U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-15-2009, 05:19 PM

15 posts, read 23,006 times

Advertisements

Hey Everyone,
I'm a 25yr old from Ohio that will be graduating from professional school in 2011 - I'm considering places in either NC or SC to move to to escape the Ohio winters I will be traveling through NC before Christmas to get an idea of what the area is like and would appreciate any tips on places to see, things to do to get a real feel for how Raleigh area is....

I'd also really appreciate some tips on places (ie what areas of Raleigh, or what subdivisions, outskirt towns etc )that would work well with the following criteria ; low crime, young professionals/younger families, nice housing, nice entertainment (shops, restaurants, bars etc..), avg->above avg. household income areas.

My girlfriend currently makes roughly $60k and my professional degree will start me out roughly in that area also- so we are willing to pay more to live in a nicer area, lower crime etc.

Thank you so much for your help, I greatly appreciate it!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2009, 05:27 PM

6,234 posts, read 14,815,873 times
What is your range for housing?

You must be in healthcare.

Old 12-15-2009, 05:29 PM

21,093 posts, read 25,602,657 times
First, finding a job is the only way to say you will have a specific salary.

Having said that, once you do find employment, the area you live in will partially be dictated by the location of your employer.

I believe most people will suggest you rent for a year or two before buying.

The Raleigh area is BIG and there are many good places to live.

Come and visit. See what you can, but plan on renting and doing most of your serious looking after getting here.

I imagine the same might be true for Charlotte, Greensboro, and Winston-Salem...

Old 12-15-2009, 07:05 PM

We are looking for an area where the houses are roughly $250k ish, but could go either way depending on what fits best.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zthatzmanz28 View Post
First, finding a job is the only way to say you will have a specific salary.

Having said that, once you do find employment, the area you live in will partially be dictated by the location of your employer.

I believe most people will suggest you rent for a year or two before buying.

The Raleigh area is BIG and there are many good places to live.

Come and visit. See what you can, but plan on renting and doing most of your serious looking after getting here.

I imagine the same might be true for Charlotte, Greensboro, and Winston-Salem...

I understand the specific job will dictate the salary- I'm estimating based on the yearly average salary for my profession (keeping in mind it may be lower or higher depending)

Next, I also realize the place I live is going to be dependent on where I secure a position --However, I need to know general areas that are nice places to live in order to research jobs, send applications and take interviews.... I'm not going to send interviews to every city within two states, I'm going to concentrate them based on a good place to live.

I do plan on renting for a a year or so before we buy a house in order to first make sure the position I'm in is where I want to be for several years, and secondly to find the right area around the city that works best for us - however, again, everything is tied into each other, the job dictates the area to live, but I need ideas on areas so I can apply to the right jobs, and the house prices/ avg income areas will also dictate where I look at jobs.

Please give me some ideas of areas to visit that match the criteria seeing as Raleigh is so big....

Thanks

Old 12-15-2009, 09:25 PM

21,093 posts, read 25,602,657 times
What field are you going to be employed in? It would be difficult to say look at Eastern Wake county if you are looking at a job at RTP on the other side of the county.

If you are looking to work around NCSU a commute from the 540 area might be harder.

Guessing if your combined income is around $100K gross (estimate) you are considering $1200 to $1600 month rent to be in an area that has similiar professional folks?

I suppose the first stop might be the Cary area?

If you want to be intown may be the Five Points or Mordecai neighborhoods would be worth looking at?

There are some great neigborhoods north of the beltline and even further north beyond 540 towards Wake Forest.

Old 12-15-2009, 10:04 PM

10,519 posts, read 20,562,897 times
As a GENERAL rule, in Raleigh itself, you'd avoid Southeast and East, and focus more on the North and NW areas (especially if you're expecting to be at Research Triangle Park). "Inside the Beltline" (440) is the "old money" part of town and while very nice, it's expensive and also the most likely to be unwelcoming to transplants ("old Raleigh money", etc).

Towns around Raleigh include Cary, Wake Forest, Apex, and Holly Springs, all with tons of new suburban neighborhoods that should have plenty in your price range, though not a lot in the way of nightlife.

Considering your age and if you both have good jobs, you might look into the many condominium projects going up in and just around downtown? You fit the demographic well. Lots of them are even renting right now.

Old 12-15-2009, 11:05 PM

30 posts, read 115,871 times
I say go to South Carolina :-) Raleigh isn't exactly the young professional capital of the world... the only place that sounds like what you described is Downtown and that is iffy at best. The suburbs like Cary, Apex, Clayton and so forth are quite family oriented but if that is something you want in the future you may find some good subdivisions around here.

Raleigh itself is huge - not many can give you exact areas to live... it's really that large (well, if you're including suburbs)...

Stick to Cary, North Raleigh, NW Raleigh if you are looking for a good area but go to Charleston, SC if you are looking for something hip and urban.

Old 12-15-2009, 11:48 PM

I will be in the Veterinary Medicine field.

We are going to check out Raleigh, Charlotte, and then also head to SC and check out Greenville and Charleston... I'm leaning more towards NC though b/c from what I've been reading SC is a bit more "stuck in the past", for lack of a better phrase, where as NC is a bit more "new aged"..... I could be completely wrong, but this is why we are checking them both out.

I also feel that veterinary medicine may be more important in NC vs SC due to the veterinary college there, helping by keeping up the standard of care, research trickling down and owners opting to do more for their pets health....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary