Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2009, 12:25 PM

166 posts, read 664,154 times

Advertisements

In addition to those things already mentioned...our table will also have pecan pie and corn pudding. Green beans must be cooked with salt pork/fat back.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2009, 12:32 PM

3,155 posts, read 10,757,253 times
My mama calls it dressing too. She was from Va but has live in Eastern NC since her 20s. My husband calls it stuffing.... his mom was from PA. I don't remember any of our friends family's making oyster stuffing (even the ones whose dads were commercial fisherman). I don't think that is common in NC. Maybe others who grew up in high tide country may know differently.

I laughed at the canned cranberry thing. Living in Oregon (where you can easily get fresh Cranberries) it was practically sacrilegious to use canned "jellied cranberries". So I learned how to make cranberry sauce from scratch. One year we shared Thanksgiving with some friends who grew up in VA. He was so disappointed to hear I was bringing made from scratch cranberry sauce, as he remembered the cut circles of cranberry gelatin from a can displayed neatly on a platter w/ a spring of mint. So of course I brought both to the feast.

Other things I remember at my Granny's table in Eastern NC were: collard greens, turnips, lacy fried corn bread, stewed Irish (pronounced Arsh) Potatoes, and sometimes Chicken and Pastry. And yes, there was always HAM and sometimes turkey and usually fried shrimp.

Old 11-24-2009, 12:46 PM

239 posts, read 1,092,535 times
Default Southern Thanksgiving

After marrying my husband, I was introduced to a Southern Thanksgiving. It is a little different what his mom serves versus what I grew up on.
I have adapted but the biggest shock on the menu was no mashed potatoes and instead they have minute rice.

So this year we will have turkey (which is cooked in the oven overnight-don't open the oven door!!) rice, gravy that is almost clear and has hard- boiled egg in it, dressing (always on the side-never in the turkey), green beans, potato salad, sweet potatoe casserole, a cranberry casserole, cole slaw, devilled eggs, macaroni and cheese, rolls, pumpkin pie and some strange combination of a blueberry/cool whip/mashed banana pie. No alcohol served at the meal (but consumed before or after) as they are Baptist. (It's a huge menu, but the four women split the cooking.)

This is all written with a touch of sarcasm, but I guess it is only because most of us are partial to what we grew up and experienced with holidays and adapting to your spouses traditions can sometimes take time.

Old 11-24-2009, 01:00 PM

932 posts, read 3,097,752 times
Turkey Breast, Cornbread Stuffing, Gravy, Green Bean Casserole, Baked Mac 'n Cheese, Sweet Potatoes, Corn Pudding, Collard Greens, Biscuits...Pecan Pie and Coconut Pie.

Old 11-24-2009, 01:14 PM

502 posts, read 1,392,423 times
Smile Do I see a pattern?

Several mentions of mac & cheese, deviled eggs, and corn pudding... ... being originally from the Upper Midwest, and then a New England Yankee, I've never seen those things at Thanksgiving. Ok, now I'm hungry!

Old 11-24-2009, 02:33 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,827,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by itscolduphere View Post
I have to chuckle... it never ocurred to me that "stuffing" was only referred to as such if it was stuffed inside the bird, and "dressing" is made outside the bird... I guess the two sides of my brain never made the distinction (duh!) I just thought different people called it something different.
Thanks for clearing that up, Francois!
Full disclosure: I, too, had thought it was a regional thing (i.e. that Yankees said "stuffing" and Southerners said "dressing") until I once asked on a website discussion related to regional dialects (having a Lingustics degree and growing up in this area, obviously a fascination of mine), and it was there that someone else pointed out to me that "dressing" and "stuffing" are technically two different things. D'OH!

Quote:
Is "Shoo-Fly" pie a southern thing??
Not at all--I believe that traces to Pennsylvania Dutch "Amish" country.

Old 11-24-2009, 02:36 PM

22,768 posts, read 30,733,597 times
frying a turkey like we do every year.

squash casserole, sweet potato casserole, rice and gravy.... and...uh.. my memory fails me.

Old 11-24-2009, 02:51 PM

1,877 posts, read 5,343,620 times
Turkey, stuffing/dressing, green beans, sweet potato, zucchini/squash casserole, rolls, homemade cranberry sauce, pecan pie, and pumpkin gooey butter cake. And lots of gravy!

Old 11-24-2009, 02:54 PM

7,104 posts, read 11,602,228 times
I didn't know that Bojangles sold fried turkey! Is it weird to want some today? I'm heading north and we won't have fried turkey. In fact there are so many people every year that I usually get one small piece of turkey...so I make another thanksgiving dinner when I get home

Old 11-24-2009, 03:01 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,522,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorasMom View Post
I didn't know that Bojangles sold fried turkey! Is it weird to want some today? I'm heading north and we won't have fried turkey. In fact there are so many people every year that I usually get one small piece of turkey...so I make another thanksgiving dinner when I get home
They only do it for Thanksgiving maybe Christmas. My first impression I was going to get a leg thigh kinda thing but you get the whole bird you can call your local store and see if they got one to hold til you pick it up if you got time or when you get back call and see if they got any left.
It spoil me I didnt run into to dry issues just cook for an hour and its ready
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary