Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-30-2009, 05:28 PM

346 posts, read 613,142 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois View Post
If you move to Raleigh, you won't be driving on the "Beltway", for sure--that's around DC. Our road is called the Beltline.
Ah yes semantics...but you knew what I meant...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2012, 03:27 PM

47 posts, read 92,148 times
I've lived in Detroit, Atlanta, Cleveland, and Memphis. They'll shoot you for going to slow in those places, but my car's suffered more damage in a year in Raleigh than 10 years in the previous places. There is some kind of collective cognitive disconnect regarding space here. I've been rearended twice, and just watching idiots sideways park their SUVS makes me nervous. Don't even ask how many times my mirrors have been knocked off at Cary Towne Plaza.

In Detroit, you might very well die in a drive-by. Here, you'll just get the **** dinged out of your car.

Old 05-09-2012, 03:58 PM

5,743 posts, read 17,602,968 times
Warning! 2 1/2 year old thread revived by a newbie.

Old 05-09-2012, 06:14 PM

3,644 posts, read 8,580,857 times
That's okay. This thread needs to stay near the top as a reminder of how bad of drivers we've become.

Old 05-09-2012, 07:24 PM

137 posts, read 241,695 times
Bottom line in this area... is that you have to create a space for yourself...I travel 40 on the daily commute.. and to me the safety is what is in front of me...I build a gap of 2- or so car lengths between me and the piece of steel in front of me. I normally camp the right-hand slow lane being that I only commute 2 exits... while the other 3 left lanes play roulette. When someone cuts into my 1.5 car "frontal safety zone" I get extremely pissed. I am one of the most alert and safe drivers you will ever come across.. as opposed to so many of the Alprazolam eating mother farquars who endanger the majority of the populous...switching lanes in their busted ass domestics... and high dollar German engineering. Bottom line is.... I have to watch out for your dumb "entitled" asses...... and I swear the day you wreck me....IF I am not injured...and I do not lose my temper first.....My daily dash-Cam will prove in court... why you owe me hundreds of thousands of dollars. Your kid's might have to pay me. And they will

Old 05-09-2012, 07:51 PM

1,277 posts, read 3,548,381 times
Call out for a nice THANK YOU to the person who let me in today -- I was diverted onto a road I rarely travel on b/c of an accident on 540/40 interchange -- and ended up in a turn only lane on a back road.

So -- I was doing one of those egg-head things driving up in a left lane only to find out it was left-turn only lane which made me have to blink to cut over to the right lane. The person who let me in didn't tailgate, flash, or otherwise indicate to me how annoyed they were -- they were a true southern-kindly driver who was kind enough to let me in and then stayed off my tail.

THANK YOU!

Much appreciated even though you probably drive that road every day and have egg-heads all the time. I truly didn't know!! So I appreciated the patience.

Just had to share this on a 'bad driver' thread since it got revived. They really aren't all that terrible....give 'em a chance!

Old 05-09-2012, 08:02 PM

4,598 posts, read 10,155,524 times
What kills me is that I use my cruise control on the highway. So I'm not changing speed. And every day without fail I'll either end up with someone next to me in the passing lane speeding up and slowing down constantly, so no one can get past them. Or I'll have the knucklehead who will start tailgating me, despite me going over the speed limit, then they'll pass me only to cut in front of me and slow down to slower than my speed. It's like they want to get in an accident.

Old 05-10-2012, 12:03 AM

242 posts, read 594,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Raleigh_Guy View Post
I bet you could do a search on city data and find a post just like this on every state and metro forum.

Bad drivers live everywhere.
I totally agree.

Old 05-10-2012, 12:19 AM

3,353 posts, read 6,441,085 times
I can't speak for Raleigh drivers but Durham has the absolute worst drivers I've ever seen. It literally scared me to drive with these people because they either can't drive (they'll swerv into your lane with no turning signal then hit their brakes) or those who just don't give a damn about your life (I don't know the highway name but I was heading towards Downtown Durham and the lane was ending so I was expecting the guy beside me to either speed up or slow down so I could get over but he failed to do that because whatever he was drinking was too good).

Old 05-10-2012, 04:46 AM

1,310 posts, read 2,939,819 times
A shout out to the lady who was in the far right lane on I-40 and decided to cut me off since she wanted to be in the middle lane. Thanks for not using your turn signal and a double thank you for not even looking to see if a car was in that lane.

Another to the lady who turned left into my lane while I was turning right onto the same lane (again, no turn signal), then acted as if I was at fault. I guess right-of-way isn't a concern here?

Another to the two drivers (BMW, Mercedes) who felt they were entitled to drive as fast as they wanted, got right on my tail and then vented (at me and others) that traffic has slowed them down. My sympathies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary