U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-24-2009, 09:14 PM

3 posts, read 8,996 times

Advertisements

OK, OK,
This is similar, but, of course, a bit different.
I will be relocating my family to somewhere of my choice in the NC, SC, TN area as a sales rep. We would love to send the last 2 kids (5th and 7th grade) to Catholic school, but since we have a very strong faith at home, I'm not sure its that critical in a conservative bible based area like this; however if not an excellent CATHOLIC school, then definately an excellent public school district with both elementary and high schools being super. Football and competitive swim teams are a must, and quick airport access, probably GSO, but maybe RDU.
The school aside, there MUST be a young, vibrant, contemporary Roman Catholic Parish very close, preferably within walking distance.
Prefer older architecture, older Mayberry neighborhood (doesn't everyone?)
I googled several areas and this area (Wake County, Chapel Hill area) seemed to consistantly come up fulfilling several of the above... or is there a better area?
Thanks so very much, as this is a very important decision for us.
Bill
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2009, 09:39 PM
rfb

2,054 posts, read 5,631,165 times
In North Raleigh, St. Francis Of Assisi may meet your needs. It is one of the more progressive Catholic parishes in the area. It also has the Franciscan School, a K-8 school. There are several neighborhoods that are within walking distances, such as Harrington Grove and Dominion Park. None of these look like Mayberry, but are closer to the traditional suburban neighborhoods that dot the area. They do have a lot of young children in the area.

This area is very convenient to the airport. Some might argue too convenient, as they reside under the flight path for the RDU airport. You *will* hear airplane noise if you live there. Your tolerance for the noise will determine whether the area is a good choice for you. If you can handle the noise, you will be rewarded with a home in a very nice part of Raleigh.

Old 11-24-2009, 09:46 PM

8,269 posts, read 23,742,621 times
This is NOT, by any means, a conservative, bible based area.

Old 11-25-2009, 05:48 AM

1,357 posts, read 3,798,193 times
You might enjoy Our Lady of Lourdes as a home parish, school for your kids (although I don't think they have hs but there are Catholic hs's around when they get out of ms), and the neighborhood around is very nice, though I'm not sure what it's called. I drive through it/by it every week on my way to the grocery store and love that area. It may be critical as the area isn't conservative and not really very Bible-belt like, as are some other places in the south.

Old 11-25-2009, 06:03 AM
rfb

2,054 posts, read 5,631,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sowk09 View Post
...although I don't think they have hs but there are Catholic hs's around when they get out of ms...
I believe the only Catholic high schools in the Triangle area are Cardinal Gibbons High School and St. Thomas More Academy (http://www.stmacademy.org/stmacademy.org/Home.html - broken link).

Old 11-25-2009, 06:11 AM

271 posts, read 663,761 times
In Cary

We go to St Michael's the Archangel on High House Road. Between Cary Pkwy and Maynard Road.

Old 11-25-2009, 07:37 AM

80 posts, read 219,518 times
Don't know what you mean by "contemporary."

The definite change in the Raleigh diocese with relatively new bishop is to make things more orthodox, IMO. Mirrors what Vatican is wanting.

Our Lady of Lourdes has a really good school and the neighborhood around it (Fallon Park) is really nice. Pricey, but nice.

Other poster was correct about Catholic high schools. Cardinal Gibbons is a good school, both academically and athletically.

I'm partial to Cathedral School, a really really good small old school school. But being downtown, there aren't really houses within walking distance.

St. Mary Magdalene in Apex is in the Scotts Mill neighborhood. It doesn't have a parish attached to it per se. St. Michael the Archangel is a very large parish (I think the largest in the diocese) and there are neighborhoods around it.

Good luck. We've been extremely pleased with Catholic education here in the Triangle.

Old 11-25-2009, 08:15 AM

4,532 posts, read 8,253,174 times
You mentioned proximity to GSO airport, you might want to ask again about that as I believe the drive would be roughly 90mins from Raleigh. Is there a G/boro forum? Unlike Wake Co, I don't believe they've been going thru the growth issues that we've had, perhaps that area would be an option for you. it has gotta be cheaper than this area(?).

BTW - I'd love to know where you heard this is a conservative, bible-based area? Where are you comparing it to? Is there a billboard we don't know about that warns ppl they are entering such as zone FYI - this area has a mix of ppl from different countries, backgrounds, religions, and is a highly educated population. And, it is changing by the day. The natives (God bless 'em) are very gracious, welcoming, and forgiving of those of us who have changed this area.

Old 11-26-2009, 08:10 AM

445 posts, read 1,765,024 times
Since you have your choice of living in NC, SC, or TN, if you haven't already you may want to ask this question on the Charlotte forum. You could get more direct flights out of Charlotte's airport, although you would just have to fly US Air. Charlotte has quite a few Catholic schools spread all over town, I'm not sure though which if any are near the airport.

Old 12-09-2009, 04:44 AM

3 posts, read 8,996 times
Wow, thanks for the posts! I guess I just assume that NC (as a general rule) is more "bible based" and religious than Ft. Lauderdale and Miami. Guess it just depends upon where! By contemporary, I DON'T mean more liberal "progressive" thinking, but rather having a kid-friendly pastor, a "contemporary" music service, but especially a very strong, fun, evangelical youth group, as having friends that are serious about their faith, seems to be the biggest difference at adeloscence. Yes I do find good fares from Charlotte (CLT), but suprisingly even better ones from Asheville (AVL). No I really prefer not to live in an airport noise path, even if its a bargain. Ha, just my preconcieved notion, but it seems contradictory to move to NC from FL intoo more "bustle!"Thanks again,Billdogtorbill
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary