Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2009, 09:05 PM

7,104 posts, read 11,599,760 times

Advertisements

This is so sad - a train hit an SUV that was on the tracks and two children were thrown from the vehicle and died. Traffic blocked the SUV from backing up - horrible story - never, EVER stop on the tracks. I've had people honk like crazy at me to move closer but I refuse to stop on the tracks.

Two children killed in SUV, train collision :: WRAL.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2009, 09:19 PM

1,162 posts, read 2,107,573 times
Thanks for sharing. That poor Mom.

Old 12-10-2009, 04:47 AM

106 posts, read 503,066 times
I can't even imagine what that family is going through. What a sad, sad story.

Old 12-10-2009, 07:03 AM

932 posts, read 3,097,547 times
That's heartbreaking. I never stop on the tracks thanks to Guy Mendenhall at Cary High scaring the hell out of us in Drivers Ed.

Old 12-10-2009, 07:17 AM

675 posts, read 1,833,139 times
Yeah, to all the Johnny/Janey Road Rages out there, think about this next time you're laying on the horn behind me when I slow down in front of train tracks. Same thing happened to friends of my parents several years ago back north, except in that case the traffic signals and arm thingies failed to work. Now I never, ever approach train tracks without slowing down and checking both ways first.

What a crappy way to go.

Old 12-10-2009, 08:31 AM

4,278 posts, read 5,936,083 times
Default One of my greatest fears

This situation has always terrified me, being stopped on the tracks waiting for a light or traffic when a train approaches. I always try to not block intersections when waiting for a light (love the horn honkers behind me) and have never stopped on a rail crossing.

I feel so sorry for this family. Although a horrible tragedy at any time of the year, having this happen immediately before the Christmas period makes it even more cruel. What is normally one of the happiest times of the year (assuming Christian faith) will be marked by inconsolable grief for a lifetime.

Old 12-10-2009, 06:21 PM

92 posts, read 103,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amcjap View Post
Thanks for sharing. That poor Mom.
yes, that poor mom. she is going to have to live the rest of her life knowing she is the cause of her kids death because she did something stupid. it's bad enough when accidents happen, but when you do something really stupid and inexcusable, it's hard to ever recover from that.

Old 12-10-2009, 06:54 PM

26 posts, read 79,102 times
So sad.

The boys are 9 and 6. Maybe there was not enough time for them to abandon the SUV and escape.

Old 12-11-2009, 06:44 AM

9,196 posts, read 24,936,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Bojangles View Post
yes, that poor mom. she is going to have to live the rest of her life knowing she is the cause of her kids death because she did something stupid. it's bad enough when accidents happen, but when you do something really stupid and inexcusable, it's hard to ever recover from that.
That's awfully harsh. This is a dangerous intersection that often gets clogged, and from what I've read she found herself trapped between the gates, stuck between other cars that were in in way (also waiting in the line of traffic) when the gates came down.

From the Durham Herald Sun's original story about this event:
Quote:
"Traffic was so congested that it was bumper to bumper, all the way across the tracks," he said. "The train was coming, but she [the driver] couldn't get out of the way. She couldn't go forward or backward. She was stuck on the tracks."
I'm sure more details will come out as the investigation proceeds.

UPDATE: The N&O has more on this today, echoing what was reported in the Durham Herald Sun yesterday:

Mom Trapped as Train Hit

Quote:
"She tried to back up," said a woman in a 911 call released Thursday. "She couldn't. She was blocked. She was just forced to stay there and the train hit."

Investigators were at the crash scene Thursday, still trying to determine exactly what happened. State officials are exploring what steps they can take to correct issues at a rail crossing that has now seen 11 accidents, two of them fatal, since 1975.

Last edited by CHTransplant; 12-11-2009 at 07:07 AM..

Old 12-11-2009, 07:05 AM

335 posts, read 800,932 times
Trains and traffic are also a fact of life in Greensboro, where I lived for years. When traffic is congested approaching a railroad track, always leave at least one car length in front of you. Never pull up on the tracks if there is even the remotest possibility that the cars are going to suddenly stop and leave you trapped there. Never, never. Maybe it's a Greensboro thing, but nobody ever honked at me or tried to get around me for doing this, and if they did I wouldn't care.

The RR level crossing infrastructure is very different in Europe, where I also used to live. At the nearest crossing to my house in Sweden, they had much more substantial barriers and they closed with considerably more "lead time" before the train arrived. First the barrier on the north side slowwwwly came down, then a good 20 seconds later the other barrier came down, giving anybody who might be on the tracks plenty of time to move before the train arrived at least 60 seconds AFTER the last barrier closed. But then again, there were many pedestrians and bicycles in the area too, so they had to play it extra safe.

Having said that, my heart breaks for this mother and her sons. I hate that we have to have something as salient as this tragedy to teach RR safety. Please be alert, everyone!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary