Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-23-2012, 05:53 PM

8,159 posts, read 10,929,869 times

Advertisements

I noticed a car driving rather carelessly on Glenwood Ave. tonight at Crabtree. When I pulled up to the car at the light I saw that the girl was smoking, texting, eating a cup of yogurt and driving all at the same time
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2012, 08:09 AM

2,464 posts, read 4,166,601 times
You sure she was driving? maybe she had the cruise control set and letting it do all the work?

I still see people looking down, messing with their phones, EVERY single day while driving around Raleigh. And 9/10 times, when there's a car going slower than traffic in the middle lane of 540, it's someone who has devoted about 80% of their attention to their phone, and has forgotten about the whole "driving" nonsense. I really wish the penalties were more severe! 6 months without a license is a good starting point!

Old 08-24-2012, 11:58 AM

8 posts, read 35,938 times
I know this topic is about aggressive drivers but I just wanted to say drivers should not always be blamed for accidents. I see lot of people who walk/cross the road as if they are in their backyard or on the sidewalk. They would be so casual, lazy and irresponsible and think they have the right of way ALWAYS and blame the drivers if they don't stop or slowdown. They don't realize unless there is a cross-walk they do NOT have the right of way. It is the pedestrians' responsibility to watch for vehicles if they are crossing the road when there is no cross-walk or stop signs etc

Old 08-28-2012, 09:27 PM

1,022 posts, read 1,255,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBigKahunaNC View Post
A peeve of mine is people who fly through parking lots.
I don't get that either. How much time are you going to win, really?

Old 08-30-2012, 08:46 AM

40 posts, read 81,708 times
We just moved here from PA about a month ago. My hubby is from NY and I am from Chicago originally. We are parents so we are pretty thoughtful, cautious drivers. No place on earth is perfect, the Triangle coming close.....except for those
aggressive, obnoxious drivers!! My guess is that they are mostly kids or transplants from the bigger cities. We just got our NC licenses and we know this is NOT how to deal with tailgating......however, my husband and I started driving extra slow when one of these jerks gets too close behind us. We don't do it when our kids in the car, but when alone. These people need to suffer some consequences for their actions!!!!

Old 08-30-2012, 09:21 AM

1,733 posts, read 2,422,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by susannerk View Post
We just moved here from PA about a month ago. My hubby is from NY and I am from Chicago originally. We are parents so we are pretty thoughtful, cautious drivers. No place on earth is perfect, the Triangle coming close.....except for those
aggressive, obnoxious drivers!! My guess is that they are mostly kids or transplants from the bigger cities. We just got our NC licenses and we know this is NOT how to deal with tailgating......however, my husband and I started driving extra slow when one of these jerks gets too close behind us. We don't do it when our kids in the car, but when alone. These people need to suffer some consequences for their actions!!!!
Depending on your car and the speed you're traveling, if you turn on your windshield sprayers it should get their windshield wet too. Not that I condone this type of behavior, but it lets people know they are following too close. Driving slower is only going to make them more mad and cause them to tailgate you more. By spraying your windshield most people will just think you are trying to clear it. I hate tailgaters with a passion.

Old 08-30-2012, 11:39 AM

2,464 posts, read 4,166,601 times
^ Tailgating is my biggest "bad driver" pet peeve. Unfortunately, I encounter it almost daily. It REALLY makes me angry when I'm on the motorcycle!

Old 08-30-2012, 11:58 AM

384 posts, read 596,120 times
I bet if you spent 100 hours looking at posts from every city in North America you would not find one that praises the local drives.

Old 08-30-2012, 09:44 PM

1,036 posts, read 1,953,566 times
The crazy thing is when someone's right on your tail and there's a car in front of you, limiting your speed. I'm not sure what's to be gained by riding my bumper, unless the driver behind me isn't clear on that whole two-objects-can't-occupy-the-same-space-at-the-same-time thing.

Old 08-31-2012, 04:10 PM

59 posts, read 52,246 times
ok, i spent the last week driving all around Raleigh/Durham (about 500 miles locally). Aggressive driving is all relative as another poster pointed out. Rome and Riyadh and others are much more aggressive than anything I've seen here in his country. Aggressive driving is an unfortunate outcome of the a function of the number of cars on the road and the sense of importance regarding time. Unfortunately areas like this and NoVA do not develop driving cultures because of all of the transients. Cities like Boston and Philly and Rome are much more homogeneous in their driving habits, even if they are aggressive. I would rather know what somebody is going to do rather than have somebody perform random acts.
On a global scale of 10, this area is probably a 2, maybe a three. I saw perhaps one incident of aggressive driving in this area during the week and I would have probably observed 10 in NoVA, where I reside.

I will say that I believe traffic in this area is going to get much worse. the roads are able to handle the traffic so far, but at the rate of new residents, I will give this area 3-5 years before you find traffic like I'm used to seeing. More roads and more lanes are not likely to work, IMO. More lanes and more roads are not likely to work, IMO. If you can keep local traffic local, then you might have a chance. Do local folks see legislative intent to build 'smart'?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary