Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2009, 08:00 AM

621 posts, read 2,217,901 times

Advertisements

Driving in Raleigh is VERY laid back... but I guess it's all relative to where you moved here from.. given that I came from S. FL, I've been conditioned to not get too angry when someone cuts me off--it RARELY happens here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2009, 08:18 AM

10,728 posts, read 22,813,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poggly Woggly View Post
I don't know where all the sorry drivers are coming from, but I have noticed that most are young and with a cell phone stuck in their ear.
Or "not so young" with a cell phone stuck in their ear. Welcome to the 21st Century.

Old 11-19-2009, 09:01 AM

3,305 posts, read 8,555,882 times
I just want to make a point about turn signals not being used as much here. I think that has less to do with the transplants to our area. Aggressive driving is everywhere and certainly bad in the northeast, but from my perspective more people use their turn signals in the mid-atlantic/northeast than do here.

I won't say it's a southern thing and I would want to say it's a "rural thing", but I know that's not necessarily the case either, as my wife grew up in a small southern VA town and everyone there seems to use their blinkers.

I had this experience when I first moved to the coast of NC back in 1996. No one used their turn signals in the morehead city area either. Maybe it's not preached as much in drivers ed in NC, or people just quickly forget?

Old 11-19-2009, 09:06 AM

6,297 posts, read 16,089,036 times
I agree about the blinkers. When I first moved down here in 1993, I'd see someone use a blinker, and I'd point out the driver to my Southern husband and say, "Look! There's a Yankee!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waterboy526 View Post
I just want to make a point about turn signals not being used as much here. I think that has less to do with the transplants to our area. Aggressive driving is everywhere and certainly bad in the northeast, but from my perspective more people use their turn signals in the mid-atlantic/northeast than do here.

I won't say it's a southern thing and I would want to say it's a "rural thing", but I know that's not necessarily the case either, as my wife grew up in a small southern VA town and everyone there seems to use their blinkers.

I had this experience when I first moved to the coast of NC back in 1996. No one used their turn signals in the morehead city area either. Maybe it's not preached as much in drivers ed in NC, or people just quickly forget?

Old 11-19-2009, 09:11 AM

2,459 posts, read 8,075,006 times
I've always believed the lack of signaling here dates back to the light traffic densities of the 1960s. Sort of a legacy thing.

Frank

Old 11-19-2009, 09:12 AM

1,751 posts, read 3,686,955 times
Okay, my experience isn't scientific, but:
I lived in the DC area for quite some time and still drive there frequently to visit family. When we first moved there in 1985 it was terrifying...but over time I have noticed that drivers are much less hostile than they used to be. More of a 'We're all in this together' attitude. Don't get me wrong, traffic is still heavy, but you learn to time your driving according to rush hour.

While visiting the Triangle, (one week in the summer) I did not observe one single instance of aggressive driving. I sat in a bit of traffic, and rode around with the slowest real estate agent in the world. But nothing rude or scary.

I think most human anxiety about driving is in direct proportion to our familiarity with the road and our route. I never go anywhere unfamiliar without my GPS!

The worst drivers I've ever encountered were in Miami. Absolutely terrifying.

Old 11-19-2009, 09:46 AM

1,335 posts, read 3,148,457 times
this topic comes up often, and I posted an anecdotal story long ago. The jist of it is that driving issues in our community stem from the fact that we are a bunch of transplants here. NY has it's style, and it's predictable. Boston has it's style and it's predictable. LA has it's style, and so on....

But here, you don't know where the other driver might be from, and therefore their style is not predictable.

Regarding the turn signal discussion, I used to have a room mate from Chicago. He felt that the reason that NASCAR started in NC is because all the old farts riding around with their left turn signal on. Eventually they started turning at every intersection, and before you knew it, we had circuit racing, all left turns..... Ha!

I travel a lot, and driving is somewhat unpredictable here, but the "traffic" is nothing compared to most other places (Houston, LA, DC, Chicago or the entire North East are all WAY worse!)

Old 11-19-2009, 10:03 AM

675 posts, read 1,832,554 times
In my driving experience in NY and Boston the left lane is always used for passing/speedier traffic. Not so here. I'm not sure what mean, nasty, evil transplants brought the 5-MPH-below-the-speed-limit-in-the-left-lane habit here, but I promise you they didn't come from the northeast.

Old 11-19-2009, 10:15 AM

451 posts, read 1,157,017 times
I love how everything in Raleigh and NC is blamed on people from NY/NJ.

Too many speeders? Blame it on NJ!
Rains too much? Darn people from NY!
Can't find a good pizza place? You must be a snob from NJ!

It's pretty tiresome and old and is perpetuated by the same people over and over again.

Old 11-19-2009, 10:19 AM

351 posts, read 770,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovebrentwood View Post
Hmm. What has changed? Hmm. Maybe it's everyone who has moved here from where drivers tailgate, cut people off, speed, and don't use blinkers?
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovebrentwood View Post
I used to enjoy driving 540 to RTP for work. I always went 70 (the limit is 65)...

When 540 was opened up from Wendell, the drive became a nightmare -- speeders, tailgaters, etc.

Hmmm. It sounds like the natives are admittedly speeders, tailgaters, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary