Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-16-2016, 05:07 PM

6,653 posts, read 5,579,409 times

Advertisements

Another driving-related topic: left turns going onto interstate ramps.......there are sometimes 2 left turn lanes and then you're supposed to merge on the ramp so more cars get through the signal and onto the ramp. However, nobody ever uses that merging lane to turn left even if the other lane is full.........It's really not that hard - I take advantage of it all the time and never have had a problem finding a gap in traffic after making the turn (maybe because of distracted drivers on their cell phone haha)

I think Six Forks will be eventually widened. The proposed design with the green median islands look good in my opinion - it's a good compromise between moving more cars and making it more friendly for transit/bike/ped opportunities. But that's just me. Obviously some citizens in that area and the city council aren't warming up to it just yet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2016, 05:30 PM

1,236 posts, read 1,398,184 times
Go to Atlanta. Then talk to me about drivers.

Old 03-18-2016, 08:16 AM

3,644 posts, read 8,575,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fscottfitz View Post
Does anyone ever think Six Forks North will be widened? Seems like this area needs widening more than the other end.
I just read a few days ago Six Forks rd will be widened to 6-lane from North Hills to Lynn rd, I believe.

Old 03-18-2016, 09:05 AM

230 posts, read 255,413 times
Yes, I've heard all about the widening in that area. I'm talking about the other end of Six Forks, after 540, where it decreases to a 2 lane road. It took me 30 mins to get to my parents house in rush hour traffic the other day, normally a 10 minute drive and a straight shot down Six Forks.

Old 03-18-2016, 10:19 AM

1,279 posts, read 1,721,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by m378 View Post
Nope. Population. The same issues would exist with an equal population that consisted entirely of natives. Increased volume on roads increases aggressive driving.

Driving in Boston or NY isn't insane because it's the north, it's because the populations are high.
Driving in Atlanta is less insane than driving in Baltimore, and metro Atlanta is over twice the size of metro Baltimore.

I imagine driving in Atlanta is less insane than driving in Boston (only heard of it, never been), and metro Boston is smaller than metro Atlanta by nearly a million people.

There is a geographical/cultural aspect to the impatience, and it extends beyond driving.

Old 03-18-2016, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fscottfitz View Post
Yes, I've heard all about the widening in that area. I'm talking about the other end of Six Forks, after 540, where it decreases to a 2 lane road. It took me 30 mins to get to my parents house in rush hour traffic the other day, normally a 10 minute drive and a straight shot down Six Forks.
Even if they were to only widen it up to the area around where Durant ends, that would be a huge improvement.

Old 03-18-2016, 11:03 AM

3,050 posts, read 4,991,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by papilgee4evaeva View Post
Driving in Atlanta is less insane than driving in Baltimore, and metro Atlanta is over twice the size of metro Baltimore.

I imagine driving in Atlanta is less insane than driving in Boston (only heard of it, never been), and metro Boston is smaller than metro Atlanta by nearly a million people.

There is a geographical/cultural aspect to the impatience, and it extends beyond driving.

I think when people are talking about volume on roads they are referring to the amount of people crammed into a small area affecting traffic habits.

Population Density per sq mi:
NYC - 27,857
Boston - 13,340
Baltimore - 7,671
Atlanta - 3,360
Raleigh - 3,023

Old 03-18-2016, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaucyAussie View Post
I think when people are talking about volume on roads they are referring to the amount of people crammed into a small area affecting traffic habits.

Population Density per sq mi:
NYC - 27,857
Boston - 13,340
Baltimore - 7,671
Atlanta - 3,360
Raleigh - 3,023
Well, the poster's main point was "population," not "density." I took him at his word.

Old 03-18-2016, 11:17 AM

6,653 posts, read 5,579,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by papilgee4evaeva View Post
Even if they were to only widen it up to the area around where Durant ends, that would be a huge improvement.
In the Wake County transportation plan, they show Six Forks as a 5 lane section from 540 to Durant Road

Page 4-13 and 4-14: http://www.wakegov.com/planning/tran...ion%20Plan.pdf

Old 03-18-2016, 11:52 AM

230 posts, read 255,413 times
City-Data still won't let me add to your rep points, Pierre! Thank you for sharing. You're always so helpful. I wonder how long it might take for that plan to become finalized and put into action.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary