Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2009, 02:28 PM

67 posts, read 165,561 times

Advertisements

I lived in Wilimington for a yr when I was younger. Now I am married and have a six yr old daughter. We are thinking of moving need to know good area with good schools

Any help

Thank you

Lee
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2009, 04:08 PM

15 posts, read 41,678 times
I would recommend Cary, look in the Green Hope or Cary High school district. I'm not sure what the elementary and middle school names are but they're both very good school districts and it's right outside of Raleigh. The homes can be a little pricey but it's worth it!

Old 11-21-2009, 04:19 PM

9,196 posts, read 24,878,534 times
Any other considerations besides "good schools"? What kind of house or apartment will you be looking for? What price range. Do you know where your work will be located? Are there certain types of amenities you would like to be close to?

Old 11-21-2009, 05:09 PM

67 posts, read 165,561 times
We have our own web design company so location isn't the issue but the school system is. The reson we would be moving is housing prices

Last edited by tictime2121; 11-21-2009 at 05:24 PM..

Old 11-22-2009, 07:05 AM

355 posts, read 956,148 times
If you use the "search this forum" feature at the top right side of the Raleigh forum page, you'll find around 300 threads containing the same question. About once a week someone from NY asks the same thing.

Old 11-22-2009, 12:08 PM

1 posts, read 1,536 times
My family and I moved down in 2005 when my daughter was 3. We chose to live in Carrboro due to the schools. The Chapel Hill-Carrboro school district is perennially ranked near the top of all NC districts.

Since my wife and I loved walking around NYC, we chose to live in a neighborhood that is within walking distance to the very quaint village-like downtown area. There is a food cooperative called Weaver Street, which has a beautiful lawn in front where Jazz, Rock, Salsa and Bluegrass bands play for free every Thursday evening and every Sunday of the summer. The kids dance and hula-hoop in front of the bandstand overshadowed by a massive 100 year plus old tree.

Several coffee shops and other interesting retail outlets are nearby including an arts center.

Our neighborhood is full of young professional families with school aged children. Your six year old will be within walking/biking distance of a elementary and middle school. Down the block is the Bolin Creek trail, which terminates at one end at a local park and at the other end at the Chapel Hill High School.

All the best in your move.

Old 11-22-2009, 07:47 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,754,557 times
Are you asking about the whole state, or just the Triangle area? If the whole state, you should bump up a level to the general NC forum. If you are asking about Wilmington again, there is a coastal NC forum, as well.

Old 11-29-2009, 09:50 PM

1,036 posts, read 1,948,894 times
If you're used to the culture and entertainment New York has to offer, you're going to be sorely disappointed with Raleigh. It can't hold a candle to the Big Apple in any way; think bedroom community versus vibrant, exciting metropolis. The traffic has become nearly unmanageable as well. The Triangle used to be a good place to live, but I really can't say that any more.

Old 11-30-2009, 12:25 AM
DPK

4,594 posts, read 5,700,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkCanWrite View Post
If you're used to the culture and entertainment New York has to offer, you're going to be sorely disappointed with Raleigh. It can't hold a candle to the Big Apple in any way; think bedroom community versus vibrant, exciting metropolis. The traffic has become nearly unmanageable as well. The Triangle used to be a good place to live, but I really can't say that any more.
Every city has its ups and downs, pros and cons. No city can compete with NYC in terms of entertainment value, but Raleigh has a diverse history and culture of itself. We have nightlife and there is a ton of stuff to do here. If you can't find something to do than you aren't trying very hard. I can go out after work any night of the week or weekend and have something to keep myself busy with. Be it going to Glenwood South, see a Bulls game, go to the Farmers Market, Progress Energy Center, etc.

And did you really try to bring up traffic? Raleigh traffic is nothing compared to the chaos/stress of NYC traffic.

Last edited by Green Irish Eyes; 11-30-2009 at 06:38 AM.. Reason: Please don't accuse members of trolling.

Old 11-30-2009, 03:57 AM

1,162 posts, read 2,102,337 times
My temp living is five minutes from the city and it takes me anywhere from an hour to an hour and a half to get to work. The Triangle traffic is nothing compared to that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary