Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2017, 01:32 PM

3 posts, read 5,229 times

Advertisements

Hi folks,

living near Crabtree Mall right now and feel very safe. We were thinking about moving to Clayton but according to certain websites the ratio of sex offenders/people living seems very high...

Would be great if someone could share his/her experience if Clayton is dangerous and how much these numbers actually say.

Thanks for helping!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2017, 03:08 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,832,548 times
There are lots of places you can look up crime statistics for various towns/cities. Also, here is the City-Data page on Clayton--there's a crime index on there among many other things.

Since you live in Raleigh already, just take a drive around Clayton and see what kind of vibe it gives you, or speak to the police department. I have certainly never heard anyone say there is anything to worry about with Clayton. Bear in mind that a lot of the people sex-offender registries were convicted for things like assaulting their own girlfriend, not nice but not, probably, a danger to anybody else. I'd be far more concerned with violent/gun crime than sex offender registries unless they specifically mention child molesters or rapists.

Old 01-04-2017, 07:33 AM

2,819 posts, read 2,585,698 times
I know many people who live in Clayton and all of them feel safe. I think the sex offenders need to be taken with a grain of salt, you can usually see what they situation was on the registry. If it was a 19 year old and a 17 year old I wouldn't be worried. If it was a 40 year old and a 12 year old that's a different story. But overall people I know who live in Clayton really like it (minus the commute).

Old 01-09-2017, 01:58 PM

72 posts, read 91,147 times
We've lived in Clayton for over a year and Garner for four years before that. I feel very safe. I'm a woman and feel just fine walking and running my neighborhood and local greenways by myself. Like any other area, there are more desirable and less desirable areas. I'm near Downtown Clayton, off of 42/70. I hear that there's a little petty theft going on across the tracks, where they put in the new Sheetz, but that's just anecdotal.

I don't even mind the commute. I can be in my office in downtown Raleigh in 25-30 minutes, depending on the time of day. I have friends in Cary who, with traffic figured in, take 20 minutes to get to work. It's an extra 10 minutes, but I don't mind it. (Having commuted through RTP traffic, I can say that it's much much better than that.)

Old 01-10-2017, 08:13 AM

31,683 posts, read 41,050,316 times
Clayton is somewhere between safe and very safe. As with most things it will be your individual neighborhood. Ours is very safe. At a recent HOA meeting one of the board members asked if there was any interest in starting a neighborhood watch program and the answer was a resounding NO!

Old 01-10-2017, 08:20 AM

13,713 posts, read 12,439,565 times
There was a poster on here that used to write about how her kids rolled their eyes that the local paper would report license plate thefts...

Old 01-10-2017, 09:04 AM

5 posts, read 9,539 times
We live in the riverwood area of clayton. It's a nice area. Basically its own little community within a town (since the elementary and middle schools are literally across from each other and right in the neighborhood) as well as grocery stores, gas stations, and little shops/restaurant.

Clayton overall is probably one of the safer areas in the 919 in my opinion. Sure there is crime but then there is crime everywhere really and you are likely far safer in clayton than Raleigh anyway.

The only bad part of clayton is probably the older part (mial st, second street, main street) and I use the term bad mildly. like on a scale of 1 to 10 with 10 being like Detroit or somewhere bad like that, I'd say it's a 1.5 at worst;

Old 01-10-2017, 09:12 AM

34,938 posts, read 36,264,326 times
I think sex offender registries can be tricky. I believe that the bulk of those people probably are people who got into arguments and were in a relationship... including those where one partner was just over the age of consent and one was just under, but they'd been together since they were both under that age. So, yeah... tricky. I am NOT minimizing sexual assault here at all. Just saying that I don't think most of these are strangers attacking people, if that makes sense.

I don't think as I've ever heard of Clayton being referred to as a mecca for sexual predators, though. It's a small town that has grown quickly and as such, has attracted more outsiders than the locals were probably used to attracting. Any kind of change like that will bring both good and bad elements, and it seems like the good far outweigh the bad.

The only thing I'd be worried about in your case is being so close to everything like you are now and switching to being way farther off the beaten path unless Clayton is somehow closer to amenities you need.

Old 01-10-2017, 09:18 AM

31,683 posts, read 41,050,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ouroboros_dude View Post
We live in the riverwood area of clayton. It's a nice area. Basically its own little community within a town (since the elementary and middle schools are literally across from each other and right in the neighborhood) as well as grocery stores, gas stations, and little shops/restaurant.

Clayton overall is probably one of the safer areas in the 919 in my opinion. Sure there is crime but then there is crime everywhere really and you are likely far safer in clayton than Raleigh anyway.

The only bad part of clayton is probably the older part (mial st, second street, main street) and I use the term bad mildly. like on a scale of 1 to 10 with 10 being like Detroit or somewhere bad like that, I'd say it's a 1.5 at worst;
I would agree. We are having a mini crime spree at 40/42 with shops being robbed and a few robberies in the Cleveland area business properties. Robbing someone in a neighborhood around here could get you shot and killed with the castle doctrine stamped on your forehead. This can be lock and load territory.

Old 01-11-2017, 05:57 AM

1,211 posts, read 2,676,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post
I would agree. We are having a mini crime spree at 40/42 with shops being robbed and a few robberies in the Cleveland area business properties. Robbing someone in a neighborhood around here could get you shot and killed with the castle doctrine stamped on your forehead. This can be lock and load territory.

Very unsafe location... Be Careful!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary