Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2009, 06:09 PM

1,112 posts, read 2,857,983 times

Advertisements

The section of this road close to the Thomas Brooks baseball park must rate as the worst stretch of road anywhere in the Triangle. The road is falling apart with potholes everywhere and would be considered unacceptable in any 3rd world country. It is a very busy road with lots of construction traffic which will only increase with the 540 extension work now starting.

I would guess from the road layout that the intention was for that section to be replaced as part of Hilliard Forest, but with the issues facing that development it is likely to be several years before that work even starts.

Do we have to wait until a serious accident before the Town of Cary takes any action? even some patching would be better than nothing. Soon as we get the first frosts of winter the road surface will disintegrate even more than it already is.

Maybe the Cary officials have never yet been to West Cary to see the condition of these roads as they busy themselves resurfacing Cary Parkway; maybe a truck load of asphalt sent to Green Level would be an idea

I would love to hear what other Triangle roads are in as bad condition - maybe we could have a prize for the winner
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2009, 06:14 PM

297 posts, read 738,886 times
Yesterday I noticed that the potholes and craters were marked with orange spray paint as if they were going to be patched. One would hope the whole street would be shifted through the undeveloped section of Hilliard Forest so as to avoid the horrible little jog it does at the entrance to the Greystone club house and pool, but like you say, that may take time.

Since Green Level to Durham is changing its name to Green Level Church Rd., that may be a sign that the road is about to undergo improvements, rerouting. or at the very least, resurfacing. One can hope!

Old 11-22-2009, 06:21 PM

187 posts, read 802,133 times
I think it's still named Green Level Church Road before it cuts into Green Level to Durham Road - Anyway, recently - I counted 32 potholes in a 1-1/2 mile stretch & that was just on my side of the road and not counting the ones in the opposing traffics side ;-)

Old 11-22-2009, 06:26 PM

297 posts, read 738,886 times
Quote:
I think it's still named Green Level Church Road before it cuts into Green Level to Durham Road
That's where my hope comes in, Diane. There's a sign on Green Level to Durham at the Carpenter Fire Station intersection alerting the public to a name change, saying that Green Level to Durham will soon be called Green Level Church Road. If they are going to call the road all by the same name, my hope is that they plan to make it all one road by straightening things up at Hilliard Forest. Mr. Holland could use a little more distance between his strawberry patches and Green Level Church Road IMHO.

That road is a wretched stretch of pavement.

Old 11-23-2009, 08:53 AM

166 posts, read 662,548 times
I travel all over the county--a LOT--and this is definitely one of, if not THE, worst road in the county. And it has been like this for several years. Even for being an area under heavy construction, it seems like it has been allowed to get to an extreme and dangerous condition.

Old 11-23-2009, 03:40 PM

187 posts, read 802,133 times
I've lost two hubcaps from my car over the past couple of years because of this road - Ugh!!!! ;(

Old 11-23-2009, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by momof3grls View Post
I travel all over the county--a LOT--and this is definitely one of, if not THE, worst road in the county. And it has been like this for several years. Even for being an area under heavy construction, it seems like it has been allowed to get to an extreme and dangerous condition.
what a shame none of the elected representatives or senior officals of the Town of Cary read the posts on this forum - maybe then they would be shamed into fixing such a dangerous stretch of pavement

Old 11-23-2009, 03:48 PM

1,886 posts, read 4,803,701 times
Old Raleigh Road in Apex between 64 and Laura Duncan is pretty appalling too, but nothing can touch Green Level Church.

Old 11-24-2009, 06:56 AM
T|K

891 posts, read 2,490,325 times
Has anybody reported the pot holes? It is simple to do.

Old 11-24-2009, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by T|K View Post
Has anybody reported the pot holes? It is simple to do.
very easy to do - then waittttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttt

looking at the Town of Cary website there are no plans to do any work on this stretch of road as usual the work will be done by the adjacent developer; in this case Hilliard Forest, which means it will take forever with the difficulties they are currently facing. The pavement is so bad, as everyone has stated, that the road will have to be closed if urgent repairs are not undertaken soon. That will be a significant disruption to West Cary traffic and the 24,000 residents who live in this part of Cary according to last weeks cary news.

Strange thing is that we are talking about 300 yards of road construction to eliminate 'the jog' and replace the worse section of potholes. Surely Cary would want to take control to avoid the 3rd world comments that are so damaging to the 'perfect town image' that it is keen to project. Whereas we have a stalemate that has being going on for over a year and a road crumbling before our eyes.

Cary Park Transportation Improvements (http://www.townofcary.org/Departments/Engineering/Streets_and_Sidewalks/Streets_Projects/Cary_Park_Transportation_Improvements.htm - broken link)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary