Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2011, 12:16 PM

2,135 posts, read 7,656,638 times

Advertisements

I'm sorry this man has lung cancer. But why is he so bitter? The house had problems before the road was ever widened. It was on the book for years that lanes were going to be added. Buyer beware!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2011, 01:40 PM

2,006 posts, read 3,583,957 times
Cary has already admitted there is a problem by offering to put a fix in place. But the fix will remove more of the guys yard. That is why he is pushing to just get bought out. Eventually the erosion will get to the point where it's provable in court and Cary will end up paying.

There have been other thread on this forum discussing run off issues and it always comes down to your neighbor may not alter the land to force more drainage on your property. Well apply that logic to this situation.

Some of you posters get SO caught up in irrelevant issues, like the car he drives, how he cares for his home, the signs ect. None of that matters. Look at the issue and don't get side tracked.

Old 02-26-2011, 01:59 PM

18,082 posts, read 15,664,302 times
Quote:
Look at the issue and don't get side tracked.
The issue as I see it is that he purchased a home on Maynard Rd, a busy/main thoroughfare through & around Cary. He could have and should have known that there was the possibility of the road being altered at some point after he purchased, and further, it was a project that was not a sudden occurrence--he had at least a couple years.

Did he sell his house when he learned there would be a widening of this road? Nope.

Did he allow the Town of Cary to work on the drainage issues as they requested? Nope

Did that home already have some drainage problems before the Maynard Rd widening project? Yep.

Did he inconvenience his neighbors and create an eyesore for his neighbors by spray painting his home? Yep.

I'm not seeing where the Town of Cary should have purchased his home outright, rather than fix the problem, as they offered.

Old 02-27-2011, 03:18 PM

22,668 posts, read 36,792,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lottamoxie View Post
The issue as I see it is that he purchased a home on Maynard Rd, a busy/main thoroughfare through & around Cary. He could have and should have known that there was the possibility of the road being altered at some point after he purchased, and further, it was a project that was not a sudden occurrence--he had at least a couple years.

Well said.

Old 01-22-2013, 08:14 PM

43,284 posts, read 77,104,102 times
Default Cary 1, ACLU 0. Decision to Cary

Cary wins appeal in sign case against homeowner - Wake County - NewsObserver.com

Apparently NOT stifling free speech is not the same as stifling free speech.

Old 01-22-2013, 08:21 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,253,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
Cary wins appeal in sign case against homeowner - Wake County - NewsObserver.com

Apparently NOT stifling free speech is not the same as stifling free speech.
I never thought his speech was stifled. He left the sign there.

Thing is, he would not have been fined for having a sign that followed the sign ordinance.

I'm all for free speech, and he got plenty of press with that neon orange sign. I dunno. I kinda think the town not paying him EXACTLY what he wanted for his house was the only reason he protested and let the fines pile up.

But, I didn't know the man, so I have no clue what he actually thought.

Old 01-22-2013, 08:36 PM

43,284 posts, read 77,104,102 times
The state ACLU feller made it all sound like a free speech infringement:
"“This ruling affords the government great deference to regulate private political messages they disagree with,” said Chris Brook, legal director of the state ACLU."

Read more here: Cary wins appeal in sign case against homeowner - Wake County - NewsObserver.com

Old 01-22-2013, 09:19 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,253,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
The state ACLU feller made it all sound like a free speech infringement:
"“This ruling affords the government great deference to regulate private political messages they disagree with,” said Chris Brook, legal director of the state ACLU."

Read more here: Cary wins appeal in sign case against homeowner - Wake County - NewsObserver.com
Maybe he should've drawn a big screw and the town of Cary logo and called it an artistic display?

Old 01-23-2013, 07:23 AM
rfb

2,594 posts, read 6,356,001 times
You have to love Cary. It spent approximately $300K in legal fees, received plenty of bad press, and considers this the "cost of doing business". I'm not trying to defend David Bowden, who has passed away, but I'm not sure Cary should be celebrating this "victory", either.

Old 01-23-2013, 07:33 AM

8,269 posts, read 25,106,298 times
I think this was a huge victory for Cary. A town being legally allowed to enforce sign restrictions on private property is a pretty big deal.
I can understand why the TOC pursued it and spent they money they did to set the lehal precedence.

Last edited by lamishra; 01-23-2013 at 08:11 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary