Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2009, 06:19 AM

240 posts, read 1,289,231 times

Advertisements

Hello,
I went to Best Buy this weekend and they had a 32 inch LCD HDTV for around $539.99 and a 36 inch for $600. They also had some deals for $399 but of course the resolution was not very good on those. Have you seen any good deals on flat screens? I looked at Sears and their prices were about the same as Best Buy. I may look at HH Gregg but I don't know much about them. Any suggestions for where I should go? I used to buy all my electronics from Circuit City but of course they no longer exist. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2009, 06:25 AM

4,477 posts, read 11,613,953 times
When I get I finally get a large LCD, I'll be buying it from Costco. Right now they have a two pack of 40" LCD's for $899.. that's just crazy!

Old 12-02-2009, 06:30 AM

43,264 posts, read 77,033,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adlnc07 View Post
When I get I finally get a large LCD, I'll be buying it from Costco. Right now they have a two pack of 40" LCD's for $899.. that's just crazy!
Hmmm... See if you can get one 80" for the same price.

That is a heckuva deal, though...

The specs determine pricing within sizes.
A 720p will generally be less than a 1080p of the same size.

And, I really like having inputs for HDMI, USB, etc on the side of our plasma.
We did well enough at Best Buy.

I would suggest CompUSA, formerly Tiger Direct on Capitol Blvd.
Other folks here say they buy on line and beat all pricing locally.

Old 12-02-2009, 06:35 AM

718 posts, read 2,972,081 times
I bought all my electronics online www.buydig.com

No tax, free shipping. Bought 2 TV's, blue ray DVD player and a SLR camera from them so far.

Old 12-02-2009, 06:38 AM

6,297 posts, read 16,088,107 times
Someone I know bought a Mitsubishi HDLP 60-inch 1080 TV for $700 at hhgregg two weeks ago.

It was on sale for $899, and then he had a $200 coupon from the Internet.

The picture is absolutely fantastic. He said it didn't look that good in the store because it was hooked up to a crummier source so the picture didn't look as sharp as the more-expensive LCDs and plasmas. (And of course, they'd prefer you buy the more-expensive TVs.) He read a lot of reviews on the Internet before deciding on a DLP.

Every few years, you do have to switch out the bulb, and the cost is $100 (not $200 as they said), and he says it's easy to do. LCDs and plasmas apparently have a "lifespan," but DLPs don't. (Plasma TVs also need replacement bulb.)

Last edited by lovebrentwood; 12-02-2009 at 06:47 AM.. Reason: Replaced lamp with bulb.

Old 12-02-2009, 06:41 AM

450 posts, read 1,552,994 times
I have found Amazon.com to be pretty competitive. As a matter of fact, I purchased my 40" LCD from them about 16 months ago and go a great deal on it ($800 plus a free TiVo HD, plus free shipping). The TV still sells for around $800 by itself today (Samsung LN40A450).

If you are getting a TV that is 46" or less, then 720P is more than enough. You will not notice the difference between 720P and 1080P unless you have a 46" TV or bigger. I won't go so far as to say it's a waste of money, but I wouldn't purchase it.

As for shopping around, check out www.slickdeals.net They list all kinds of deals on TVs all the time, and the people who rate the deals know what they are talking about.

Good luck and happy hunting!

Old 12-02-2009, 06:44 AM

450 posts, read 1,552,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovebrentwood View Post
Every few years, you do have to switch out the lamp, and the cost is $100 (not $200 as they said), and he says it's easy to do. LCDs and plasmas apparently have a "lifespan," but DLPs don't. (Plasma TVs also need replacement lamps.)
It's not the lamp you need to change, it's the bulb.

I have a 52" Samsung DLP that I've owned for almost 4 years. The processor board went bad on it within the first two weeks of owning it but Samsung sent a tech out and replaced it for free (under Warranty, of course).

I have since used that TV every day, for an average of 4 hours on weekdays and 7-8 hours on non-work nights without even a hitch. The bulb is still going strong and I can probably get another 2 years out of it, easy.

Old 12-02-2009, 06:56 AM

4,477 posts, read 11,613,953 times
The part I like best about shopping at Costco is that you don't have pushy salespeople. It feels like I can't buy the smallest thing at Best Buy without five salesmen coming up to ask if I need any help. I really hate that! If I didn't buy at Costco, I'd go with online.

Oh and Costco has a 58" for $1699.. the day the HD Directivo comes out, I'll be out buying a nice big TV for sure!

Old 12-02-2009, 06:57 AM

31,683 posts, read 41,022,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nogard13 View Post
It's not the lamp you need to change, it's the bulb.

I have a 52" Samsung DLP that I've owned for almost 4 years. The processor board went bad on it within the first two weeks of owning it but Samsung sent a tech out and replaced it for free (under Warranty, of course).

I have since used that TV every day, for an average of 4 hours on weekdays and 7-8 hours on non-work nights without even a hitch. The bulb is still going strong and I can probably get another 2 years out of it, easy.
DLP is a high cost to maintain old techology. Good luck finding a bulb for $100 dollars( depending on model and manufacturer) and expect to change it on average see link below depending on use. There is a reason why they became so cheap and are not considered top of the line anymore. You get what you pay for and depending on your tv service provider what you need is different. Directv has much better HDTV service than cable(compression) so depending on service will determine the need. The best deal available is no longer in play. Sony had online their V series with your choice of a PS3 or pure Blu Ray player for:

The above paragraph is from the link
46 inch with choice-$999
52 inch with choice-1499

My son and I were both in the markets for sets last week. He wanted their 46 inch packgage but it was sold out when he tried to order. My taste are more high end and they were satisfied at Big River. Think Brazil and the big river there.

The best source for video information is the AVS forum. Audio Video Science.

http://aim.search.aol.com/search/search?&query=wmar+news&invocationType=tb50-ff-aim-chromesbox-en-us (broken link)
Considering that the average viewer spends four hours per day watching television most lamps in high-end LCD and DLP TV models should last about 5.47 years and the low end models and over 7 years for LED based lamps. However normal DLP televisions could need lamp replacement in as soon as 9 months if you watch a lot of TV. At the end of this article I provide a list of manufactures I have tested and what you can expect as far as lamp life and replacement cost.

Last edited by TuborgP; 12-02-2009 at 07:07 AM..

Old 12-02-2009, 07:11 AM

31,683 posts, read 41,022,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adlnc07 View Post
The part I like best about shopping at Costco is that you don't have pushy salespeople. It feels like I can't buy the smallest thing at Best Buy without five salesmen coming up to ask if I need any help. I really hate that! If I didn't buy at Costco, I'd go with online.

Oh and Costco has a 58" for $1699.. the day the HD Directivo comes out, I'll be out buying a nice big TV for sure!
Costco is about as good as brick and mortar gets.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary