Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2009, 02:52 PM

9,196 posts, read 24,932,158 times

Advertisements

My employer's health insurance plan is through CIGNA. We've recently received notices from UNC Health System and CIGNA that they have been unable to reach agreement for 2010 and therefore UNC (and its network fo physicians) may no longer participate with CIGNA. We heard the same thing from the Harris Teeter pharmacist. And I also hear that Rex may be in the same situation.

Does anyone have any insights into what's going on? I hate to think that we may be forced to switch doctors that we've used for many years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2009, 02:56 PM

8,269 posts, read 25,102,359 times
We have CIgna and we are getting the letters about Rex. We got a letter from Rex Healthcare telling us Cigna was the bad guy and we got letters from Rex blaming it on Cigna.

Old 12-13-2009, 03:10 PM

502 posts, read 1,251,447 times
Cigna has a long history of non-payment to doctors/hospitals, so many no longer accept Cigna.

I had Cigna 3 years ago and had a heck of a time finding in-network providers.

I was "dropped" by a doctor because Cigna did not pay in a timely manner, i.e within a year.

Save ALL documentation. Cigna frequently tried to bill me for tests and procedures that I never had. I have had several insurance providers and never experienced the multitude of issues I had while with Cigna.

Old 12-13-2009, 06:36 PM

4,160 posts, read 4,874,021 times
I'm not sure what good it does to send the letters since most people have already locked in their benefit selections for 2010 by now.

The hospitals, doctors, and insurance companies all need each other for survival these days, so I'm sure they'll work out a resolution eventually.

Old 12-13-2009, 07:32 PM

2,270 posts, read 9,146,728 times
We had Cigna when I had my first child and it took them a solid year to fully pay everything. I'd never seen anything so slow. So I'd be inclined to believe Rex/UNC on this one, but the "who is at fault" probably doesn't really matter to you!

It sounds very similar to what happened with United Healthcare a couple of years back. In that case, United did get dropped from Wake Med for a while but ultimately it got resolved. WakeMed, UnitedHealthcare Sign New Contract :: WRAL.com

My bet is that they both will spend a lot of money trying to be hard negotiators, but ultimately this one will get resolved too.

Old 12-14-2009, 04:46 AM

222 posts, read 545,725 times
Cigna is the worst of all the major insurers from the doctors' end. You have to jump through hoops to get everything preauthorized. Even if you do get granted the preauthorization, for some reason, they can still deny the claim. My husband no longer sees Cigna patients because they require so much extra time from the office and because they are the the most common non-payers.

Old 12-14-2009, 07:05 AM

2,135 posts, read 7,655,530 times
We had Cigna but our insurance will change in Jan and I am so glad!

Old 12-14-2009, 07:30 AM
T|K

891 posts, read 2,495,908 times
I have Cigna and I use UNC for my diabetes dr. I haven't seen any of that yet, but that is not good news at all.

Old 12-14-2009, 07:43 AM

8,269 posts, read 25,102,359 times
We've had Cigna for about 2 years and we really haven't had any problems with them from the patient end!

Old 12-14-2009, 05:05 PM

574 posts, read 1,208,907 times
We have Cigna and think it's by far the worst we've ever head. It's really a crap shoot as to what they will cover. Mental health...forget about it...plan to pay out of pocket. The rest...well, you won't know til you get the EOB. I've had simple office visits (in network) kicked back over and over, but then they paid a CT scan without hesitation. It's maddening. I never know if my bill will be $600 or $10, but I do know it will take at least 2 phone calls for them to even acknowledge they received a claim. If the hospitals don't want to deal with them, I can certainly see why!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary