Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
2,500,000 members. Thank you!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2009, 04:06 PM

13,811 posts, read 27,277,822 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by metro.m View Post
I guess never mind the fact Raleigh has more murders than Durham huh?
Using city-data's own info and some other sources to fill in the gaps, 1999-2008 total murders:

Durham: 250 murders Raleigh: 198 murders

Keep in mind Durham is about 2/3 the size of Raleigh as well, so comparing apples to apples they have more murders per less population.

You are correct in saying that Durham did have fewer murders than Raleigh in 2008, however overall taken on average Raleigh has less overall violent crime and is a much larger city.

Quote:
Oh and to the guy who said DT Raleigh is where all the crime is and NE Raleigh is some kind of safe haven. It's funny our police department reports much more crime in Northeast Raleigh than Downtown.
Source? Your statement above is invalid so that makes me think this doesn't have much validity as well. Looking at the interactive crime map on wake gov it certainly appears the downtown area has a lot more crime. I never said NE Raleigh is a "safe haven", I said I feel safe there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2009, 09:30 PM

31,668 posts, read 40,855,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsup View Post
Using city-data's own info and some other sources to fill in the gaps, 1999-2008 total murders:

Keep in mind Durham is about 2/3 the size of Raleigh as well, so comparing apples to apples they have more murders per less population.

You are correct in saying that Durham did have fewer murders than Raleigh in 2008, however overall taken on average Raleigh has less overall violent crime and is a much larger city.

Source? Your statement above is invalid so that makes me think this doesn't have much validity as well. Looking at the interactive crime map on wake gov it certainly appears the downtown area has a lot more crime. I never said NE Raleigh is a "safe haven", I said I feel safe there.
Great data but the question being begged for an answer in this thread is:

Was the noise heard in South Point the last week anything of substance or just loud noise with no substantial impact on the physical well being of someone. I don't say emotional because folks are folks. You are talking about real events and I am still trying to figure out if this thread started out discussing beans piled on a hill.

Old 11-24-2009, 06:47 AM

838 posts, read 2,577,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsup View Post

Hey Wheelsup,

I would really like to know where you get your facts from, but I clearly remember WRAL news announcing at the beginning of this year while recapping events of the previous year that there were more murders in Wake County than there were in Durham County. Yes, I said Wake because many of you that bash Durham in your attempts to compare it with the "Holy City" of Raleigh seems to forget that Durham is a county, and if you want to level the playing field, then compare county to county.

I have no idea what some of us on this site are so up in arms about hearing a gunshot. This is the south as someone said in a previous post, so why is it so strange to hear a gunshot or two especially in the middle of hunting season. I am not a gambling man, but if I had to place a bet on where most of the guns are, I bet you would find out that most of them are in the homes of some of the most affluent neighborhoods in Cary and/or Raleigh not to mention in the most rural parts of NC . Come on people, get a grip, this is America where guns are produced and sold in far larger quantities than Wheat. I lived in New York between 1985-2008 and was not worried about safety because I heard a gunshot, and believe me there were no wood for hunting in Brooklyn, so when you heard gunshots there it was usually fired for some other reason than a deer in some hunter's night vision scope . Like I said in an earlier post, gun play happens even outside 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue yet I do not see the President packing up Sasha and Malia and heading to Raleigh

Old 11-24-2009, 06:49 AM

70 posts, read 324,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KFran View Post
They do turkey shoots late at night -- always after dark. This isn't considered hunting, our neighbors do it in the local ball field after dark. Really, I bet this is what it was, just target shooting for a free turkey.
If it had been hunting or target shooting, I suspect the shooting would have not have continued after a quick "pop pop", which is what I heard. It sounded like a random drive-by or something similar (I've lived in big cities, so yes, I know what that sounds like.)

Old 11-24-2009, 07:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter_Sobchak View Post
If it had been hunting or target shooting, I suspect the shooting would have not have continued after a quick "pop pop", which is what I heard. It sounded like a random drive-by or something similar (I've lived in big cities, so yes, I know what that sounds like.)
I guess they kept on driving and the people shot at said what the heck they are gone we won't call the police. Do we also assume that their neighbors just went back to sleep and didn't call the police or post in a forum? Perhaps the neighbors don't live close enough to be worried so they just ignored it since part of the area is rural. At any rate it is disconcerting I am sure to realize that random noise is out of control in the area. You are the OP and certainly you heard a noise that concerned you and posted a thread to try to find information. That is very normal and appropriate and a good place to ask. The responses have gone down a different path and still after 7 pages no one has come forward and given you any supported answer of what happened regarding your OP. They have tried to make your neighborhood guilty by association because of the general community it is in. Not sure that is what you were seeking. I laugh at all of this because of where I live and when I went to SouthPoint Mall and went a back way that was rural until poof there I was. I had to get use to gunshots or very loud noises at night none of which was ever a crime. Just folks who like to make loud noises however they do it. Other places I have lived a noise like that meant a certain crime. Not very often if at all but shooting guns in public was a big no no no no. Not here.

Old 11-24-2009, 07:30 AM

70 posts, read 324,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post
I guess they kept on driving and the people shot at said what the heck they are gone we won't call the police. Do we also assume that their neighbors just went back to sleep and didn't call the police or post in a forum? Perhaps the neighbors don't live close enough to be worried so they just ignored it since part of the area is rural. At any rate it is disconcerting I am sure to realize that random noise is out of control in the area.
Why are people so defensive with respect to their town? I am not badmouthing Durham, just reporting what I heard.

Maybe it was firecrackers, or microwave popcorn. You guys are right.

Old 11-24-2009, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Why are people so defensive with respect to their town? I am not badmouthing Durham, just reporting what I heard.

Maybe it was firecrackers, or microwave popcorn. You guys are right.
Folks aren't taking issue with you but more with the drama folks have tried to attach to your legitimate question. Folks do like their guns down here. It has gotten quieter where I live as the developments have filled out over the last couple of years but at first. From what I saw going to the mall from a more rural route would say heck yeah it was a gun shot and one of no ill intent.

Old 11-24-2009, 08:59 AM

13,811 posts, read 27,277,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamerican View Post
Hey Wheelsup,

I would really like to know where you get your facts from, but I clearly remember WRAL news announcing at the beginning of this year while recapping events of the previous year that there were more murders in Wake County than there were in Durham County. Yes, I said Wake because many of you that bash Durham in your attempts to compare it with the "Holy City" of Raleigh seems to forget that Durham is a county, and if you want to level the playing field, then compare county to county.

I got my info from here:

//www.city-data.com/city/Raleig...-Carolina.html

//www.city-data.com/city/Durham...-Carolina.html

Those pages are missing a little data which I Googled, the source for the additional numbers was WRAL quoted in an article. No, I don't have them handy.

Those are both the city pages for those cities, not county pages.

The reason I looked up Durham city and Raleigh city is because you stated Raleigh has more murders than Durham. I assumed you were comparing city to city.

If you want to compare county to county, that's fine, although you should've specified that in your original post. I'm not sure why it really matters but according to the links you posted Durham county has more murder than Wake county (however those numbers are suspect because they seem low for both), not to mention it's 1/5 or 20% the size of Wake. In fact, if Wake did have more murders it wouldn't phase me because it's 5x as big as Durham county. I don't have time to Google the info now but I would bet my paycheck that Durham county's murder per capita ratio is higher than that of Wakes.

Old 11-24-2009, 09:35 AM

3,155 posts, read 10,719,439 times
Quote:
But did you report it to the police. ???? The rest of us are only speculating.

Possibly hearing guns shots does not freak me out. Just like witnessing a drug deal in SE Raleigh in broad daylight did not freak me out.

Old 11-24-2009, 09:37 AM
T|K

891 posts, read 2,486,157 times
Durham is not 1/5 the total size of Wake. It is around 35%, actually. So roughly 3x larger, not that it really matters but at least post accurate numbers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary