Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2009, 01:56 PM

406 posts, read 786,943 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Bojangles View Post
besides, what media reports are you finding saying you can get a job as soon as you get here? i haven't seen any reports saying everyone should move here to find an instant job.
http://www.trianglemls.com/raleigh-bestof_awards.pdf
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2009, 02:34 PM

5,265 posts, read 16,563,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovebrentwood View Post
Sounds good to me!

Parts of western NY are also pretty empty and wide open. Last time I was there, I drove to Niagara Falls from Rochester, along the lake, and I swore we saw about three other cars in two hours. I loved the serenity.

If I hadn't experienced the term, "chilled to the bone," in NY, I think I would consider ND if things didn't turn around here in NC. It would have also continued my habit of living in two-word states that begin with "N."
We used to have a cottage on the lake in Kuckville (Orleans County) so you probably drove very close to it! I agree that's a scenic drive with little traffic to get to Niagara Falls...but it's a lot longer than just hopping on the thruway to Buffalo is it not?

But on the topic of this thread....if say half of the population of Wake County moved to North Dakota (regardless of what city/town...anywhere in the whole state) the state of North Dakota would have a population increase of over 50%.

Old 12-07-2009, 04:08 PM

6,297 posts, read 16,070,788 times
Yes. And your point is?

Our family had a cottage a little east of Pt. Breeze, where my grandmother had a restaurant, and later, we co-owned a bigger restaurant around the corner from her restaurant. Seems like a million years ago.

Quote:
We used to have a cottage on the lake in Kuckville (Orleans County) so you probably drove very close to it! I agree that's a scenic drive with little traffic to get to Niagara Falls...but it's a lot longer than just hopping on the thruway to Buffalo is it not?

Old 12-07-2009, 08:01 PM

2,932 posts, read 7,811,317 times
I really liked the movie "Fargo". That's about all I know about that area.

Old 12-07-2009, 08:33 PM

1,219 posts, read 3,288,465 times
I saw that news report just the other night. It was one of those "so where are the jobs" reports. They interviewed a woman from the Chamber of Commerce in Bismark who said they need to fill somthing like 5,000 positions immediately in all job sectors. It sounded pretty bizarre in these times, but who knows.

They featured a couple who had just moved there from I think Michigan. They packed up a U-Haul and moved into what looked like a really nice split level. When they got there there was fresh snow on the ground, but they were happy to have a house to move in to and a job to go to.

As someone who grew up in the Midwest, yes the winters are horribly cold and long and the summers way too short, but when someone doesn't have a job these days and hasn't had any prospects in months on end that can be very appealing when one has a family to feed.

Old 12-08-2009, 07:12 AM

33 posts, read 83,391 times
Right Now for Fargo, ND:

-8°F
Feels Like
-8°F

NO WAY!!!

Old 12-08-2009, 05:31 PM

Default Choices

If you are in Raleigh, and the temperature is 54°F, and you don't have a job to pay for housing or food, then -8°F isn't so bad.

The coldest I ever remember being was skiing in western NY, and it was -5°F not including wind chill. I remember thinking, "This is not fun." I didn't particularly like skiing, either. But I survived it. (I was there due to peer pressure. ) The newbies to ND will (most likely) happily survive the wicked weather, too.

They'll keep in mind the alternative: homeless and hungry in Raleigh when it's 54°F.

Quote:
Originally Posted by trmiv View Post
Right Now for Fargo, ND:

-8°F
Feels Like
-8°F

NO WAY!!!

Old 12-08-2009, 06:03 PM

92 posts, read 102,778 times
Quote:
If you are in Raleigh, and the temperature is 54°F, and you don't have a job to pay for housing or food, then -8°F isn't so bad.

The coldest I ever remember being was skiing in western NY, and it was -5°F not including wind chill. I remember thinking, "This is not fun." I didn't particularly like skiing, either. But I survived it. (I was there due to peer pressure. ) The newbies to ND will (most likely) happily survive the wicked weather, too.

They'll keep in mind the alternative: homeless and hungry in Raleigh when it's 54°F.
i am sorry things have been so bad for you in nc. you don't seem very happy here, so i don't think you can do much worse in nd. things have been good here for me so i and not considering moving, but if things were as bad for me as they have been for you i would move, but somewhere warmer. this early cold weather we have now is driving me crazy. i hate it, so nd would never work for me.

no matter what your decision is, i hope everything works out for you. it is too bad nc was not able to win you over, but no place is the best place for everyone. best of luck.

Old 12-08-2009, 06:20 PM

406 posts, read 786,943 times
Quote:

You are absolutely right:

Food, clothing, shelter #'s 1-3 ... nice weather way down the list.

Old 12-08-2009, 10:01 PM

Who said things were bad for me in NC?

The only thing I've ever said is that the Triangle isn't paradise and isn't for everyone.

I guess this is his way of telling me not to let the door hit me in the butt on the way out.

Sorry.

I'm here forever. Mwahaha.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Bojangles View Post
i am sorry things have been so bad for you in nc. you don't seem very happy here, so i don't think you can do much worse in nd. things have been good here for me so i and not considering moving, but if things were as bad for me as they have been for you i would move, but somewhere warmer. this early cold weather we have now is driving me crazy. i hate it, so nd would never work for me.

no matter what your decision is, i hope everything works out for you. it is too bad nc was not able to win you over, but no place is the best place for everyone. best of luck.

Last edited by lovebrentwood; 12-08-2009 at 10:11 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary