Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2009, 05:45 PM

92 posts, read 103,124 times

Advertisements

as it turns out, earthlink setup with a deleting spam blocker and my own email address was blocked, so every time i sent something it deleted. all fixed now. i wonder why the tech could not see that?

regarding a previous comment on being cheap, why pay more for something than i have to? i can't go with a light service and i don't have cable. earthlink was the cheapest while being fast. only time will tell if the are any good, but many people here said they are.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2009, 05:47 PM

9,848 posts, read 30,282,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Bojangles View Post
as it turns out, earthlink setup with a deleting spam blocker and my own email address was blocked, so every time i sent something it deleted. all fixed now. i wonder why the tech could not see that?

regarding a previous comment on being cheap, why pay more for something than i have to? i can't go with a light service and i don't have cable. earthlink was the cheapest while being fast. only time will tell if the are any good, but many people here said they are.
That's right, I forgot you had recently switched from cable to a dish.

Old 12-14-2009, 06:57 PM

776 posts, read 1,684,296 times
Quote:

I've had it for maybe a week longer than you...and I really don't notice much difference in terms of quality of service. Well...besides the increase in downloading speeds...it's amazing how much faster it is compared to RR Lite.

If I had one complaint...it'd be the disconnects that I've had. I'd get the little yellow triangle in the corner of my screen and I'd lose connection, but the modem and router are up fine. Once I reset both modem/router, it comes right back up. I never really had that problem with RR...whenever I'd lose service then...a little reset would never work. In about two weeks of service...it's happened about 5 times, yet hasn't happened in about 5 days, so hopefully it's not going to be a regular occurrence.

I've also done random speedtests (while nothing is running) and on a few occasions, I've been clocked at half the speed.

Old 12-14-2009, 07:01 PM

4,532 posts, read 8,869,784 times
I assumed you had a cable connection. Are we talking dial up for $35 or $45 ? So it saw your outgoing emails as spam and deleted them - weird! I thought the spam fctn was for incoming mail and it goes into that special file. Wonder if your lost emails are in that file (?).

Glad you have it all resolved!

Old 12-14-2009, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaleighLass View Post
I assumed you had a cable connection. Are we talking dial up for $35 or $45 ? So it saw your outgoing emails as spam and deleted them - weird! I thought the spam fctn was for incoming mail and it goes into that special file. Wonder if your lost emails are in that file (?).

Glad you have it all resolved!
i do not have cable television service. earthlink is provided over twc lines.

Old 12-15-2009, 06:37 PM

ugh! now i can't access my email because they say my account is inactive. earthlink has me on a three way call with twc right now. twc just verified my account is active, so now earthlink can't figure out why i am inactive. this is way past unreal.

Old 12-16-2009, 08:53 AM

9,680 posts, read 27,161,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aldamon View Post
Why pay more for the same thing?
Not the same if support for Earthlink is poor.

Old 12-16-2009, 05:04 PM

i have now been deactivated for the 7th time. every time i call, earthlink says it is twc and twc says it is earthlink. they reset it and hours later i get deactivated. i am screaming for a manager, but all the do is read off the same card, saying the same exact thing. this is the worst experience i have ever had.

Old 12-16-2009, 06:28 PM

776 posts, read 1,684,296 times
If it's your service, it should be TWC's doing. In other words, an Earthlink representative out in India will probably not be able to help compared to TWC CSR in Raleigh. I dunno...I switched and I don't have problems like that...when I do I just unplug both modem and router and I'm back up and running.

Old 12-16-2009, 06:41 PM

4,532 posts, read 8,869,784 times
Quote:
i have now been deactivated for the 7th time. every time i call, earthlink says it is twc and twc says it is earthlink. they reset it and hours later i get deactivated. i am screaming for a manager, but all the do is read off the same card, saying the same exact thing. this is the worst experience i have ever had.
I am sorry to hear this! If you recall I mentioned I went thru this TWC pergatory. I got it taken care of once I got to the mgmt level, at that point the guy bent over backwards and was fantastic. CSR are nice, I got to know many by name, but they are limited by training and TW rules.

If you'll forgive me for being so presumptuous, honestly, you can resolve this if you call & firmly ask to speak to a supervisor; do not go over any details with the CSR no matter how hard they try, tell them you have dealt with CSR's since the whole mess started and this has gone beyond that point and you are too upset and need mgmt resolution now.

As I mentioned earlier, you need to get the supv names and ph # and title before you get into things, tell them you want to call them back at their direct # or cell phone if you need them again.

This worked for me, I was ready to dump them until a got thru to a really good supv.

If this fails, go to the top! At one time customers had recourse, the city could accept and help resolved complaints. But now they don't have a franchise with Raleigh and so you have to go to CN Dept Justice - see this update City of Raleigh | Time Warner Cable Terminates Cable Franchise With City Of Raleigh (http://www.raleighnc.gov/portal/server.pt/gateway/PTARGS_0_2_411_208_0_43/http%3B/pt03/DIG_Web_Content/news/public/News-PubAff-Time_Warner_Cable_Termin-20090204-16444584.html - broken link)

i DO feel your pain, it makes you want to scream and tear the cable lines out of your house
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary