Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2012, 11:58 AM

2,267 posts, read 1,943,623 times

Advertisements

I'd definitely get it tested to see if its cancerous before having the surgery. My dog got a huge bump on his rump and we had it removed. It ended up growing back...and in the end it was just a fatty tumor. He's got them all over (for about 3 years now) and is healthy as a 12 year old dog can hope to be. Unless the tumor is restricting movement or causing pain it may be better to leave it be.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2012, 02:56 PM

2 posts, read 3,062 times
Thanks everyone for the help!

Old 08-26-2012, 06:46 PM

51,651 posts, read 25,790,245 times
Thanks to all who posted. Our daughter's dog may need ACL surgery on her left knee. She is taking anti-inflammatory now, but her vet said if she was still favoring her leg in two weeks (which is now), she should bring her back in for x-rays (??) and will likely need surgery which will run close to $2,000. Plus, the vet told her she will likely need an ACL repair on her other need before long as well as often the other knee goes once the first one does.

Yikes!

I'm suggesting she call around to the places suggested above. Thanks a million.

Old 09-05-2012, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adnorris View Post
I go to North Wake Animal Hospital in Wake Forest when my dogs need surgery. They have always been half the price of other vets and he does a great job. Check him out! I haven't been in 2 years but he has been around for a long time.
Thank you adnorris and thanks to all who posted about North Wake Animal Hospital. Daughter took her dog there for ACL repair and so far so good.

Dr. Darch appeared to know what he was doing. Felt her dog's hips and without further ado had her in and x-rayed and told her what the problem was and that she didn't really need to do anything and in any case she didn't need to do it now, that even people often wait for years to do ACL repairs.

When our daughter elected surgery, he told her how much the total cost would be and recommended supplements given what he'd seen on x-rays of her hips and knees.

Surgery, supplements, antibiotics, pain meds, x-rays, visit -- total came to less than a third of what she had been quoted at about a dozen other vet clinics in town.

When I asked how they could do it for so much less than others, receptionist said that they run a no-frills clinic.

Which is true. The floor appears to be a poured concrete garage floor with sand in it for traction. There are no appts., you just wait your turn. The meds are given in wee envelopes not plastic pill containers.

However, the care appears to be top notch. There are two other vets in the practice and the one that did the surgery spent a good half hour explaining things afterwards.

Anyway, dog is doing great. Thanks again.

Old 09-05-2012, 08:33 AM

1,495 posts, read 3,719,746 times
Dr. Jon at Magnolia is wonderful . . he does a lot of volunteer work with the Coalition to Unchain dogs and is well respected. I switched to them and they are more affordable. I think it wouldn't hurt to mention your financial situation...all anyone can say is NO and I find in life I get more YES'!

Old 09-05-2012, 06:01 PM

9,680 posts, read 27,153,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SALUKI_LOVER View Post
Dr. Jon at Magnolia is wonderful . . he does a lot of volunteer work with the Coalition to Unchain dogs and is well respected. I switched to them and they are more affordable. I think it wouldn't hurt to mention your financial situation...all anyone can say is NO and I find in life I get more YES'!
We've used Dr. Jon for our cats for almost 15 years. He loves animals way more than money. A real great guy.

The best!

Old 09-05-2012, 07:36 PM

481 posts, read 1,086,077 times
Previous post with hopefully some good information : I take my dogs to Affordable Animal Care in Durham. Give them a call to see what they can do.

//www.city-data.com/forum/ralei...l#post24493061

Old 10-31-2012, 08:57 AM

Follow up to the ACL surgery at North Wake Animal Hospital. Our daughter's dog healed up beautifully. Running all over the place.

We are taking all our dogs there now. Love their operation. Prices are affordable. Wait time to see vet is short. Dr. Darch knows what he is doing. Thanks for letting us know about his practice.

Old 10-31-2012, 03:17 PM

2,103 posts, read 4,468,873 times
EDIT:I just noticed the original post was years ago but I figured I'd leave this here if anyone else needs info

Why not talk with vets to see if they will work out a payment plan with you. The petcare credit card is quite a scam and rarely gives decent rates or enough credit to pay for a procedure. It is just a credit card; nothing special.

FYI: NCSU vet school is one of the most expensive places in the area to take a pet.

Last edited by saucystargazer; 10-31-2012 at 03:27 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary