Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-16-2016, 12:15 PM

6,650 posts, read 5,557,724 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaucyAussie View Post
30 an hour??? Dang, try more like 30 every 5 minutes at the intersections I mentioned.

Keep in mind it is not just the right turners inconvenienced by the lack of a turning lane. The right turners take up space in the through lane, causing less cars to be able go straight through the intersection.
No comment - I didn't design the intersections you're talking about But there could well be right-of-way restrictions at the intersections that could prevent the addition of a right turn lane.

That is a good point about the cars turning right (and cars turn slower than cars going through the intersection) but that's usually the point of having any additional thru lanes, to reduce the impact of that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2016, 12:28 PM

703 posts, read 777,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StAndroid View Post
What gets me is that people expect that EVERYONE who is waiting at a light should get through in one green cycle. But that's not the intent of traffic signals. If there's lots of traffic, and you're far enough back and there's lots of cars you just might have to wait through 2 cycles. Maybe even 3 before you make it. Traffic signals are about controlling the FLOW of traffic, and that's exactly what they do.

I see complaints about this all. the. time. over on SeeClickFix and it kills me every time someone posts that a "signal timing is off because I had to wait through 3 cycles to get through the intersection." At least most of the time they're not taken too seriously and they just make sure the signal is functioning as intended and leave it at that.

My expectation isn't that EVERYONE makes it through a light in one cycle... but that shouldn't be an excuse for the blatant inattentiveness on the part of many drivers who are busy texting or doing who knows what, and making folks behind them miss the light that they should have been able to get through easily.

I think part of the problem (as someone else earlier had complained) is that at some intersections, the light cycle is so long that folks have too much time on their hands and begin to occupy their time in other ways...

Old 03-16-2016, 01:13 PM

3,050 posts, read 4,983,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thr3stripe View Post
My expectation isn't that EVERYONE makes it through a light in one cycle... but that shouldn't be an excuse for the blatant inattentiveness on the part of many drivers who are busy texting or doing who knows what, and making folks behind them miss the light that they should have been able to get through easily.

I think part of the problem (as someone else earlier had complained) is that at some intersections, the light cycle is so long that folks have too much time on their hands and begin to occupy their time in other ways...

People are so averse to honking here. In NY, if you take the time to make sure the cross traffic has stopped, guy behind you leans on his horn. Here, people will gladly sit through enough another round of lights rather than be "rude" and honking.

I like the almost polite sounding light double tap on the horn - bup bup! I actually think people appreciate being woken up.

Old 03-16-2016, 01:18 PM

6,809 posts, read 9,017,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaucyAussie View Post
People are so averse to honking here. In NY, if you take the time to make sure the cross traffic has stopped, guy behind you leans on his horn. Here, people will gladly sit through enough another round of lights rather than be "rude" and honking.

I like the almost polite sounding light double tap on the horn - bup bup! I actually think people appreciate being woken up.
I will double honk. I try to be patient at lights, because I'm sometimes the person getting honked at. Sometimes you over estimate how long the red is and you're on your phone.

Old 03-16-2016, 02:18 PM

7,183 posts, read 6,763,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zitsky View Post
I will double honk. I try to be patient at lights, because I'm sometimes the person getting honked at. Sometimes you over estimate how long the red is and you're on your phone.
I did that once when a woman in front of me just kept sitting there after the light turned green. She then looked up at her rearview mirror at me, gave me the middle finger and took off like her ass was on fire. What a sweetheart...

Old 03-16-2016, 03:00 PM

3,644 posts, read 8,561,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zitsky View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by LM117 View Post
I did that once when a woman in front of me just kept sitting there after the light turned green. She then looked up at her rearview mirror at me, gave me the middle finger and took off like her ass was on fire. What a sweetheart...
Most people consider me rude but those who know me call it honesty. I don't give a "polite" beep-beep. I will wait 3 seconds after the light turns green, which in my opinion is more than enough time to move your foot from the brake to the accelerator pedal, before I lay on the horn until the driver in front starts to move.

Here's my reasoning for such an assertive, or as some call rude horn honk: I used to give a "polite" double tap of the horn. But that led to the driver in front looking up from usually the phone, looking into the rear view mirror to see if it's a friend behind them so they can wave, realizing it's not then getting upset someone had the audacity to honk at them, flipping the honking driver the bird, then finally moving away from the light.

Now, with the steady horn, the same process transpires except the driver already knows it's not their friend behind them so an entire step is eliminated thus improving the speed of the process. Ha!

Old 03-16-2016, 03:11 PM

7,183 posts, read 6,763,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by underPSI View Post
Now, with the steady horn, the same process transpires except the driver already knows it's not their friend behind them so an entire step is eliminated thus improving the speed of the process. Ha!
Yeah, my "double-tap" routine went out the window as soon as the little "birdie" flew in. Apparently, wanting to go on a green makes me an @sshole.

Old 03-16-2016, 03:49 PM

2,818 posts, read 1,542,585 times
Default Disagree.

Quote:
Originally Posted by m378 View Post
Nope. Population. The same issues would exist with an equal population that consisted entirely of natives. Increased volume on roads increases aggressive driving.

Driving in Boston or NY isn't insane because it's the north, it's because the populations are high.
I've been driving in Boston for a long time; doesn't matter how many people are on the road. The guy in the right lane wants to take a left turn, he'll do it, no question. People also regularly drive 20 miles over the speed limit, except during rush hour. Driving in Raleigh, on the other hand, makes me feel like I'm in Pleasantville, which is not necessarily a bad thing. BIG difference, believe me.

Old 03-16-2016, 03:59 PM

3,644 posts, read 8,561,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LM117 View Post
Yeah, my "double-tap" routine went out the window as soon as the little "birdie" flew in. Apparently, wanting to go on a green makes me an @sshole.
Yeah it does. Me, too. You gotta understand. You are disturbing them. It's their world and everyone else needs to wait!

Old 03-16-2016, 04:34 PM

230 posts, read 254,601 times
This is a really entertaining thread. I feel like we could talk about driving-related topics for years.

Does anyone ever think Six Forks North will be widened? Seems like this area needs widening more than the other end.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary