Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2009, 12:30 PM

632 posts, read 1,844,681 times

Advertisements

We were already pre-approved with Wells Fargo during our house-hunting (and we were going with them because Relo co. paid our closing costs direct to them--so it benefitted us), but now we've decided to build. We're going to do a "construction perm" loan (1 set of closing costs). Wells Fargo said their applic. for that type took about 2 months, and so I've been looking locally (1 month turn-around) for this.

Other than closing costs, etc., anything to consider between say SunTrust versus BB&T? Anyone with experience shopping between these 2 for mortgages, etc.? Other thoughts/ideas I should be considering?

Thanks!
Tabby
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2009, 06:26 PM

398 posts, read 1,292,516 times
Hi Tabbycats - my husband and I are in a similar situation. Relocation and WellsFargo with the costs paid - make sure the closing is included, as ours only includes loan origination, application and appraisal. Either way, we are buying new construction and WellsFargo only needs 21 calendar days to close. Good luck!

Old 12-10-2009, 09:22 AM

Hi snowapefamily. Congrats! We'd hoped to find something already built that we liked, but it never came together in the right combination (we're too picky). It's wonderful to have some closing costs paid isn't it? We'd have gone with Wells Fargo for a plain mortgage, but when I wanted to switch to a construction perm loan, they said it takes up to 2 months to close. So, I'm shopping........

Old 12-10-2009, 09:45 AM
T|K

891 posts, read 2,496,653 times
I used BB&T and had a great experience. DM me if you want the persons name we used. We used the person out of Chapel Hill.

Old 12-10-2009, 09:51 AM

116 posts, read 366,852 times
Just curious, why is the 2 month closing for the loan bad (other than being slower).

There is a fair chance the land seller will agree to a two month wait (after you sign).

Also, it takes a while to get everything picked out for a new home. You could use the extra month to plan.

As for BBT and Suntrust. I had a lot loan (haven't done construction yet...) through BBT and everything went smoothly. I expect you will not have any major issues with either.

Old 12-10-2009, 01:47 PM

Thanks for the replies! When using BB&T, did you shop around first?

We'd like to get started sooner rather than later (tired of apartment living!) is why I don't care for the thought of a 2-month wait. I've "lived" with this house in my head for awhile now.....picking stuff out hopefully won't take too long (so says an indecisive procrastinator!).

Old 12-10-2009, 03:21 PM

398 posts, read 1,292,516 times
Good luck, TabbyCats! Try to negotiate some of your items in the price - we were able to do that since the builders really want to sell. Good luck with it all!!

Old 12-10-2009, 03:29 PM
T|K

891 posts, read 2,496,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabbyCats View Post
Thanks for the replies! When using BB&T, did you shop around first?

We'd like to get started sooner rather than later (tired of apartment living!) is why I don't care for the thought of a 2-month wait. I've "lived" with this house in my head for awhile now.....picking stuff out hopefully won't take too long (so says an indecisive procrastinator!).
I had Coastal before and I hated them. If I had any problems I could never get in touch with them. I went with BB&T out of recommendations.

Old 12-10-2009, 03:35 PM

I don't know how much "negotiating" there is on a "custom" build (builder has never built this plan before). Perhaps there's negotiating with what types of finishes (or whatever) he customarily offers?

T|K: With the BB&T recommendations that you received, I'm assuming they have to be competitive with rates? With a construction / perm loan, we don't know what the mortgage rate will be up-front (except for a potential cap)--can lock in whatever the current rate is once we're 60 days from completion. No way we can compare in that case.

Thanks!

Old 12-10-2009, 09:06 PM

37 posts, read 215,557 times
Harrington Bank and Capital Bank are two you may want to consider. The first is very open, while the second has some good rates. I have a working relationship with Harrington, and feel they are one of the least known, but willing to work with you banks around here. They are locally owned and operated. North Raleigh and Chapel Hill branch.

Even on a custom build, remember, you are the driver here. Make sure the overall price per square foot is in line with the neighborhood you are building, and finishes match up/ are comparable as well.

Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary