Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-19-2009, 08:28 PM

1,561 posts, read 5,159,097 times

Advertisements

this place could easily be lost in the strip mall next to the chinese place and hardees, but apparently is one of the best restaurants in the area.

we had a $65pp wine dinner to celebrate beaujolais nouveau day there tonight, and i had never driven by or been there or heard of the place. but wow was the a fun time. really wonderful, authentic french food, great service, great crowd, great atmosphere. it was just such a great time. but the fact that it seemed to be this completely randomly located, hidden place made it all the more interesting.

do you guys know about this place and just haven't told me or what?
shame on you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2009, 07:46 AM

355 posts, read 958,110 times
I went there for a Valentine's dinner and thought it was terrible. For around $60 a person, they served up convention center style salmon and chicken with steamed vegetables. It was the worst dining experience I had in the area.

But oddly, a lot of people rave about it, so I'm a little perplexed. Maybe that was just a really off night - or maybe they figured they could phone it in for the Valentine's crowd. So I too am wondering what other people think, and if it's worth a second look.

Old 11-20-2009, 08:10 AM

3,501 posts, read 6,166,988 times
I've recommended several times in various threads here before. We love St. Jacques!

ETA: NEVER judge a restaurant by their Valentine's Day or Thanksgiving food & service. Everyone knows it won't be up to normal standards, simply because of the massive crowds and need to move people.

Old 11-20-2009, 08:15 AM

122 posts, read 431,813 times
Default Absolutely!!!

The food and service are outstanding! We live in Cary and drive to North Raleigh to enjoy S. Jacques.

Old 11-20-2009, 08:45 AM

532 posts, read 2,845,403 times
We dine there regularly and have attended the special event dinners such as Bastille Day. Ordering off the menu on a non-event night is the best otherwise it is like so many other events - it's like banquet food. It's difficult for a restaurant to serve a room of 60 the same meal at the same time. Likewise, I do not go to hotel restaurants - it's like dining at someone's wedding reception or on a cruise.

Old 11-20-2009, 09:19 AM

355 posts, read 958,110 times
Yeah, I know that Valentine's Day is a bad move and I understand the pressure a high volume night can put on the kitchen, but at the same time, I'm still kind of irked. I may not expect the same level in the food, and I can excuse service hicups, but sheesh, do you have to completely water it down? And, I have been to places manage to pull it off. It's kind of disrespectful and it turns off a lot of people that could potentially become regulars. If you can't do a Valentine's Day or special event dinner, maybe you shouldn't do it at all.

Old 11-20-2009, 09:38 AM

2,932 posts, read 7,825,031 times
I used to go there when it was under different owners. It was called Jean-Claude's and I loved it. I haven't been since the name change, but it looks like they haven't skipped a beat!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary