee11 View Post
From what I heard, now this is just hearsay but it IS illegal. I know someone who does it and tried to explain the dangers but they won't listen. When they have an accident they will find out. I pray they don't kill someone when it happens.
Is there something wrong with their car speakers?

Old 08-08-2012, 07:36 AM

399 posts, read 704,967 times
No they just want to listen to their ipod instead of the radio and don't want to go through the hassle of hooking it up. Really weird.

Old 08-08-2012, 08:13 AM

28 posts, read 43,378 times
some of those earbuds have a mic on em, so you can use it as a handsfree for your phone

Old 08-08-2012, 08:36 AM

843 posts, read 2,099,721 times
My thoughts exactly, hands free phone calls. I sometimes do this. One ear bud, not two. I always keep the window side ear free in case I need to hear something.
But whats really the difference if I crank my stereo and cant hear you, or have earbuds on?

People always have a problem with what other people are doing in their cars. You cant control others...so just drive defensively like the rest of us. Everybody does something distracting at some point while driving.....

My pet peeve is people who drive with pets on their laps.... but what can you do? I just avoid them and mind my own business...

Old 08-08-2012, 08:42 AM

82 posts, read 176,177 times
It used to be rare thing to witness, but It definitely seems to be getting worse. I see at least one person a week driving with headphones on, but one I saw last week really blows my mind. I was on my way to work and was coming through downtown Raleigh and saw a car behind me repeatedly driving over the line and into the adjacent lane. Once I saw that I attempted to keep a safe distance away, but at the next stoplight the car changed lanes (at the very last second) from behind me and pulled alongside. I looked over to see a 20-something guy with both hands resting at the 12 o'clock position on the steering wheel but he was holding his phone in the landscape orientation and was watching some sort of video with huge over-the-ear type headphones on! Since I always have a camera in the car, I fumbled in the glove compartment to grab my point and shoot to snap a pic of this future Darwin award winner, but the light changed before I could get to it, and he sped off happily watching his video. All I could do was shake my head in disbelief and hope he didn't kill someone.

Old 08-08-2012, 08:59 AM

34,938 posts, read 36,231,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evaofnc View Post
haha yeah if some of those drivers had their way you'd launch yourself into the creek at the bottom of that hill.
Whatever it takes to let a faster driver through, eva. Whatever it takes.

Old 08-08-2012, 09:11 AM

34,088 posts, read 82,920,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meh_whatever View Post
Didn't everyone relocate for that "slower pace of living" or was it just the cheap real estate and clean air?
You're discounting the NASCAR effect on driving habits.
(hint: it's not a GoodThing)

Old 08-08-2012, 09:31 AM

1,733 posts, read 2,420,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meh_whatever View Post
Unless it severely impedes your ability to use a public roadway. As much as I don't care for driving more than 10 over? I'm not real fond of 10 under for miles at a stretch just so some hothead can leave a fire trail at 20 over the limit.

Didn't everyone relocate for that "slower pace of living" or was it just the cheap real estate and clean air?

Cheap real estate lol. I'm moving to Raleigh because your sales prices are higher than mine. Our average sales price in my county is less than $90,000. However our values have gone up about 20%, so they were quite a bit lower in 2008-2009. I cringe when I look at some markets in California with an average sales price above $500,000.

I don't drive more than 5 over usually. I do find it annoying when people just sit in the left lane going 5 under for miles and miles.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary