Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-05-2009, 10:59 AM

5 posts, read 40,640 times

Advertisements

I live near Shaw University in downtown Raleigh. I have a small lot and I'm trying to design a storage shed that will fit between my house and the neighbor’s house, plus build a play set. I trying to build the shed to a size that would not require permits. I'm in the city so all have to worry about is city building codes not home owners associations. I'm having a hard time getting information on the setbacks and building codes for building a shed and a play set. The only unconfirmed information I have found on the shed thus far is:
1. The shed can’t have any walls 12ft or longer.
2. The shed must be setback at least 3ft from the property line.

Other SHED questions I needed answered were
1. Are the setback and the wall lengths for a shed I have listed above correct?
2. How tall can I build the shed?
3. Can I run electric to the shed for a light and/or electric socket/s?
4. Can I attach the shed to my house? If not how close to the house can I build the shed to my house? (I only have 10’6” between my house and the neighbors)
5. What type of Footing do I have to have for the shed? (Can I build on masonry blocks or have corner posts cemented in the ground)
6. If I add a Lean-Too on the side of the shed (for lawn mower and Hand tools), does the Lean-Too and the wall have to be less then 12ft or does just the wall need to be less then 12ft, thus allowing me to build a 4ft lean too on the side?
7. Can I build more than one shed on the property as long as it is less then 12ft on any wall of the shed?
Shed and Playset Building Codes in Downtown Raleigh-img00343-copy.jpg
I attached a link to a jpeg of the section of yard I would like to build the shed in. From the side of the house to the property line is 10'6". I want to build the shed between the 1st and 2nd window coming from the front of my house. It is 9ft between the windows.

On the Play set I have not been able to locate any building codes. These are the questions I have.
1. Can I anchor the play set in the ground or does it have to be built on top the ground?
2. How tall can the play set be?
3. Can I build an elevated enclosed play deck on the Play set? Is there any size restrictions?
4. What is the setback from the property line for a play set?

Thanks out there for your help!
Jason
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2009, 11:05 AM

814 posts, read 1,999,940 times
I would start here: City of Raleigh | Home Improvements Section (http://www.raleigh-nc.org/portal/server.pt/gateway/PTARGS_0_2_306_202_0_43/http%3B/pt03/DIG_Web_Content/category/Resident/Housing/Home_Improvements/Cat-Index.html - broken link)

If your question is not answered there, I would call the people listed at the bottom of the page.

Old 12-05-2009, 11:07 AM

I look the site over- thanks....Jason

Old 12-05-2009, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Usedtobe VaNC View Post
I would start here: City of Raleigh | Home Improvements Section (http://www.raleigh-nc.org/portal/server.pt/gateway/PTARGS_0_2_306_202_0_43/http%3B/pt03/DIG_Web_Content/category/Resident/Housing/Home_Improvements/Cat-Index.html - broken link)

If your question is not answered there, I would call the people listed at the bottom of the page.
I went to the site and watched the videos- no real details on the questions I'm asking and nothing on play sets. I would like to call someone at inspections to ask but it is Saturday and no one would be able to answer me till Monday. I was hoping to start on Sunday. I would try to call or get in touch with the posts below but most were from outside of Raleigh and code is different in different areas.
Thanks for your help!
Does anyone else have any answers/suggestions???

Old 12-06-2009, 07:54 PM
CYB

108 posts, read 269,951 times
1. Are the setback and the wall lengths for a shed I have listed above correct?
Yes that's correct. And if you build an 11'-11" wall it will be too long after you put on the siding and cornerboards.

2. How tall can I build the shed?
Not
sure, though I think the same 12' dimension rules.

3. Can I run electric to the shed for a light and/or electric socket/s?
Not w/out permit.

4. Can I attach the shed to my house?
Not w/out permit

If not how close to the house can I build the shed to my house?
Don't know about Raleigh but in Cary I once built a shed that came within a half an inch of the customers house (crazy situation) This was approved by Cary zoning.

5. What type of Footing do I have to have for the shed? (Can I build on masonry blocks or have corner posts cemented in the ground)
Blocks are easiest but you can do either.

6. If I add a Lean-Too on the side of the shed (for lawn mower and Hand tools), does the Lean-Too and the wall have to be less then 12ft or does just the wall need to be less then 12ft, thus allowing me to build a 4ft lean too on the side?
The Lean-too counts. So Lean-too plus wall must be under 12'

7. Can I build more than one shed on the property as long as it is less then 12ft on any wall of the shed?
We've done this, but I don't know if it's okay or maybe we've just gotten away with it so far.

Don't know about playsets. Good luck with your projects.

Old 05-10-2010, 12:03 PM

Thanks alot! Sorry it has taken my so long to reply. This helped alot!

Old 02-15-2017, 12:02 PM

1 posts, read 2,724 times
Default Your Shed

Listen! Do not do anything until you see it in writing. I built a 2 story shed close to downtown Raleigh, and like your self I didn't know anything about building codes set back, etc. I would actually go down to the depart of inspection and speak with someone. The city of Raleigh isn't easy to work with.

Old 02-15-2017, 12:17 PM

1,188 posts, read 2,533,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmoore9118 View Post
Listen! Do not do anything until you see it in writing. I built a 2 story shed close to downtown Raleigh, and like your self I didn't know anything about building codes set back, etc. I would actually go down to the depart of inspection and speak with someone. The city of Raleigh isn't easy to work with.
This thread was started 7 years ago
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary