Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-11-2009, 06:17 AM

277 posts, read 796,114 times

Advertisements

For anyone living in the Pittsboro area - do you have a high speed connection?
We live in Cary right now and have TW. I contacted them and they said they don't offer service to the Pittsboro area.
Hoping there are other options...if I had to go back to dial up I'd go nuts!

Thanks everyone!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2009, 10:40 AM

214 posts, read 999,829 times
Is the house you are making an offer on in one of the subdivisions in town? ie. Potterstone, Powell Place. If so, they do have high speed internet, I'm in Powell Place and we have TWC through Connections since they own the fiber running through our neighborhood.

If it's a stand alone house you have some trouble getting good high speed internet in the area. A lot of Chatham County is still without high speed internet still, which is a real pain for many.

This is a good article that goes over the whole issue
(Chatham's information highway is made of dirt: Life in the slow lane: News: Chatham County)

But if it were me, I would check with your local realtor, they should be able to tell you if the home can get high speed internet and who the providers in the area might be.

Old 12-11-2009, 11:27 AM

4,477 posts, read 11,591,199 times
Ouch - and to think I once thought I'd like to have a house in the country with a little land! I'm way too addicted to high speed internet to ever go without!

Old 12-11-2009, 05:19 PM

242 posts, read 1,211,222 times
If things are that bad for landline based internet service, you can try cellular broadband services through the wireless carrier with best service available to the area. While probably not as good as cable or DSL, still better than dialup, but can also be a bit pricey.

Old 12-13-2009, 04:02 PM

1 posts, read 2,157 times
Check it out before you move. Where I am there is only satellite dish reception for high-speed-no cable, wireless reception is spotty. Dialup is what I use, and it's an incredible pain.

Old 05-27-2010, 10:14 PM

3 posts, read 9,784 times
Woa, time out! Pittsboro has a high rate of access to high speed internet.

Century Link is pressing hard to update the lines and cabinets to provide high speed DSL. When the phone system was under Embark, you didn't have a great chance, but that is now all changing. Check out the facts first.

They got me connected despite a local loop of ~4.7 Miles (That's crazy far!). That are looking into running some new cable to get me connected to a closer switch cabinet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary