Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2009, 10:01 AM

12,475 posts, read 32,230,653 times

Advertisements

California has fog, mudslides and fires! I'm not sure their climate would make me overlook all that!

Besides, NC has four seasons and I love that! Besides, my job is stable!!!

Vicki
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2009, 10:13 AM

15,216 posts, read 30,545,629 times
Considering the trouble hit hardest where people moved in droves, North Dakotans would probably prefer the huddled masses stay put wherever they are.

Things there would've done just fine if not for half the Northeast and the refugees from the first round of the housing bust from California and Florida landing on NC's doorstep.

Old 12-06-2009, 10:29 AM

9,848 posts, read 30,273,258 times
I think jobs are just one variable in the complex equation people use in their mind when deciding where to live. It is an important variable, but still only a part of the puzzle. Good job growth and good job growth in the field you work in is also a distinction that needs to be made.

Other things that weigh heavily in deciding where to move to usually include:

-Schools
-Cost of housing
-Crime rate
-Weather
-Cultural / Entertainment opportunities
-Proximity to family

I think schools come in second after job opportunity. Let's face it, the biggest concern after jobs that is routinely expressed on this forum is quality of schools. I think the majority of folks will not care how many jobs the media says there are there. If the schools in ND are not the "bee's knees" then all bets are off!

Old 12-06-2009, 10:56 AM

1,489 posts, read 5,692,353 times
I'd move there, I love the snow!

Old 12-06-2009, 03:53 PM

406 posts, read 787,506 times
I won't move anywhere based on media reports...again.

I moved to the triangle for a job and was laid off. I think the media got it very wrong about the Triangle's job market (and so did I) I think it would be easier to look for work closer to friends and family.

Old 12-06-2009, 04:01 PM

92 posts, read 103,007 times
please explain "bee's knees"

Old 12-06-2009, 04:06 PM

92 posts, read 103,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wjsluvskaz View Post
I won't move anywhere based on media reports...again.

I moved to the triangle for a job and was laid off. I think the media got it very wrong about the Triangle's job market (and so did I) I think it would be easier to look for work closer to friends and family.
you should never move anywhere based on what the media says. most places get on lists because they paid for it in one way or another. before moving anywhere, you need to do your own research from multiple sources and in person. if you are in one field, you may do great here. if you are in another, you may have a rough time. i think it is different for everyone and no list can encompass everyone.

besides, what media reports are you finding saying you can get a job as soon as you get here? i haven't seen any reports saying everyone should move here to find an instant job.

Old 12-06-2009, 04:24 PM

406 posts, read 787,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Bojangles View Post

besides, what media reports are you finding saying you can get a job as soon as you get here? i haven't seen any reports saying everyone should move here to find an instant job.
Not many lately, But there were plenty similar to the OP's
story for this area.

Old 12-06-2009, 05:38 PM

12,475 posts, read 32,230,653 times
Our area has always had a good amount of growth. In years past, I noticed that most folks moved here due to a job relocation or having family here. However, In the last few years, I have noticed more and more people move here due to something they read, like the "lists" that are publicized. This change amazes me! Moving is such a big deal, leaving family, friends and jobs behind but people do it as if it is nothing!

Vicki

Old 12-06-2009, 05:58 PM

363 posts, read 1,212,002 times
I hope to live in some other places in this wonderful country, but frankly I am pretty sure Greenland is above ND on my list of places. I hope to tick off Texas and California before I'm gone, and I'd love to visit ND someday... but live there???? I mean why on earth????
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary