Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2007, 08:20 PM

189 posts, read 797,195 times

Advertisements

Our family loves to camp together in our RV. We were wondering if anyone else out there has any recommendations when it comes to camping? Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2007, 05:45 AM

5,743 posts, read 17,600,206 times
In an RV? That ain't campin'

My wife and I love to camp, but all of our camping equipment is packed away in moving boxes in our storage shed. Once we get unpacked, which will hopefully be by the end of June, then we can plan a camping trip.

How far do you want to drive? Locally there are some campgrounds at Falls Lake and Lake Jordan. One of my coworkers has an RV and he regularly spends the weekend up at Kerr Lake.

If you want to drive farther, I'd recommend the western side of the state, in the Smokey Mountains.

Old 05-15-2007, 07:22 AM

583 posts, read 2,802,793 times
We just bought a camper & we're heading to the beach next Monday, & can't wait!

I'd started another thread searching for campgrounds in NC on here (//www.city-data.com/forum/north...rounds-nc.html) and someone posted this link (http://rvparkreviews.com), which is great! It'll give you reviews from other campers & a quick run down of amenities.

Old 05-15-2007, 07:50 AM

1,994 posts, read 5,961,964 times
Please go to the beach, so we won't be stuck behind you in the mountains :-).

The outerbanks are the best beaches in the state, and have the most camping available due to their largely undeveloped state. In western NC in the Bryson city area has numerous campgrounds with easy access to rafting (tuckaseegee is great for small kids, nantahala for older ones and ocoee for teenagers), hiking (Joyce Kilmer National Wilderness is unparalleled, only remaining old growth forest on east coast, about 2 miles of easy trails and hundreds of backcountry), smoky mountain railroad for kids. We're partial to Turkey Creek campground, but we use tents (I think they have RV hookups). I know there's hookups at Smoky Mountain Meadows.

Old 05-15-2007, 10:03 AM

607 posts, read 2,430,989 times
My husband and I camp all the time here in CA, one of the things we are most looking forward to is camping in NC. Where there are actual trees, and water!! Maybe we can get a weekend camping trip together, or even start a camping club. We belong to one here in CA, and I have looked for one in the Raleigh area, but no luck.
Well lets think about it.

Liz

Old 05-15-2007, 03:24 PM

35 posts, read 115,555 times
We camp at Jordan Lake! It's beautiful!

Old 05-15-2007, 03:27 PM

607 posts, read 2,430,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDN2DABCH View Post
We camp at Jordan Lake! It's beautiful!
Do you take a boat out there when you camp???

We have looked over the campsites when we have gone to visit Raleigh, but never gone to look at where the boat ramps are???

Liz

Old 05-16-2007, 08:25 PM

Does anyone know about camping on the beach or at the lake? Thanks

Old 05-16-2007, 10:01 PM

1,994 posts, read 5,961,964 times
When you say camping on the beach, do you mean near the beach or actually on it? In a tent or in your RV?

The only places I know of that you can camp on the beach are the uninhabited barrier islands. The core banks, shackleford banks, the island south of topsail and Masonboro island are the ones I know of. You can get a ferry ride to the core banks and shackleford, need a private boat for the other two (also are readily doable by sea kayak, just be careful with tides). I know there are also camp sites (and a ferry) on Hammocks beach state park (island south of Emerald), but I think those are sound side, not sure.

The camping within walking distance of the beach that I know of is on the outer banks, specifically just north of Oregon inslet, at the lighthouse, Frisco and Ocracoke. Its not on the beach, but just over the dunes. Camping on the beaches is illegal, but if you have a 4wd and a fishing pole you can sleep in/by your truck as long as your line is in the water.

Old 05-19-2007, 11:54 AM

On Long Island we can literally drive our 4 wheel drive vehicle with RV on the beach in a designated camping area. They do not allow pitch tents and will only allow contained trailers. Some of these RV's are amazing with slideouts, washer & dryers, granite and fireplaces. Camping isn't what it used to be. We have a travel trailer that is on the newer side (2 years) and it is our home away from home and the kids love it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary