Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2007, 12:41 PM

548 posts, read 2,647,963 times

Advertisements

Mcfamilyof4,
I don't know where you're going to be living, but at least in Chapel Hill there is what is considered the "walk zone" to a school (it's about a mile I think). There is no bus service within that distance, which can be tough if you live close to the one mile out mark (hard to walkyour elementary student in mid-winter with tiny siblings along), so it's often car is the only option. On the upside, at least in Chapel Hill, you cannot be redistricted if you are within the walk zone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2007, 02:13 PM

149 posts, read 774,104 times
I'm curious...how many of those that have responded to this thread actually HAVE children and have put them on a school bus.

I have no problem going to my grave knowing I was over protective.

Old 05-18-2007, 02:19 PM

574 posts, read 1,209,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luvmyguys View Post
I'm curious...how many of those that have responded to this thread actually HAVE children and have put them on a school bus.

I have no problem going to my grave knowing I was over protective.
Usually it's the parents that say, "it depends". Those with all the black and white answers don't have kids or they'd know that's not how it works!

Old 05-18-2007, 02:28 PM

3,295 posts, read 9,188,072 times
Quote:
Mine is on her own now but when she was young enough to be going to grade/middle/high school, yes I did have her riding the bus. Liz

Old 05-18-2007, 02:34 PM

I am sitting here chuckling because I totally agree with what you said. I always say the biggest expert on any topic is the person who has NEVER actually experienced the topic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HollyMarshall View Post
Usually it's the parents that say, "it depends". Those with all the black and white answers don't have kids or they'd know that's not how it works!

Old 05-18-2007, 02:35 PM

How long ago was that? I have on in middle and two in elemen and I am only comfortable with the MS one taking the bus.

Quote:
Originally Posted by southernlady5464 View Post
Mine is on her own now but when she was young enough to be going to grade/middle/high school, yes I did have her riding the bus. Liz

Old 05-18-2007, 02:40 PM

3,295 posts, read 9,188,072 times
She's just 21 now...graduated in 2003. So it hasn't been ALL that long ago for the MS/HS years. Liz

Old 05-18-2007, 03:10 PM

63 posts, read 184,064 times
Times have changed. I too, rode the bus and walked to get to school. However, if my parents had a known the freaks and weirdos I came across on a regular basis, they would not have allowed it. I have personally seen children snatched in broad daylight on 3 seperate occasions in different areas of the country in the last 14 years. I have 3 children and I not only drive their butts to school but the eldest two carry cell phones when out of my sight unless I am in in the building and it isn't too big. My son is 14 and is not allowed to walk anymore since being jumped by 6 boys in front of the crossing guard who is not allowed to "Do" anything. We live in a mild area compared to where I grew up but it is still dangerous. Most parents feel the same way I do. The people in charge (teachers, bus drivers, etc) are so scared of lawsuits that they have no recourse to stop something if they need to. They wait for the police or resource officer to show up and by that time, the problem has elivated to something horrible. We had a bus driver in the area drive onto a RR track and kill half the bus including her own kid, another was driving under the influence and yet another forgot a kid, parked the bus and went home. So, no, my kids don't ride the bus. Sometimes, I even drive for field trips if I don't know the driver. As for walking, my town doesn't have sidewalks or bike lanes. Not kid friendly, pedestrian friendly or family friendly. If I do let my kids out alone, they are with large groups of friends and have a cell.

Some people would say I shelter my kids too much but what kind of parents don't shelter their kids from the bad things of this world until they are able to handle the problem themselves?

Old 05-18-2007, 03:30 PM

5,644 posts, read 13,228,525 times
I drive my girls to school in the morning because it works best for us, but most afternoons they take the bus home.

My oldest rode the bus to school as a kindergartner in Massachusetts and we had no problems with that.

When we lived in Southern Village, my girls rode their bikes or walked to school.

So I guess we have covered all the bases

I also find it funny that one of the most opinionated posters on this board in regards to "how education should work, and why it doesn't really matter which school your child goes to" freely admits he has no children of his own

Old 05-18-2007, 03:51 PM

68 posts, read 272,352 times
We are settling on our home in cary/apex next month and I was very happy to see that my first grader's school is only 1/2 mile away. There is no bussing option for me-- we'll be walking, biking or driving. I know this can change, but right now I am content in knowing that I will be watching her get to and from school safely. In this day and age there is no such thing as being too overprotective of your elementary age children.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary