Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2009, 06:54 PM

60 posts, read 227,468 times

Advertisements

Hello! I am behind in Christmas shopping as always and am now looking for a telescope for my son. I wondered if anyone has any ideas on where to get one? Are there any hobby shops around here? (Meaning near Raleigh) I would prefer not to buy one online I would love to have someone to ask questions to at a store. Thanks so much. Happy Holidays
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2009, 06:58 PM

814 posts, read 2,006,809 times
Call Science Safari in Salt Box Village in Cary. They have all the great science stuff.

Old 12-15-2009, 07:09 PM

242 posts, read 1,213,327 times
For a basic telescope usually BJs (and I would assume costco) usually carries 1 or 2. Havent checked walmarts in store, but they do carry some online.

Old 12-16-2009, 09:16 AM

137 posts, read 552,813 times
I am sorry to say this, but much much much better to do this online nowadays. Many of the small shops have gone away. And, this happens to be an area where the really cheap telescopes from a Costco or Wal Mart or similar are just really poor quality optics.

There are many many online vendors. But here is a good one to take a look at:

Oriontelescopes.com

I have used them in the past. The reason they are pretty good is that in addition to the big names (Celestron and Meade) they carry their own brand, and it is usually cheaper and still decent quality.

Cody

Old 12-16-2009, 09:21 AM

9,196 posts, read 24,934,977 times
Brookstone and WalMart list some on their websites - don't know if their stores carry them.

Old 12-16-2009, 12:55 PM

360 posts, read 995,526 times
Amazon.com is the best place, the prices are good and you can check the reviews to see which ones are worth it. Plus free shipping, and free 2 day shipping if you have a Prime membership (well worth it).

Old 12-16-2009, 04:46 PM

656 posts, read 1,991,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmana View Post
Amazon.com is the best place, the prices are good and you can check the reviews to see which ones are worth it. Plus free shipping, and free 2 day shipping if you have a Prime membership (well worth it).
I agree about Amazon. I just bought one for my son from a store called Optics Planet. through Amazon. I ordered it less than 3 days ago and it will be here tomorrow. The one I ordered for my 5 year old little guy was this: Celestron 21061 AstroMaster 70 AZ Refractor Telescope, $96.99. It got good reviews and I feel like I have some sort of an idea of what I am getting beforehand with all those Amazon reviews.

Old 12-17-2009, 06:15 AM

242 posts, read 796,033 times
Don't know what price range you're looking at but Camcor in Burlington, NC has a nice selection. I bought mine from them. Meade Telescopes: Meade Telescope Parts & Meade Telescope Accessories at Camcor

Southeastern Camera on Atlantic Ave is another option for you to consider. http://southeasterncamera.com/telescope.aspx (broken link)

Old 12-17-2009, 10:51 AM

166 posts, read 664,057 times
I bought one for my husband at the Discovery Chanel store in Crabtree mall a couple of years ago. I don't know if it is still there, but you can always order online. You could also try Hungates at the Cary Towne Center Mall...it is a hobby shop that might carry telescopes.

Old 12-17-2009, 11:08 AM

9,196 posts, read 24,934,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momof3grls View Post
I bought one for my husband at the Discovery Chanel store in Crabtree mall a couple of years ago. I don't know if it is still there, but you can always order online. You could also try Hungates at the Cary Towne Center Mall...it is a hobby shop that might carry telescopes.
I think Discovery shut down its stores.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary