U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-16-2007, 09:21 AM

2 posts, read 3,538 times

Advertisements

Hi, all! We are moving to the Raleigh <area> from western NC in the next month or so. Hubby's job will be in downtown.

I have family and friends in N. Raleigh and would like to be RELATIVELY handy to them so I've been looking N of Lynn Rd. and on up past 540, but we've heard the commute from NR into downtown is a bear. We're looking for a nice neighborhood (price range is $300k-ish), family oriented and with shopping because I've lived in the boonies for long enough!
Can anyone provide input on commute times between downtown and: N. Raleigh, Apex, Holly Springs or Fuquay-Varina (apologies if I spelled that wrong!), and can anyone give me an idea of drive-time between N. Raleigh and the other 3 areas??

Also, if you could include thoughts on schools (public or private), that would be great. We have an AG 11 year old and have homeschooled for the last 2 years but a "regular" school is not out of the question.
I'll value any feedback you can provide, most especially on the distances.
Thank you!!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2007, 11:30 AM

997 posts, read 4,517,744 times
Stonehenge in North Raleigh is nice. You would be close to family and friends. It is off of Creedmoor Road inside of 540 so your commute to downtown would 20-30 minutes. The 30 minutes would be with traffic. There is local shopping on Creedmoor. Supermarkets, fast food, dry cleaners etc. Crabtree Valley Mall is 5 minutes down the street. There is a Lowes and Home Depot not far. I have friends who live there and they say that they are assigned to Lynn Road or Jeffreys Grove Elementary. Carroll or West Millbrook Middle. Sanderson or Leesville High. All of these depend on which home your purchase. School assignment can change from year to year so I would check with the www.wcpss.net website to see what the school assignment is for next year if you find a home. Good Luck.

Old 05-16-2007, 11:41 AM

129 posts, read 551,382 times
Travel time can vary for many reasons...1- what time of day are you traveling? 2-what days are you traveling? Are you asking if you locate in another area besides NR to visit your fiends in NR? If so Fuquay is your furthest distance, then followed by Holly Springs, and then Apex to get to NR. There are several subdivisions along Creedmoor Road that intersects with Glenwood and lead you right into downtown.
Consider Stonehenge subdivision...it is large with tennis courts & pool option to join,family oriented, been very well maintained with nice size lots.

Old 05-16-2007, 06:54 PM

2 posts, read 3,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LindaGlover View Post
Travel time can vary for many reasons...1- what time of day are you traveling? 2-what days are you traveling? Are you asking if you locate in another area besides NR to visit your fiends in NR? If so Fuquay is your furthest distance, then followed by Holly Springs, and then Apex to get to NR. There are several subdivisions along Creedmoor Road that intersects with Glenwood and lead you right into downtown.
Consider Stonehenge subdivision...it is large with tennis courts & pool option to join,family oriented, been very well maintained with nice size lots.
Wow, I looked up Stonehenge and about 12 came up! I'm sifting through them now on an MLS site.
My time travel question to downtown relates to husband, and his job is M-F, 8-5 so--the dreaded Rush Hour would apply.
The question of time to NR from the other areas (Apex, HS and F-V) would probably be anything BUT rush hour, and yes--it's just for visiting my fiends (ha, ha).
I know where these places are, map-wise, but I know that city/county planning--or lack thereof!--can turn a short distance into an hour-long commute at certain times of day. (We lived in Charlotte for 7 years back in the '90's; yeesh!)
Sorry for the vagueness of my question. I'll be looking through the forum, too, because I know these questions have probably all been asked--and answered! I can tell this is going to be a great resource for us!

Old 05-16-2007, 08:53 PM

41,486 posts, read 72,311,954 times
I would take a hard look at homes in the North Hills area. Good security because of fantastic location.

Have to figure out if Brooks/Daniels/Sanderson schools work for you.

Old 09-27-2007, 07:58 PM

2 posts, read 6,596 times
Default Stonehenge

My children attend at Jeffreys Grove, and we've been very happy with it. I have a fourth grader AG student, and a first grader. JG is currently a little high in reduced lunch numbers, but that just shows how incredible the staff is as they work with a variety of students. And in Wake County, the make up of the schools is always changing as they switch students around, so comparing the schools might be work for next year, but everything could change in a few more years.

The staff is superb, with a fairly new principal who is proving to be an enthusiastic, talented leader. We also have a strong PTA which provides excellent cultural arts programs every year, as well as generous donations to improve the school.

We live in old Stonehenge and love it. The people are nice, the trees are beautiful, the location ideal--we live out of the county and yet are so close to the city!

Old 09-27-2007, 09:43 PM

9,848 posts, read 29,350,887 times
You are getting some great adivce in this thread. I second the suggestion that you check out North Hills area and Stonehenge. I used to live right next to Stonehenge. It is an awesome established neighborhood. Easy Access to I-540 and a the Crabtree Valley Mall. I work in downtown Raleigh and the Drive from Stonehenge to Downtown took me about 20-25 minutes. The intersection of Creedmoor Road and Glenwood Avenue was always busy during rush hour, but that was the worst part and it really wasn't that bad.

The best part of driving to downtown from Stonehenge is that you will take Glenwood Avenue into downtown which takes you through some great historic areas of Raleigh like Historic Five points. I miss driving through there every day.

I would look into North Hills (Lits of great tuff over there and easy access to downtown) and Stonehenge.

Good Luck.

Old 09-29-2007, 06:47 AM

185 posts, read 259,737 times
Yes, Stonehenge would be a solid choice... especially if you're certain that you'll be commuting downtown. I live just NW off Leesville Rd (just south of I-540) which is handier to RTP, Durham and all points West, yet adds just a few minutes to a DT Raleigh commute (which I've been doing every day for several months now btw).

The advantage is that we're in the "inner assignment zone" (i.e., your chances of being bounced around are near zero) for Leesville schools (Elem., Middle and High) which are among the best public schools in Wake Cty. (i.e., based on test scores [EOG, NAEP, ACT/SAT], diversity, grad & college-bound rates, teacher satisfaction, parental participation/support, IB/AP & crime/drug stats.

Also, you can easily get a solid (but not brand new!), 3,000 sf. home on 1/2 acre for about $350K, pay county (vs. city of Raleigh -- another advantage worth at least $750/yr) taxes and be close to neighborhood shopping (similar to the Creedmoor-Stonehenge area). The only caveat is if your search takes you north of I-540 on Leesville (or even Creedmoor for that matter), be aware of RDU air noise.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary